X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Great deal on retractable light

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...00100312&aff=Y , decent price and has another outlet in handle + retractable cord 1/2 price, good to have hangin around in the shop. Price drops to $12.50 when added to cart

"It is the lesser man that refuse's to listen to the voice of experience"
    Last edited by tommyt654; 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM.
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

I have a similar reel. I had the breaker for my garage door opener switched to a GFI and mounted the reel to the ceiling, plugged into the GDO outlet. This is one of my favorite shop tricks, now I have power everywhere (even outside) without having to roll out an extension cord.

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Good price for what it is, but it's only an 18-3 cord so keep an eye on what you plug in. Mine is about 20 years old, great to have around for light. Been keeping an eye out for a 12-3 retractable reel (no light, just a cord) but not at $60-$70.

Earl

Comment

• mclear6
        Established Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Northern NJ

looks like deal is over.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by greenacres2
          Good price for what it is, but it's only an 18-3 cord so keep an eye on what you plug in. Mine is about 20 years old, great to have around for light. Been keeping an eye out for a 12-3 retractable reel (no light, just a cord) but not at $60-$70.

Earl
          Another thing to remember when using retractable cords, if you are loading the cord to even a fraction of the maximum amp rating, you need to have the cord fully extended. THe reason is that the heat will build up in a coiled cord and exceed the safe temperature rating. Wire gauge ampacity is determined by the amount of copper (leading to heating from resistance) and also from heat buildup (wire must be laid out straight so that heat can escape/ If the wire is tightly coiled it will heat up faster for the same resistance and reduce the allowable AMP rating of the wire. If using anything more than a light load you need to extend the wire all the way out.

A 12/3 retractable cord of any useful length will be quite large, they have to make the spool diameter larger because the wire is so much larger and stiffer. I've never seen one, I think in part because of the self-heating concern and partly because of the size.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It was a fair deal for what it was. I prefer just the cord lights, especially if there is a lot of floor space. The incandescent bulbs get hot, unlike the fluorescent type.

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Another thing to remember when using retractable cords, if you are loading the cord to even a fraction of the maximum amp rating, you need to have the cord fully extended. THe reason is that the heat will build up in a coiled cord and exceed the safe temperature rating. Wire gauge ampacity is determined by the amount of copper (leading to heating from resistance) and also from heat buildup (wire must be laid out straight so that heat can escape/ If the wire is tightly coiled it will heat up faster for the same resistance and reduce the allowable AMP rating of the wire. If using anything more than a light load you need to extend the wire all the way out.

A 12/3 retractable cord of any useful length will be quite large, they have to make the spool diameter larger because the wire is so much larger and stiffer. I've never seen one, I think in part because of the self-heating concern and partly because of the size.
              Good point on the heat Loring. Here you go...
              http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V2114

It's a 30' cord, 12/3. Looking at the picture mounted to a 2 x 4, I'd have to guess the reel is 15" or so in diameter.
              earl

Comment

Working...