• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

The Rockwell one is considerably better made. The HF one worked really well too though. The one thinkg I like about Rockwell, is mine came with an adapter nut, so I've been able to use HF, Dremel, Bosch, PC, Tool Shop, and Performax blades in my tool.

As far as cheap blades go, Menards has accessory sets that regularly go on sale for $20-$20 (after rebate) with a bunch of blades, including carbide and diamond.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Is the Rockwell any quieter then the HF ones?

Even with hearing protection on my HF tool is really loud.
      Erik

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I use HF single speed tool with HF, Bosch, Dremel and Crfatsman blades. Craftsman blades seems cheaper than even HF. Many blades Craftsman sells as a pair of 2, while HF sells a single blade.
        I bought the tool for a specific job thinking for $20 it would pay for itself in one project. The tool had since seen a lot of use, a lot more than I originally expected.
        Alex V

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by pelligrini
          Is the Rockwell any quieter then the HF ones?

Even with hearing protection on my HF tool is really loud.
          Yes. It's not whisper quiet, but I found the difference considerable.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I concur.
            It does seem a bit quieter. It doesn't get as warm either.
            Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW Lowes has sales labels on the shelves for the single speed RK5100K with 21 accessory pieces for $99. But they only had the RK5112K (VS version of RK5100) on the shelf but it scanned at $99, too.

But a quick look on the net found the RK5112K MF tool with 21 accessory pieces at the
              Rockwell store on eBay which are factory recons but are selling for $57.99 with free shipping (and probably) no tax.

Assuming a recon Rockwell with VS for $58 is much better than the single speed HF for $17 then there's a reasonable alternative. I guess it depends on your prefereces.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-24-2012, 12:06 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

Hf multi tool

I have one these tools that I have used several times (mostly sanding and light duty cutting jobs) for over a year. One day, all of a sudden it stops running in the middle of the job, I bumped it against the workbench and it came back on and started running again. I had problems with it doing the same thing on a regular use basis after that, run and quit, run and quit.I thought it must be a loose electrical connection on the inside either a switch or motor brush problem.

I was in one of our local thrift stores a few months later and found another one just like this for $10.00 and it ran perfectly, so I bought it as a replacement for the first that died on me during a major wall repair due to water leakage. I took the dead one to HF told them of the problem they asked " do you have the sales receipt? ....answer, NO! after a couple of years what is the use, they asked "did you buy extended warranty" my answer, I don't think that I did for a $29.00 tool...come on here! They said they could not help me....to them I said fine, I left their other junky items on the counter and walked out! I took the old dead tool apart and found it had broken wire connections where they connect to the motor, repaired them and now it is running again! Moral to story...crappy Chinese workers can't make quality products when only paid $.015 per day for labor.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by eezlock
                  I took the dead one to HF told them of the problem they asked " do you have the sales receipt? ....answer, NO! after a couple of years what is the use, they asked "did you buy extended warranty" my answer, I don't think that I did for a $29.00 tool...come on here! They said they could not help me....
                  Maybe its just my local store, but I've brought back a few items and got an exchange without a receipt.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN

I forgot to look to see when the sale ended, but Menards has a sale on the Performax or whatever cutting blade set. It has 3 japanese/ aggressive wood blades, and at least 2 of the std blades, as well as 2 each of several other width cutting blades, including the half circle. Over all, a good deal for only $20 (normally $40) Without a rebate.

Comment

Working...