• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elfreedman
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Irvine, CA, USA.

Trouble Taking Apart the Saw

So last weekend, I was putting the saw back in my garage. Unfortunately, I had it back on the castors and grabbed it by the sliding miter table which was loose. I dumped it - broke the main table.

So I found another main table on Ebay and received it in the mail yesterday.

I started to take it off - and man the four screws around the hold the gimbles where the saw pivots are torqued down so much that I cannot get them off - I am really afraid of stripping them.

Is there an trick or tips you guys have to get the main table off and apart from the saw. This turned out to be a way bigger project that I expected it to be because of those four little screws.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

Eric
  • reddog552
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Belleville Il.
    • Bt3000

Freeing screws

I think you are talking about 4 #10 /24 screws. They are probally "gualded" I would try a impact screwdriver. make shure the tabletop is layed flat upside down on a good surface when you wack the screws. GOOD LUCK hope this works.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by reddog552
      I think you are talking about 4 #10 /24 screws. They are probally "gualded" I would try a impact screwdriver. make shure the tabletop is layed flat upside down on a good surface when you wack the screws. GOOD LUCK hope this works.
      I think the word is "galled". The process of galling is a tendency for dissimilar metals aluminum (the top) and steel (the screws) to seize up when tightly fastened due to the electrochemical reaction that literally transports some material from one to the other.

From About.com
      "Galling" of metals
      Definition: A condition whereby excessive friction between high spots results in localized welding with subsequent splitting and a further roughening of rubbing surfaces of one or both of two mating parts.

Like the definition says, its "local" and probably not total. It can be broken loose and will feel really rough. An impact driver is a good suggestion.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• elfreedman
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2004
        • Irvine, CA, USA.

Thanks guys. I did finally get the screws out - put all my weight on it, and they finally came loose.

At least I know how to take apart my saw now if I ever want to part it out. ; )

And learned my lesson about how to be a little more careful in moving the saw about.

Comment

Working...