This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weston

Best alternative to the BT3100?

Hello from another first poster. I've been eyeing the Craftsman 21829 (currently on sale for $399) but wonder how much like the BT3100 it really is. I'm basing my high opinion of the Craftsman on the reputation of the BT3100 and the reports that it's the next version of that saw. I've never used or owned either.

Is the Craftsman a belt drive saw as I believe the BT3100 was? I cannot find a service or parts manual online yet and the guy at Sears says it's direct drive but didn't know where the owners manual was. Doesn't that make it a little less attractive than a belt drive saw?

I want to buy a portable saw within the next few weeks. My requirements are portability, accuracy, minimum 24" rip capacity, and, of course, solid quality construction. The Bosch 4000-09 gets very high marks in most comparison reviews I've read and I must say it looks like a heck of a saw, but the user following of the Ryobis is incredible. I realize this is a BT3x forum, but does anyone have any opinions of other competing saws I should consider or is the Sears currently the best of the best for under $400?

Thanks.

Weston
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

it's very like the BT3100, the differences I think are in my FAQ linked below.
    The basic saw, motor, sliding miter table and fence and rail system is the same.
    These are the main elements that give it the accuracy and smoothness that are acclaimed.
    Youll find some difference in the router mounting aux table, the stand and the blade.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Weston

Wow. Thank you. That's a lot of information.

So, the BT3100 IS a belt drive saw, I gather. Do you know if the Craftsman is as well? I understand that it's about the same saw, but the Sears guy thought the Craftsman was a direct drive saw. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but I am curious at least.

Weston

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Weston
        Wow. Thank you. That's a lot of information.

So, the BT3100 IS a belt drive saw, I gather. Do you know if the Craftsman is as well? I understand that it's about the same saw, but the Sears guy thought the Craftsman was a direct drive saw. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but I am curious at least.

Weston
        yeah, I said, the motor section is indentical.

didn't your mommy tell you not to believe salesmen?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

It took me a minute to find it, but 315.21829000 is the model number. I just searched via the Craftsman parts site and the first item (table assy), shows the belts as item number 38.

Now, just for clarification, one of the reasons these people think it's not belt drive, is the motor isn't hanging out the back. This is really a first gen hybrid design in a way.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Weston

Well, there's the problem. I searched the parts site the other day but I was using 21829 and 009.21829000 based on the saw's item number (921829 IIRC) on the Sears web site and nothing turned up. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for trusting a salesman, that's why I followed up with a question here.

Weston

Comment

• ofna89
              Established Member
              • Dec 2006
              • Portland Maine

If you are part of the Craftsman club the 21829 are $359 starting January 7-15.

Comment

• rlah
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • Indiana
                • Craftsman 21829

BT3Craftsman

Originally posted by ofna89
                If you are part of the Craftsman club the 21829 are $359 starting January 7-15.
                Wow! That's the same price as I got on "Black Friday"! I would encourage anyone sitting on the fence to jump on that deal... this machine is the one to keep this forum alive for many more years. It still may be a little pricey for some, but 1) the mobile base is a dream, 2) the accessory table has miter slots with miter gauge included, 3) comes with router hookup accessories, 4) it's cheaper than other "big name" saws, and 5) it's a Ryobi BT3X - actually BT3100 - with full service and support at this website (and lesser support at Sears and Ryobi).

Although someone elsewhere reported that Ryobi may be coming out with a BT3X replacement, I highly doubt it... they have let this line go offline too long. If their marketing thought it was so important, they would never have let it go this long without a Ryobi name on it. I think Ryobi has made the decision long ago to hand it over to Craftsman for good... and I hope a long time. This is the saw for the rest of my woodworking days.

rlah

Comment

• duragauge
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

I believe this is the link to sign up for the Crafsman Club

Has anyone used the 10% off purchases at Sears.com rebate that's been on Fatwallet for a few weeks? It's supposed to be valid until 2/28/07.

I've attached it as a pdf but have no idea how well it works.

I suppose then, theoretically, that if you could get 10% off the $359 Craftsman Club price and have it delivered to the store you could walk away with a new 21829 for just $323.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ofna89
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2006
                    • Portland Maine

I bought a 21829 3 weeks ago, my first ts and I like it. Granted I have nothing to compare it to. When I bought it, price was $449. I got it down to $399 with a free 2 year master protection agreement. When I saw the new club flier they have it for $359. I signed up for the CC Oct 3 and still havent received anything from them yet but they can verify membership by calling a phone#. Sears says I still qualify for the additional money off.If you want this saw at $359 call and sign up by phone not by mail. I guess not all sears will verify by the phone for membership but its worth a try. Sale ends on the 15 so hurry. If anyone wants the # to sign up let me know.

Comment

Working...