• Show
Clear All
  • vrbradley
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Raytown, Mo, USA.
    • Sears (BT3000)

Legs for extension rails

I know I've seen several posts about making your own legs to support the extension rails, but as my wife says"I can never find anything that isn't in the shop"
    I'm finally ready to install the rails I've had for over a year and I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has done this.

thanks
    Vaughn \"Brad\" Bradley
    \"Eat an elephant one bite at a time\"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by vrbradley
    I know I've seen several posts about making your own legs to support the extension rails, but as my wife says"I can never find anything that isn't in the shop"
    I'm finally ready to install the rails I've had for over a year and I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has done this.

thanks
    seems like a few 2x2 and 1x2, some screws and a teeny bit of imagination should do fine for some kind of H-frame.
    Oh yeah, you need a few of the right T-nuts and some matching bolts.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I used 2" aluminum agle stock cut to the right length drill 2 holes for bolts into t-nuts and add 2 cross members of wood 1 at the floor and 1 at the height of the saw stand. Drill through the aluminum and screw in the crossmembers. A piece of plywood from the upper crossmember to the stand will creat a quick shelf and stabilize the legs.
      I'm not at home this weekend or I'd add a picture of mine.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

When I made mine I made it adjustable in case I ever moved it to a spot that did not match where it sat. This turned out to be the wrong thing to do as with heavy use the ends of the rails would sag, pushing the support down. Mine was just a ladder type arrangement. What I now have is a saw cart mostly a copy of Sam's Maroon and Maple in the articles section.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I had a pair of 1x2 poplar legs with threaded inserts in the bottom, and screw in feet, so that I could adjust it. The top was then attached to the table and a wooden support of my torsion box extension table.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening VR..

I have the right extention table anchored to the MDF extention with 3 sheet metal screws. I drilled 3 holes in the of the actual BT extension table lip and tied the MDF to that outside end with the 2 1/4" X 2 1/4" legs supporting the other end. Rear extensions are done similar.

I had no pre-existing plan with the exception of a cup of coffee and deep thought as I stare at the objective. In other words.. "wing it" as ideas will come if you stare intensely enough and drink enough coffee! ha.. ha...

Regards...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• jhgrady
              Established Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Alexandria, Va, USA.

1" X 5" mending plates by Stanley slid into the bottom of the rails - 2x4's with leveling feet attached to the plates make for a quick solution.

The plates are avail at HD for $1 or so.

Hope this helps.

John

Comment

Working...