• Show
Clear All
  • should_have
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Baltimore, MD
    • BT3100

Quick Stop Functional or NOT?

Folks having problem with Quick Stop eccentric screw/lock nut. (Saw is brand new, screw, cam, washer and nut – NO missing Parts) If, I leave the lock nut loose enough to toggle/flip Quick Stop up and down, the eccentric screw rotates (hence loose ZERO adjustment). Tighten screw unable to use quick stop. Also Quick Stop can rotate past SMT Notch when loose for adjustment, is this a problem or normal. Do folks really use Quick Stop or is this just a gimmick?

Lastly similar subject, SMT eccentric screws came loose after adjustment. There seem to be only a less than an 1/8 of a turn before locking and sliding table. Our these eccentric screws going to keep coming loose?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by should_have
    Folks having problem with Quick Stop eccentric screw/lock nut. (Saw is brand new, screw, cam, washer and nut – NO missing Parts) If, I leave the lock nut loose enough to toggle/flip Quick Stop up and down, the eccentric screw rotates (hence loose ZERO adjustment). Tighten screw unable to use quick stop. Also Quick Stop can rotate past SMT Notch when loose for adjustment, is this a problem or normal. Do folks really use Quick Stop or is this just a gimmick?

Lastly similar subject, SMT eccentric screws came loose after adjustment. There seem to be only a less than an 1/8 of a turn before locking and sliding table. Our these eccentric screws going to keep coming loose?
    Did you tighten the nut on the back side of the eccentric screw? If you just loosen the eccentric from the screw slot side, then it'll be loose and keep moving. You must tighten the nut in the back and hold the position of the slotted head once you've made the appropriate rotational setting of the eccentric.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gjat
      • Nov 2005
      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
      • BT3100

Personally, I will not use ANY 'Quick-Stop' devices. What's the point? It may save you a few seconds, but the seconds you save would be the few seconds you would be using a square or angle to check the alignment. Why don't you want to check the alignment? I keep a small square with my bandsaw and my table saw and if it isn't a 'critical' cut, only check it quickly, not align it to a gnat's wisker.

In fact. I plan on taking my 'quick-stop' off the smt so that I can make sleds and jigs that use the outside of the smt as guides and not mess with installing miter slots.

Comment

• should_have
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Baltimore, MD
        • BT3100

LCHIEN, yes I tighten the nut on the back. Unfortunately if I tighten it to much, I can’t rotate the STOP. Back off the nut and just a few flips and the screw looses alignment.

gjat, thanks for the response. I am trying to find out if the quick stop is defective and also a poll. Do people actually use the quick stop. I would hope the Quick Stop is as functional as the SMT eccentric screw adjustments, hence it would be easy to set @ ZERO for a 90 degree cross cut, instead of fidgeting with the RED indicator.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I use the quick stop ALL the time. I see no point in using a square if the Quick Stop is dead on.

Example of the accuracy on my two BTs: A friend wanted me to rip a couple of boards. I put the fence up and started to cut. Being from the old mentality that nothing is accurate without a square, He asked me to square it up. I backed up, put a square between the fence and blade. Dead on Square. He shook his head in disbelief.

SAME thing for the Quick stop. Everytime I put a square to the QS. It is dead on - on the BT3000 and BT3100. I do check it when I haven't used on in a while, or if I bump the fence a little hard.

But does it work accurately? Mine do. And yes I have registration and machinest squares to check it by. When I first bought the BT3000, I could not believe that it could be that accurate. I used a Woodhaven Miter Guage for the first 6 months because I believed like GJAT said. Then I began to see what most of these guys were talking about.

You can take the best and finest square you can find, put it on my saws every time you use it but you would just be wasting time. Before long, you would be realizing that you could judge a square by how it aligned with my Quick Stop, fence and blade.

I don't care for bragging, I want something that works and works right. Mine do and the Quick Stop on both work like that. Yours might be defective.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm with Hank.

My quick stop works exactly as it was intended, too.
            Always registers square, I check it once in a while but not every time.
            Eccentric screw locked in place, flip stop flips easily.
            I don't bang the fence into the stop, I always move it gently into place. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The little orange miter angle thingy always hits square in the center of the zero angle mark, too.

It's one of those things, you checked every time at the beginning, then checked less and less often as you got confidence it worked every time.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2006, 10:58 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• rickd
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I'm with Hank.

My quick stop works exactly as it was intended, too.
              Always registers square, I check it once in a while but not every time.
              me too! once i figured out how to adjust it(like loring said) i just check it once in a while, treat it gently and it works great. it sure is a great time saver as well as producing dead on accurate cuts.
              rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• scorrpio
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Wayne, NJ, USA.

From your description, it is almost as if your stop is mounted backwards - so that the small tab on its end is either jamming against the SMT when you tighten the screw - or pushing it away from SMT when the screw is loose, causing it to rotate past the notch - which is exactly what you have happening.

If the stop is mounted right (tab pointing away from SMT), there might be something interfering between SMT and the stop - maybe a burr or something stuck there. The eccentric portion of the screw is just a hair thicker than stop thickness so stop rotates, but has no slop.

I personally use my quick stop all the time - as long as I am careful that my fence does not rotate from the stop, the cut is dead square.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by should_have
                  LCHIEN, yes I tighten the nut on the back. Unfortunately if I tighten it to much, I can’t rotate the STOP. Back off the nut and just a few flips and the screw looses alignment.

gjat, thanks for the response. I am trying to find out if the quick stop is defective and also a poll. Do people actually use the quick stop. I would hope the Quick Stop is as functional as the SMT eccentric screw adjustments, hence it would be easy to set @ ZERO for a 90 degree cross cut, instead of fidgeting with the RED indicator.

Scorrpio has good points.
                  The eccentric part of the screw is a shoulder. The quick stop should be a bit thinner than the height of the shoulder so it rotates freely as it rides on the eccentric shoulder. If there's a burr or something that could cause your problem, or as Scorrpio just suggested, that maybe your quick stop tab is backwards as I believe it has a little lip on what is supposed to be the outside? If its a burr, some simple sanding could help.

As you can see, it works for many of us.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2006, 03:58 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• should_have
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Baltimore, MD
                    • BT3100

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	779177

Name:	Crop_3.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	779178

Name:	Crop_4_2_10_1.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	779179

Name:	Crop_5_3_10_1.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	779180

Name:	Crop_1_1_14_1.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	779181

Folks, thank for all your replies. I went to HomeDepot twice today, once to look at the Quick-Stop on the BT3100. The second time, with tools and SMT in hand.

I believe the casting for the SMT was not finished correctly in addition to the hole for the Quick-Stop being slightly off . The SMT at the Homedepot look as it was slightly milled/filed near/at the Zero-Stop hole, mine has none. Also the eccentric screw worked fine on their table but not on mine. (Roybi Customer service is sending me a new eccentric Screw and tab for the Quick-Stop before I went to HomeDepot)

Can’t deicide if I will exchange for a new BT3100 at HomeDepot or have customer service send me a new SMT table? Don’t look forward to aligning SMT for PARALLELISM.

Exchanging at HomeDepot, hate to have to realign and lubricate, serious I think they forgot to lubricate everything except the Spring Shims. And the worse case scenario, the Saw having the same problem if I exchange.

Thanks

Comment

• wreckwriter
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • South Florida
                      • BT3100-1

I guess I don't understand what this is for. Can someone reference a page in the manual or explain it please?
                      http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• jdschulteis
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by wreckwriter
                        I guess I don't understand what this is for. Can someone reference a page in the manual or explain it please?
                        It makes for quick-and-easy set up for 90 degree cross cuts.

Mount the miter fence to the SMT with the black plastic pin in the right-hand hole.
                        Flip up the stop on the left-hand side of the SMTand adjust the miter fence until the back of it contacts the stop. If the stop is adjusted properly, the miter fence will be perpendicular to the blade.

Flip the stop down, and you can adjust the miter fence to make crosscuts at other angles.
                        Jerry

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Your SMT notch looks damaged. The stop should not rotate past upright as it is shown on 2nd photo.

I suspect you might have gotten a unit somebody used and returned. My saw came out of the box properly lubricated and almost dead-on aligned (only rip fence needed a minor adjustment.)

Comment

• wreckwriter
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • South Florida
                            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jdschulteis
                            It makes for quick-and-easy set up for 90 degree cross cuts.
                            Excellent! Thanks much!
                            http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Mine does that, too.

I'm nowhere near my saw, but I'm 99.44% certain my quick-stop will rotate that far backwards, too. I've never had it apart but I think the stop is part of the eccentric screw, not that little tit cast into the tabletop; that's there for the QS to fold down against when it's not in use.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...