Clear All
  • Veramacor
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006
    • Macomb Twp, Mich
    • BT3100

No Frills Dado Blade for BT

Hi there,

"Wood"n't ya know - typical newbie question. I'm looking for a basic dado blade set that has been proven to work well with the BT. Any of you Old BT hands want to render your opinion?

I'm looking to build a MDF cabinet for starters and would like to 3/4" dado the shelving.

Thanks!

Jeff
    Rule #1: Never worry about the little things.
    Rule #2: EVERYTHING is a little thing.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Frued SD206! by far the most popular! Not the set I use but you did not ask what I use.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

dado blade....

I have the inexpensive dado blade set from harbor freight ....it fits the bt3100
      fine and works great for me, no complaints so far...and about $19.95 I think when I bought it several months ago. Just be sure and qualify the setup on a scrap piece of wood same dimension as you project wood and if all is set right you should be good to go. eezlock

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by eezlock
        I have the inexpensive dado blade set from harbor freight ....it fits the bt3100
        fine and works great for me, no complaints so far...and about $19.95 I think when I bought it several months ago. Just be sure and qualify the setup on a scrap piece of wood same dimension as you project wood and if all is set right you should be good to go. eezlock
        Hmmm, better check the maximum rpm for that blade and the rpm on the BT, if it's the 8" job it's not rated to spin at BT speed.
        Respectfully,
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I have the freud sd208 (8" blade) it works great but is a little big for the saw the sd206 (6") would be a better choice.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

I have and like the Avenger 6" set. As Mark said, you can't go wrong with the SD206 either.

Comment

• jziegler
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Salem, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

If you want basic and can still find it somewhere, the Avenger is a good blade. It cuts nicely. It's not quite as easy to setup, the plates are thinnner than some other blades. The Freud blades get great reviews, but can be pricey when not on sale.

A saw blade is one thing that I would probably avoid from HF.

Jim

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

dado blade

Originally posted by wardprobst
                Hmmm, better check the maximum rpm for that blade and the rpm on the BT, if it's the 8" job it's not rated to spin at BT speed.
                Respectfully,
                DP
                I have used it for several months, cut lots of dados with it,never
                had a problem so far. I bought it upon recomendation from an old time
                woodworker and friend, he uses it on his ts2424 saw no problem there either
                it cuts good clean flat bottomed dados everytime! eezlock

Comment

• Ishmel
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2005
                  • St. Cloud, MN.

Has anyone tried (or heard of) the freud SD306 set? What's the difference between that and the 200 or 500 series?

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I generally try to avoid answering the question not asked, but ... do you have a router? If so, this old thread of mine will show you an alternative that you may not have considered:

This forum is the place to ask questions about getting started in woodworking. Topics like "what tools should I buy" and "what is the best project for a new woodworker" belong here. The phrase "this may be a stupid question" is not allowed here as there are no stupid questions.

I also have the Freud SD206, and use it a lot; and I do believe that a dado set is something that every woodworker will eventually want to own. Still, it's a specialized tool that can slide pretty far down the priority list since there are other ways to do the same job. A dado set only comes into its own when you have a lot of grooves to cut. Even though I own one, I usually use my router dado jigs if I have only a handful of dados to cut: they're simpler and faster than breaking down the table saw.

Offered FWIW.

BTW I like your sig line "rules" ... kind of a different way of saying what my own says.
                    Larry

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Ishmel
                      Has anyone tried (or heard of) the freud SD306 set? What's the difference between that and the 200 or 500 series?

Other that price, and possibly the packing, I don't know what is the difference between Freud's SD206 and SD306. SD506 however is another matter that I think I remember being discussed around last Feb. It's their dial a width dado blade, and it requires a longer arbor then lot's of tablesaws that people buy it for. (seen several discussions where the arbor nut wouldn't fit after putting it on). Hopefully someone can chime in on the other two?
                      Edited
                      Found a review online from American Woodworker. It compared 26 different blade sets (pdf has copyright of 2003). The difference between the 206 and 306 they list, is the OUTSIDE blades. The SD206 and SD506 (best value and editors choice, in that order), BOTH have negative hook angles (less tear out). The SD306 has positive, for a more aggressive cut, and less pressure for a feed rate.
                      Guess this suff is easy to find, when I get my head removed, and try some different search terms.
                      Last edited by LinuxRandal; 10-19-2006, 11:28 AM. Reason: learned something of interest
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think I covered the BT3 dado issue quite well in the BT3 FAQ, linked at the bottom of my sig below.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Veramacor
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2006
                          • Macomb Twp, Mich
                          • BT3100

That router jig is a great solution. I do have a router that I could use that for. But my eventual blade caddy is going to be lonely without a nice dado set!

Thanks for the advice!
                          Rule #1: Never worry about the little things.
                          Rule #2: EVERYTHING is a little thing.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            I think I covered the BT3 dado issue quite well in the BT3 FAQ, linked at the bottom of my sig below.

You might actually want to add, what the difference is between these blades, as it's a valid question that I think a lot of people wonder about. (why use the sd206 over the 306 or 506)

Thanks
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I have the HF 8 inch dado set and also the Freud 206. I did not have a problem with the HF on the BT3100 but stopped using it when I verified it is, indeed, not rated for the speed of the BT3100. It would probably be OK but the potential consequences if a carbide tooth came off did not seem worth it. It is also an 8 inch set which others have reported problem with on the BT3100. I did not have an issue but clearance was small. The dados cut by the HF set also cannot be compared to the quality of those cut by the Freud 206. The bottom of the dado with the HF is fairly rough. Not unusable but not smooth either. The Freud cuts a flat bottom like you would get with a router bit.

If you cut dados with a router, it will work fine but the bit will not last real long - especially in made made materials. A dado set is using a lot more carbide spread over all the teeth so it will hold up longer - but also costs more both initially and to get sharpened.

Jim

Comment

Working...