• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

PC Biscuit Joiner @ Rockler

I'm not quite convinced I need it --- but if you purchase the PC Biscuit joiner from Rockler today, you'll get quite a deal --- plus a mail-in rebate.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't use mine. IMO a waste of money. If I can find it I'll send it to you.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I like my Ryobi, when I use it, which isn't at all often... Probably 3 projects in 4 years... It does do what it does well, but what it does has some questonable usefulness...

I have gotten to be much more of a fan of M&T joinery. But biscuits make throwing a project together very fast and easy... For example one project on the long range outlook for me, building new cabinets for the house, kitchen and both bathrooms. Building all those face frames using M&T would be a LOT more work than I might want to do. But biscuits would get them thrown together nice and quick.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

since i don't see them for much less than ~$125 to $150 on WW forums sale sights, or CL, $160 net for new is a good deal. i won't give up my dewalt joiner, even though i don't use it that often. when you need "that tool" to make the project go easier and better, it's good to have it. just my $.02.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by durango dude
          I'm not quite convinced I need it --- but if you purchase the PC Biscuit joiner from Rockler today, you'll get quite a deal --- plus a mail-in rebate.
          Without details or at the least a link this so called bargain alert is worthless.

Comment

• Eagan
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • bloomington, IN
            • rigid r4512

Here's the link and a question

Originally posted by sweensdv
            Without details or at the least a link this so called bargain alert is worthless.
            http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER

I had to go to the Rockler web page and look up the closeouts. Not a worthless alert at all; just requires 30 seconds of research.

Is there any reason to have one of these AND a pocket joint jig? I suppose that if you can't hide the pocket hole this would be nice, but still seems as if it does the same thing.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I have a PC about 15 years old, and I guess I have used it about 10 different times. But for what it did it was and is great. Not an often used tool but when I need it, it surpasses dowels for me, and pocket joinery in some cases. I "could" do without it, but it sure helps with alignment and locks joints very well when glued and clamped.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a Dewalt plate joiner and like Hank Lee, I find it quite nice and easy to use for certain things where you need alignment and it not to show and be less critical than dowels. I have one in my arsenal and won't give it up but its not a required basic tool.

its somewhat redundant of pocket screws... pocket screws show on one side. OTOH, pocket screws can work in a narrower (not thinner) piece than biscuits, but not by a whole lot.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-20-2012, 07:32 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I use mine mostly when doing a large glueup. For face frames I use pocket screws or mortise and tenon. But if I am putting together the top of a large cabinet or a table top, keeping the surfaces of the boards aligned while getting them in clamps is a pain. Biscuits won't give you perfect alignment but they will avoid bad misalignment. I've built a table and chairs with biscuits and I still use them but I wouldn't go this way again. The joints on the table in particular (leg to apron) have started to open up. My rule of thumb is pocket screws if the back side will not be visible or I don't care much what it looks like (shop project for instance) and mortise and tenon if appearance of both sides is important. Biscuits for panels.

Before I got my pocket screw jig and dedicated mortiser I used biscuits more.

Jim

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by JimD
                    I use mine mostly when doing a large glueup. For face frames I use pocket screws or mortise and tenon. But if I am putting together the top of a large cabinet or a table top, keeping the surfaces of the boards aligned while getting them in clamps is a pain. Biscuits won't give you perfect alignment but they will avoid bad misalignment. I've built a table and chairs with biscuits and I still use them but I wouldn't go this way again. The joints on the table in particular (leg to apron) have started to open up. My rule of thumb is pocket screws if the back side will not be visible or I don't care much what it looks like (shop project for instance) and mortise and tenon if appearance of both sides is important. Biscuits for panels.

+1. Exactly my thinking.
                    JR

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Well, I only started using biscuit joinery a couple of years ago and personally, I like it. Yeah, I know there's lots of argument about it's lack of strength and so on, but I found it works very well for joining corner and face trim and especially for table and bench tops like for the library window seats.

For good sturdy assembly and legs I have always used M & T, cutting the mortices by hand. Time consuming, but fun. For leg to skirt assembly I much prefer dowels, but I don't have a jig and just sit up my drill press or drill guide as required. I really don't like to use screws or any other metal-hardware to fasten my "wood" projects, except in areas like retaining bench and table tops to allow for expansion and contraction.

When looking at "biscuit joining", I took close notice of the controversy and decided to keep whatever investment in such a tool to a minimum (like with my wallet, that's always a must). I really did like the Ryobi and ergonomically it seemed better designed, at least for me. I do like the tool for the previous-stated applications. It makes (the tool and "biscuit joining" in general) certain kinds of joinery very efficient.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jseklund
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006

I got the PC Biscuit Joiner right before I got too busy to continue woodworking as a hobby. I was moving into a new house and renovating it, and ...well, life just took over.

I will say, the 3-4 times I've used it, it worked great. Saved time and probably helped make the end product better.

For instance, I had to throw together some shelves for some closets. I didn't want to spend a fortune, so I just got a bunch of 1-inch pine board and cut it up. I then put biscuits in it all, glued, clamped and did a quick sand. The shelves have held up for 5 years, and look fine today with no signs of failure.

Since I was in a rush, if I didn't have the joiner, I would have just made butt-joints, glued and clamped. The boards would have invariable not been flat, which would have meant more time sanding and maybe even putting them through the planer. It would have taken 2X as long easily, made more mess, and probably wouldn't have been as nice a finished product. And while other joints may be stronger than biscuits - I still believe the biscuits are way better than butt joints.
                        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

Working...