Clear All
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

FYI - lubricant

Hi all,
    Trying to follow the wise advice if the experienced members of this forum, I bought a PTFE lube to put on my saw. I bought 'Super Lube Dry Film Lubricant with PTFE'. I cleaned and lubed the machine on Wednesday evening and it really helped but by today, I could hardly raise the saw and it didn't want to go down much better.
    Evidentally, I didn't interpret what I read correctly! Right now, it is moving well again after using contact cleaner to wash out the Super Lube and applying WD-40(which I know will attract dust, but I didn't want to have nothing on it; I have more contact cleaner when I get the proper lube.)
    Can someone please 'splain to this ol' dummy one more time what the correct lube is, by brand name if that is not forbidden on here.
    Thanks for the help,
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have used PTFE also and it seemed to help mine. I do not remember the brand but it was purchased here in Japan. I have used graphite and even spray oil base, without silicone. Silicone lube will not hurt the saw, but it does spread easily to the wood and creates problems with the finish, therefore it it not recommended unless the saw is being used for framing purposes only where the wood will be covered/hidden.

Some people use bees wax, candle was„x or other soft wax as a lube on threads and sliding parts with great results.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Be Aware: WD-40 is NOT a REAL lubricant (drives out moisture).

I use this (magic!) stuff all over the BT3 - but I don't think it's available outside Oz. Non-sticky, stays on "forever"

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Crockett
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Buffalo, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

As Hank mentioned candle wax works wonders on the raising/lowering mechanism! After rubbing it on the threads it glides up and down.

Al
        Al

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Jerry,

You're not alone with the problem you had. It happened to me, too, and it felt like I put Loctite on the threads.

After that, I first switched to using candle wax, which works very well. Lately I have been using powedered graphite that I bought at a local hardware store. I "shoot" a couple of puffs into the threads of the lug that the threaded rod of the raising mechanism whenever I "feel" like the raise/lower is getting stiff.

After using both methods (candle wax and powdered graphite), I like the graphite better. I may have been putting too much wax on the threads.

I also puffed a few shots into the blade tilt mechanism and spring. Now I don't hear that clicking sound when I raise and lower the blade.
          Brian

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Hrmm i have a ton of old graphite here, was from a machine shop when it closed. Guess i know where i can use some of it up. If i put all the containers together, it would be about 1gal of it.

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

Sounds like a gallon of it would be a lifetime supply for several BT users. A little bit of graphite goes a long way.
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • SoCal, USA
                • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I have used that product for years on my BT and other areas and never a problem. The first step is to allow the product to clean the surface and then let it dry to a white film. If you do not allow the film to dry then the lube will not be on the surface. I also bought the new DuPont Dry Lube(blue can) at Lowes and it appears to be better but costs more. The DuPont is also available in a non spray bottle.
                Andrew

Comment

• MBG
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Chicago, Illinois.
                  • Craftsman 21829

I have had good luck with TriFlo which has teflon in it.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I have used white lithium with good success on the raising and lowering mechanism, it sprays on thin and thickens nicely

Dan in Charlotte, NC
                    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• softop41
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Dan in Charlotte,
                      I like the idea of lithium grease but doesn't it collect dust and make cleanup horrible at the next maintainence?
                      Thanks,
                      Jerry
                      Jerry
                      Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• pierhogunn
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

don't know yet, haven't reached that point!

Dan in Charlotte
                        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Ken H
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Riverside, CA, USA.

Can someone explain the reason why WD-40 isn't a good choice? Is this from experience or from knowledge of the product? Here is why I ask...

Some time back, as most BT3'ers have experienced, my blade became difficult to raise and lower. I tried a lube with PTFE that I thought was recommended, much like Jerry did. It got worse.

So, I tore things down a bit and as a quick fix and cleaning agent, I shot some WD-40 on the raise/lower rails/shims, and the other mechanics. I've heard this will let sawdust stick and build up on the parts, this has not been the case. WD-40 was applied about 6 months ago and I'm just now starting to feel a slight drag. I use my saw almost daily.

I'm not knocking anyone on this site, as many have much more knowledge and experience than I do. Am I headed for trouble if I continue to use WD-40? I was getting ready to flip the saw over and reapply...
                          Ken in Cali...
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/kenincali

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Ken,
                            I would think the main complaint with WD-40 is that it is more solvent than lubricant, plus the gunk factor you mentioned.

JR
                            JR

Comment

• pilotlight
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2004
                              • IN, USA.

I am certainly not as knowledgable as most here but RodKirby is correct...WD40 is not really a "lubricant". It is simply a "water dispersant", hence the "WD". Being that my BT is still in the box, I have no idea how it will affect your saw.
                              Jamie

Comment

Working...