Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

45 Degree Bevel Cut

What am I missing?

I need to cut some 45 degree bevels with the BT3100 but found that the blade will not go all the way over to 45 degrees with the Shark splitter in place. I tried it with the Ryobi throat plate and with a ZCTP plate that had been widened to allow some beveling. I have not had any problems with other bevel cuts (up to about 35 degrees).

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I have a Jim Frye type articulating plate blocking off the back of my BT3100. It works but often sticks a bit and needs a little encouragement. Could it be something like that or a hangup on the DC connection?

If not, I would look at the stop screw. The BT3100 has a stop for 90 and 45 degrees that is adjustable if I remember right. Maybe your 45 degree stop is really set to 44 degrees or something like that.

Jim

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by JimD
      I have a Jim Frye type articulating plate blocking off the back of my BT3100. It works but often sticks a bit and needs a little encouragement. Could it be something like that or a hangup on the DC connection?

If not, I would look at the stop screw. The BT3100 has a stop for 90 and 45 degrees that is adjustable if I remember right. Maybe your 45 degree stop is really set to 44 degrees or something like that.

Jim
      Thanks for the suggestion.

However, even with the shark guard and it's mounting brackets removed (leaving only the riving knife) I still can't get the bevel over to 45 degrees.

The riving knife hits the edge of the throat plate at about 35 degrees and won't allow any additional travel. I am reluctant to cut without using the riving knife.

Regards.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by steve-norrell
        Thanks for the suggestion.

However, even with the shark guard and it's mounting brackets removed (leaving only the riving knife) I still can't get the bevel over to 45 degrees.

The riving knife hits the edge of the throat plate at about 35 degrees and won't allow any additional travel. I am reluctant to cut without using the riving knife.

Regards.
        You will either have to modify your ZCTP more or make a special one for 45 degree bevel cuts OR go back to the original stock throat plate (which is what I usually do.)
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          You will either have to modify your ZCTP more or make a special one for 45 degree bevel cuts OR go back to the original stock throat plate (which is what I usually do.)
          Loring,

I tried the original Ryobi TP, but I still couldn't get the blade all the way over to 45 degrees with the shark's riving knife in position. What am I doing wrong?

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Is the back of the riving knife rubbing on the opening? Will it move into position without the riving knife (i.e. do you know it's the riving knife that's the problem)?

I wouldn't operate the saw without the riving knife, either.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • BT3100-1

EMBARRASSED, EMBARRASSED

OK, I am almost too embarrassed to confess.

I was getting ready to take a photo of my 'problem' when I tried setting the bevel without a throat plate in position. It was then that I discovered that the saw would still not go all the way over to 45 degrees.

Closer examination showed that the dust collector (at the back of the saw) was interferring with full movement of the blade. I was using a 90 degree bend to direct the dust collector hose to the side and found that it interferred with the full range of movement of the blade.

As I said, it is almost too embarrassing to mention.

This has got to rank right up there with "Are you sure the plug is inserted into an outlet?"

But I did want to thank everyone for trying to solve my non-problem.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

You'll have to do better than that to be eligible for much embarrassment. It doesn't even sound like you had the saw completely torn apart or exchanged multiple times.

Glad you got it all figured out, with an easy fix.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• gmack5
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Thanks for the "Heads Up"

EMBARRASSED, EMBARRASSED
                  Closer examination showed that the dust collector (at the back of the saw) was interferring with full movement of the blade. I was using a 90 degree bend to direct the dust collector hose to the side and found that it interferred with the full range of movement of the blade.

But I did want to thank everyone for trying to solve my non-problem.
                  By adding your "discovered" solution, you've turned this thread into a "Heads Up" for others that have the 90 degree Elbow installed on their Saw.

Good job and Thanks again! (I'm one of those that has a 90 degree Elbow on his Saw too). I took the one off of the Dust Bag that came in the Accessory Kit, works great!
                  Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                  Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                  George

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

I just saw this thread and the drama was building as I was reading it. I am glad it was a happy ending. We all have head scratchers every now and then. I think it's a normal human conflict between the left and right brain. If we never made or saw any mistakes, hw would we learn anything?
                    Lee

Comment

• steve-norrell
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • BT3100-1

Thanks for all the input with a special thanks to JimD for picking up on the dust collector issue.

I had set the 90-elbow so that it was horizontal and pointing to the left (3:00 o'clock as you look at the back of the saw) and I also had a 2 1/2 in. collection hose attached. It bumped up against the underside of the back rail when I tried to reach 45 degrees. I had been using that arrangement for several months, but only recently tried to make some 45 degree bevel cuts.

If the outlet had been pointing to the right (to 9:00 o'clock), or set at about a 30 degree angle off horizontal (4:00 or 5:00 o'clock), there would have been no problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...