• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jes Pidlin
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Long Island, Virginia.

Lumber Liquidators woodworkers pack???

Anybody bought any of these? When I look up the info, the ad says "300 sqft per pack", "$49.99/[u]sqft</u>". Is this correct, or should the ad read $49.99/[u]pack</u>? What am I missing? Fifteen grand seems a little steep for a "value" pack.

Thanks, and...
    Y'all have a gooden...jes
  • Jarrod
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Nashville, TN, USA.

Yes, I bought one, and yes it was $50 for the whole pack.

The one I got is mostly wood from broken down pallets (from the far east?) with a lot of nail holes. I have a few oak boards and a lot of what looks to be some kind of mahogany or other dark-colored hardwood. There was a small (maybe 1-2BF) piece of purpleheart in mine, too. All in all it's not a bad deal but you aren't going to make any furniture with it

Comment

• hitekrednek
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Ft Worth, TX, USA.
      • BT3100

Several of us here got the packs from Lumber Liquidators. The quality and types of wood seem to vary greatly from bundle to bundle. Mine is mostly Jatoba with a pretty fair mix of other exotic hardwoods, but, as Jarrod mentioned, there is littel chance of making anything large out of the stuff. There are LOTS of nail holes and quite a few hidden nails as my planer can attest to. Still, it seems to be a pretty good deal for what it is
      I can only please one person a day ........

Hugh C.

Comment

• spf45
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2005

This sure seems like a great deal--if for nothing else than creating prototypes. One concern I had regarding this wood from overseas pallets is the possibility that the wood is treated with some chemical that I wouldn't know about and wouldn't want in my shop. Maybe this isn't a valid concern?

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

I have two packs I will be picking up in Indy the end of this week.
          John Hunter

Comment

• RagerXS
            • Feb 2003
            • Brookline, NH, USA.

In mine I had a 7' 4/4 board 6-7" wide of purpleheart. I figure that alone gets my money back. Then there is the 8 or so perfect 4/4 boards of what has to be domestic cherry -- each 6-7" wide and 7' long. The rest of it is easily over 100 board feet each of jatoba (brazilian cherry) and santos mahogany. I got one mahogany board that could become the top of an end table -- it's around 12" wide with beautiful ribbon grain. There was a fair amount of pallet skids of various materials and these could become legs. I also got enough maple to consider making a workbench top, though only about half of it would run the length of a normal workbench and I'm not sure if I should attempt that or not. Planning to use some of it for a face frame for my current project, which is a rolling storage cabinet out of Workbench magazine.

If I had room I'd get another.

~ Fred

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

I will be picking mine up this morning. We by LL Saturday to look at it
              Looks like there are at least a dozen 7ft. 1"x4" of a red color that
              looks real nice. Couldn't really tell what the rest was like. They were having a Parking lot sale and it was raining so did not stay around. I have to get a trailer as my tuck bed is way to short (Toyota Tacoma crew cab with a 5ft bed) Like I said in another post with my woodworking skills if I mess up a board I am not out alot of money like buy some expensive hardwood at BORG, Lowes, Woodcraft or some other hardwood retailer. My BIL lives close by and has a planner and jointer that I have free access to in fact I can bring them over here and use them in my garage to clean the wood up. Hopefully there is enough there to build an Aquarium stand and some other small projects.

Tom

Comment

• jAngiel
                • Oct 2003
                • Ryobi BT3100

I would suggest that if you borrow your BIL's planer and jointer that you take extra precaution in searching for hidden nails. You don't want to pi$$ off someone being so generous by trashing the blades.
                James

Comment

• don_hart
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I can't complian about my trip there. The guy not only gave me one bundle for $50 he had another bundle that one of the bands was broken on as well. That was definitely a full load on the truck. there was quite a bit of jatoba some purpleheart quite a bit of brazillian cherry just to name a few. here is a picture of the stack of lumber I ended up with after culling out the junk.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BrazosJake
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Benbrook, TX.
                    • Emerson-built Craftsman

I got the remains that HiteRedNeck left. Most of it is the pallet wood, Tauary, aka Brazilian Oak. I got several good boards, nail holes, yes. I will likeley use these for shop projects, including a bench top. The pieces of Jatoba are good for smaller shop projects, like tool handles and a marking gauge, it's good stable wood, but a bear to work. But it was all free.

I was assured by LL that none of the stuff had been treated. My bigger concern about tropicals would be respiratory reaction, I saw a picture on another forum of a guy who was rushed to the ER after turning some CocoBolo, his eyes were about swollen shut. A respirator is a good precaution, but I think only necessary for stuff in the rosewood family.

I've been getting a workout with my hand planes and sander, none of this is going through a jointer or planer till it's been cleaned up.

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Picked up mine this morning. Got it home and unloaded and sorted it. There were probably 10 pices that I cut in half and threw away. There are a few pices with no nail holes, but most have 1 one on each end and 1 in the middle. Most of the wood is 7' long. I did get some planks about 1 1/4" thick and 3'- 6' long. These had been wet and had mildew on them, put them out in driveway and washed them with deck cleaner and left on driveway in 75 deg. sun to dry. Have no Idea what type of wood I have most of it is some shade of red. Will have BIL over here to help ID the wood. Have checked most of it with a metal dector and have found very few nails so far. I will have to do some ripping to get usable lengths of wood. I did get a bunch of Pallet runners and the Pallet the wood came on. Will not be making some grand piece of funiture but can make an Aquarium cabinet and some face frames and picture frames and maybe a small table top or two. I am happy $50 barely paid for the shipping. There also will be some triming on the ends of most pices to get rid of spliting. Found very few pieces that were warped, twisted, most of it was straight. Still have more sorting to do, but loading and unloading it by myself wore me out. Will play more in the morning. The pallet runners would be good for turning and legs on a cabinet where you could hide the nail holes. Garage smells kind of musty so there is some damp wood in there some place.

Tom

Comment

• gchapman
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Rochester, MN, USA.

I have a pack reserved. I am new to pickups (Got one as a midlife thing last August), so I need to know how to load this wood. I have a Mazda with a 6ft bed (7ft with the gate down). The LL folks say the pallet is 4' x 7'. Should I even think about putting this in my bed with the gate down or should I rent a trailor? Or what about taking my saw along and cutting the 7 footers down to 6 feet? I won't need the seven feet for the small boxes and such that I plan with this wood. Any suggestions would be a help.

Glenn
                        \"I see,\" said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.

Comment

• John Hunter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                          • BT3000 & BT3100

gchapman,

It is my understanding that a pack weighs about 1,000 pounds so that would be the real factor. What is the carrying capacity of your truck? My wife is picking up 2 packs for me while she is in Indy on friday but I have a Chevy 1 ton dulley so it will handle the load.
                          John Hunter

Comment

• Rounder
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Sanford, FL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I have a Dodge 2500 4 x 4 and the pallet firs between the wheel wells and is every bit of 7 foot long. It made a difference in how the truck felt.

I wouldn't cut it there. It is banded together in a bundle. You would have to unbanded it, unstack it, cut it, then load it in your truck.
                            George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by Rounder

I have a Dodge 2500 4 x 4 and the pallet firs between the wheel wells and is every bit of 7 foot long. It made a difference in how the truck felt.

I wouldn't cut it there. It is banded together in a bundle. You would have to unbanded it, unstack it, cut it, then load it in your truck.
                              Its about 1000#, whether you move one board at a time or not. Try not to move it too many times.

(~ 6' x 3' x 2' high = 36 cu ft. x 30#/cu ft typical hardwood density = 1080#)

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...