• Show
Clear All
  • charger1966
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Amsterdam, New York
    • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Router Collet Extention

Hello , I was wondering if anyone uses a Collet extension on their router that is mounted to the BT31k table? I found that my router is just barely able to get the bit out of the table with the router extended all the way up. Let me know how you guys solved this please.
    Keep Making saw dust
    Lance
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I do use a collet extension on my BT3 mounted router. Be warned most people consider an extension to be an accident waiting to happen. For this reason I have been very careful to double check that everything is properly tightened before starting the router.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

Charger

I'm sure you already did, but just in case, I'll ask. Did you remove the base from your router before you mounted it? If not, you might be able to get some extra height.

Eddy

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I have a Hitachi M12V in the router acccessory table for my BT and so far, no problems. I did remove the base.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Personally, those router collet extensions scare me.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• charger1966
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Amsterdam, New York

Ok , I did remove the router base and mounted the router to the plate. Then I mounted the plate to the table. The router that I have is a Milwaukie look alike. . I did order a router extension and will test it out when it comes on Friday. If that doesn't work Maybe the next step is to mount the router directly to the table eliminating the plate.
            Thanks for the input . I'll let you guys know how this turns out.
            Keep Making Sawdust.
            Lance

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Lance,

How thick is the plate you are using? Those router extensions scare me too. I ended up looking for bits that have longer shanks - what collet size do you have? The 1/2" shank bits will generally have longer shanks than 1/4" do.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Floral Park, NY
                • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by charger1966
                If that doesn't work Maybe the next step is to mount the router directly to the table eliminating the plate.
                Lance
                Lance,
                How would that help...unless your router table is thinner than your router plate The only way I see that working is if your narrow the area of the table the router will mount to. If so, be careful not to jeapordize the integrity of the table which could lead to sag.

Greg

Comment

• big tim
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                  • SawStop PCS

I did not use the aluminum mounting plate that came with the accessory table but mounted my Bosch directly to the accessory table by drilling and countersinking for the mounting bolts. I did not remove the Bosch base plate. I might still do that some day.

Tim
                  Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Lance
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2005
                    • Haverhill, MA, USA.

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                    Lance,
                    How would that help...unless your router table is thinner than your router plate The only way I see that working is if your narrow the area of the table the router will mount to. If so, be careful not to jeapordize the integrity of the table which could lead to sag.

Greg
                    Greg,

I think Lance (No, Lance is not talking about himself in the third person. ) is mounting his router to the BT3 accessory table, and the metal plate is the one that comes with the accessory kit and mounts under the aluminum table.

Lance, unfortunately I think that will only buy you about 1/8 or 1/4 inch in height, so unless you are really close to being able to do above table changes now, I don't think removing the plate will make an appreciable difference.

-Lance
                    Ex-Armchair Woodworker and newb galoot.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I used one from MLCS in my BT. Scared the be-geeus outa me. Tried it in a dedicated router table, scared the be-geeus outa me again. It's on a shelf with a couple of other items that remind me of money wasted.
                      Others use them and are happy, they are not for me however.

Comment

• T-Bone
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Helena, MT

I also don't use the mounting plate and mount a Triton TRC001 directly to the accessory table. That solved the problem for me. I did have to drill holes in the accessory table to fit the router, though.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

lance,
                          if you insist on trying the router extension you get tomorrow, consider these points I'll offer:
                          1) look at the post counts of those saying to be very careful, scary, etc... if counts mean anything about experience there are lots of experience there.
                          2) if you still are game, make sure the router bit has a 1/2" shank (don't use an adapter to use a 1/4" shank with the 1/2" collet extender)
                          3) take small cuts and push gently, you don't want to put too much side force on the spinning beast with a really long shank.
                          4) wear safety glasses, make sure your health insurance premiums are paid up
                          5) look at the following web page to see what man-meets-router bit does.

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...rts_finger.htm
                          (no, he was not using an extension)

6) I could not find any pictures but I have seen pics of router bits all bent to heck - they get bent just the tiniest bit and then the cetrifugal force of spinning at 20,000+ RPM takes them and whups 'em around and they hit the router base and pieces of carbide come flying off and all kinds of other bad things happen. With a 2" long extension you have a pretty long lever to bend and get out of whack.

I have a lot of respect for routers. Just be careful.

Incidentally, how much are you lacking?
                          I know all the books say to insert bit to bottom of the collet then pull up 1/16th inch or so. But if you are only short 1/4" or so I'd venture to say it's a whole lot safer to pull out the bit 1/4" more than to use a collet extender. Just make sure that 3/4 of the bits shank (starting where the cutters or body is) is in the collet - that would generally be 3/4" inch or more.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• charger1966
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Amsterdam, New York

OK thanks to all, about this table. I am using the 1/4" aluminum plate that came with the table. I did mount the router to that then the plate to the table. The router I have mounted is a Makita clone. 1/2" collet, 2 horsepower. Now with the router all the way up and the collet nut tight I have about 1 1/4" space to the top of the table. The collet extension is 1/2" to 1/2" and extends 1 1/4" so theoretically It should eliminate the nut from being so far down.( I HOPE). I was a Heavy Equipment Mechanic and still have some common sense left so I think I can handle this. Thanks again for the input and safety precautions . I will be safe and smart not injured and stupid. LOL
                            Keep Making Sawdust.
                            Lance

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              lance,
                              4) wear safety glasses, make sure your health insurance premiums are paid up

Why recommend just glasses? Wouldn't a $5 HF face shield, be good protection for the WHOLE face?
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...