Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Do you trust the rip scale on your BT?

We need a new poll.

How many people use the rip fence inch markings as the primary means of setting the rip width?
    Yes, I trust the scale to set the rip width, always
    22.89%
    Yes, but I check closely after using it.
    18.67%
    No, I always use a scale or tape to set the rip width
    58.43%

The poll is expired.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Never have used the rail scale on my BT, just always measured with a tape and went from there.

The Beis on the new Delta hybrid saw is a different story.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I always check with a steel rule.The plastic thingy on the fence can move and you would'nt know.Also changing between saw blades, thin kerf and regular kerf changes the distance. I don't trust any of the scales on the saw.I measure witrh known good scales and angles. I use a ruler as little as I can, I do most cuts by fit and feel. Its just my way of doing things, it works for me.
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• rickd
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by WayneJ
        .......Also changing between saw blades, thin kerf and regular kerf changes the distance. ..................Wayne
        i've always used the 'rail scale' as it has been dead-on accurate ever since i set it up. occasionally, i'll do a double-check, but so far i've never had to adjust.

i have a question re waynes point of thin-kerf vs regular kerf blades and measurement. if the spacers on the arbour stay the same, why would the rip scale measurement change? wouldn't the distance from the right edge of the blade, thin or regular, be exactly the same? i only use reg kerf anyway, but i don't see how it should make any difference.
        rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Papa
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Williamsburg, VA
          • Ryobi BT3000

I never trust the rip scale for anything but getting the fence in the general area. Years ago, I formed the habit of measuring the distance from the closest tooth (i.e., the tooth pitched toward the fence) to the rip fence. I notice that Norm Abrams does about the same thing.

Warren Bell
          PAPA (formerly LEADBELL)

Comment

• jnesmith
            • Jan 2003
            • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I measure with a steel rule. 6", 12", 18", depending on the width of the rip. Just takes a sec, and I never have to wonder.
            John

Comment

• RodKirby
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by jnesmith
              I measure with a steel rule. 6", 12", 18", depending on the width of the rip. Just takes a sec, and I never have to wonder.
              Ditto - even works on my "Darkside"
              Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• spazlab

Originally posted by rickd
                i have a question re waynes point of thin-kerf vs regular kerf blades and measurement. if the spacers on the arbour stay the same, why would the rip scale measurement change? wouldn't the distance from the right edge of the blade, thin or regular, be exactly the same?
                Right. That is one of the pluses of a right tilt saw??

Comment

• dkhoward
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • bt3000

I use the rip scale on the saw to do rough set up and then use which ever measuring tool I am going to use on the whole project to do the final set. I have, on occasion gotten into a little trouble switching measuring instruments in the middle of a project. Seems that some companies use a different inch than others.
                  Dennis K Howard
                  www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                  "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I use mine a lot of the time. I reset it after moving the rails,using a Starret rule, and it is good to go unless I change the blade or move the rails again.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

Not once.

I usually scribe a line on the stock I am going to rip. I line it up by eye with the right edge of a right set tooth. No problems so far.

Steve
                      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have a question re waynes point of thin-kerf vs regular kerf blades and measurement. if the spacers on the arbour stay the same, why would the rip scale measurement change? wouldn't the distance from the right edge of the blade, thin or regular, be exactly the same? i only use reg kerf anyway, but i don't see how it should make any difference.
                        I think changing any blade may make a difference.
                        There are several thicknesses involved.
                        One is the actual kerf, the thickness of the carbide tips, usually 3/32 or 1/8" (thin or regular kerf) but also there is the body thickness which is the thickness of the plae that the blade is fashioned from. It may not even be uniform thickness all the way to the tips (I think most actually have some taper) but the important measure is the thickness of the body at the arbor (where it meets the arbor spacers). If this varies from blade to blade and I'm sure it must, then there will be an additional offset, half of the Kerf minus body thickness, for each saw blade.
                        Resetting the zero is easy for me, I would set it after a blade or rail change.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-09-2006, 10:50 AM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Liberty, SC, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS3650

When I had the BT I never moved the rails. I had the tape set precisely and trusted it. I did check it with a machinist scale periodically.
                          Now with the Ridgid, it's the same. It's dead on accurate. As with the BT, I verify it a couple of times a week.
                          k

Comment

• WayneJ
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

i've always used the 'rail scale' as it has been dead-on accurate ever since i set it up. occasionally, i'll do a double-check, but so far i've never had to adjust.

Rick,
                            I never gave it a thought but my saw is not a BT3. The difference is the way the blades are mounted.. On the BT the blade nut is on the left side of the blade, mine is on the right. My saw is a craftsman, the one they discontinued when they came out with the hibred (zip code ) saws.With a thin blade it moves away from the fence, it wouldnt matter on the BT.
                            Wayne
                            Wayne J

Comment

• Raymonator
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Near Ottawa Ontario
                              • Ryobi BT3100

What is a Starret rule ?
                              Measure twice....cut once.
                              Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

Working...