• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by Stytooner
    I don't think it's structural. Just a shroud. The other side would have to stay though.
    It's occured to me that, in the rare circumstance that I drop a screw while changing throat plates, the shroud performs a useful service...

Of course that doesn't happen much. At least not since the last time i changed a throat plate.

And the time before.

And the time before that...

JR
    JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
      It's occured to me that, in the rare circumstance that I drop a screw while changing throat plates, the shroud performs a useful service...

Of course that doesn't happen much. At least not since the last time i changed a throat plate.

And the time before.

And the time before that...

JR
      Good point... and the arbor nut... and the arbor washer...
      and the screwdriver I"m trying to use to retrieve them...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• billstr
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007

JR, you made me go look at the saw again. The levers do hit the plenum box, but not before they have loosened enough to move the rails. It hasn't been an issue with me though, in 6-7 years of using this arrangement, I haven't wanted to move the back rail. I have the outfeed table attached to it and plan (someday) to mount it to the saw frame instead so the rails will be free. I try not to have to move the front rail either so I don't have to realign it. Fortunately, I can move the front rail a few inches and still catch the back rail with the rear of the fence, and I have been to rip most things I want. I tend to buy quarter sheets of flat goods at a local lumber liquidator, or rip the sheets with a small PC trim saw.

I don't think I would take the shroud off, it might be slightly structural because it has an angle bend in it. But, it would let the air flow too easily on the side away from the motor and the motor might run hotter. There is the occasional thin offcut that goes through the throat plate and I would just as soon have it contained too.

Tom, good point about airflow and volume, both on the saw and on a router box. I was concerned about closing the back of the saw, but it seems that the cross flow from the top vents is enough for good flow. The flow from what would be the open back doesn't do anything for crossflow and cooling the motor anyway. I agree with everyone else, there usually isn't much dust in the bottom to be concerned about. I never make a special trip to retrieve it. Screws, etc., but not sawdust...

Good discussion, Bill

Comment

Working...