• Show
Clear All
  • mrojec
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Englewood, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

?Too much commutator spark?

Call me stubborn, but I guess I was just more than a little bit irritated at not being able to get new brushes for my pre-'96 BT3000. So, I jury-rigged some off the shelf brushes that are thinner than the originals. I figured, what the heck, the motor is shot, anyway, and the guy at the motor shop took such pity on me that he didn't charge me for the new brushes. Anyway, the motor runs (not under load) with the new brushes, but there's a fair bit of arcing at the commutator. Will it work, or just fry eventually? Will the brushes conform to the shape of the commutator with time and arc less? Should I get second job to take up what some of you probably think is too much spare time and use the money to buy a new saw?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't have a lot of experience but I think arcing is normal and will improve as the brushes wear in.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Yep. New brushes do arc pretty good. Stinks too. If they are not a good fit, I don't think they will last very long. I think I would bite the bullet and pick up another motor from a part out. The newer motors have more umph anyway and I think you would be happier in the long run.

Sad to see it go but I've tried like heck to fix the shim problem and was 99% there when I stripped out a set screw. Tried drilling and tapping it and broke the tap. I've spent three days on this old beauty and I'm throwing in the towel. Sad thing is I just ordered brand new parts because I was going to build a mobile
      Last edited by Stytooner; 09-22-2006, 07:29 AM.
      Lee

Comment

Working...