• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
    Why recommend just glasses? Wouldn't a $5 HF face shield, be good protection for the WHOLE face?
    Generally face shields don't offer the level of protection that eye glasses offer.

I have used a collet extension with rail and stile bits pretty extensively with no problems. Having said that, I am now putting Triton router in my RT so I will not need the collet extension any longer.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

You missed the "JUST"
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by charger1966
        OK thanks to all, about this table. I am using the 1/4" aluminum plate that came with the table. I did mount the router to that then the plate to the table. The router I have mounted is a Makita clone. 1/2" collet, 2 horsepower. Now with the router all the way up and the collet nut tight I have about 1 1/4" space to the top of the table. The collet extension is 1/2" to 1/2" and extends 1 1/4" so theoretically It should eliminate the nut from being so far down.( I HOPE). I was a Heavy Equipment Mechanic and still have some common sense left so I think I can handle this. Thanks again for the input and safety precautions . I will be safe and smart not injured and stupid. LOL
        Keep Making Sawdust.
        Lance
        Also remember that the energy in a rotating system is the product of the mass, the radius, and the square of the angular velocity (RPMs).
        While the mass and radius will be smaller than you are used to working on the rotational speed will be at least 10x or more than heavy machinery so it gives the other factors a 100x multiplier.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          You missed the "JUST"
          Ya I read that kind of wrong. Glasses plus face shield would be good practice for a lot of applications.

Comment

• eddy merckx
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Western WA
            • Shop Fox Cabinet

Charger

Here's an idea that's a little out there, but I would try it if I were in your shoes. What if you shortened the sliders on your router? I also have one of those Makita knock-offs. I've had to disassemble it a couple of times and found that the base and sliders come off really easily. Just remove ( I think) the adjustable nut and top cap from the height adjuster. It will slide right out. Then you could saw off as much leg as necessary. Costs you nothing and would be safer.

Eddy

Comment

• charger1966
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Amsterdam, New York
              • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

When I had the router apart to remove the springs, I noticed that the base of the router bottoms out against the router assembly. Therefore cutting the rails won't make the router go any farther up. Good idea though. I always like to brainstorm ideas and look for the possibility for results.
              Thanks for the try anyway.
              Keep Making that Sawdust.
              Lance

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have seen some articles about collet extenders that were saying that there are 2 types of those. One type is like MLCS sells. They extend the collet 2" or even more and typically cost around $25 a piece and are maid by many manufacturers. Most articles recommended staying away from those. Another type is called "Xtreme Xtension", made by only one company, extends the collet about 1-1/4" and is of a much better quality. Costs $65 and comes only in 1/2" size with included reducer to 1/4". Again according to reviews - those work well. I tried none - just a book knowledge.
                Alex V

Comment

• Dolsie
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

Another option may be a replacement collet assembly - the one mentioned here:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...nchuckrvu.html

Extends the bit about an extra 1/2 inch or so, and makes it easier to change bits above or below the table.

I have not tried this product (They don't make one for my router) but it might be a safer option.

Comment

Working...