X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

For some odd reason the thought of a million chinese guys running around with these in there hands just popped into my head

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, its probably the yellow and red insert rings.. HAPPY NEW YEAR
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbaudo1
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2011
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Ryobi BT3000

I'm in the market for a router plate and ran across this thread. Is this router plate comparable to the $50-$70 alternatives out there? Do you guys see any issues with flexing? I know its an old thread but was hoping someone has feedback because $13 is a great deal!

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I'd be surprised if that pricing has remained since this thread was started.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

Was still $13 a few weeks ago. (Edit...just looked, $13.00 tonight)
            Earl
            Last edited by greenacres2; 10-25-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Router plate sizes

Keep in mind, not all router plates are the same size.
              Not only that, the corner radii may not be the same, it appears they are the same but no one specs it. Corner radius = 3/4"?
              Thickness seems to be std at 3/8"

The Grizzly appears to be 9"x12" - that's what their table takes.
              Hartville, Rousseau, Peachtree, Freud, Bosch, MLCS, Yonico, Grizzly - 9"x12"
              Jessem, Kreg, Incra and Woodpecker takes 9.25 x 11.75"
              Bench Dog and Rockler tables take 8.25 x 11.75
              Rockler used to have a bigger router 9x13 plate

Why are they close yet different? My guesses:
              1. Manufacturers' misguided attempts to lock you into their table or plate if you have one or the other.
              2. Some routers are bigger than others esp. the handle spread but also the router baseplate footprint for the 3+ hp routers so they have crept the sizes up as larger routers were made.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-27-2013, 01:30 AM. Reason: added Waddles' info
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

That's a handy reference sheet Loring!! Both my tops are 8.25 x11.75, but I've considered buying a few of the Grizzly plates and using one of my current plates as a template to adjust the Grizzly to the size of my opening. I've got a few projects coming up that would be easier to accomplish by setting up two routers and just popping the plates in and out of the table.

Also, at $13 each, those plates are a good start to making square or rectangular sub bases to use with various jigs.

earl

Comment

• Waddles
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Keep in mind, not all router plates are the same size.
                  Not only that, the corner radii may not be the same, it appears they are the same but no one specs it. Corner radius = 3/4"?
                  Thickness seems to be std at 3/8"

The Grizzly appears to be 9"x12" - that's what their table takes.
                  Hartville, Rousseau, Peachtree (same as Grizzly) - 9"x12"
                  Jessem, Kreg, Incra and Woodpecker takes 9.25 x 11.75"
                  Bench Dog and Rockler tables take 8.25 x 11.75
                  Rockler used to have a bigger router 9x13 plate
                  Bosch not specified

Why are they close yet different? My guesses:
                  1. Manufacturers' misguided attempts to lock you into their table or plate if you have one or the other.
                  2. Some routers are bigger than others esp. the handle spread but also the router baseplate footprint for the 3+ hp routers so they have crept the sizes up as larger routers were made.
                  Freud is also 9" X 12" as is the Bosch RA1200 Table (made by Rousseau for Bosch). I think MLCS and Yonico are 9" X 12" also....

Comment

• dbaudo1
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Ryobi BT3000

That really is a great reference sheet Loren! I will definatelybe sure to save that in my reference materials.

But to my original question, are they decent plates? I mean saving a buck is great but if installing this one is a waste of time then I'll look to go with the kreg phenolic plate. 13 bucks is cheap and based on Loren's info I could easily switch it out provided the radii match, but I like to do work once as much as possible and spend the saved money from not redoing it at HF. .

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

dbaudo1, this is a sort of religious discussion (I doubt it will get banned, though!). Passions run high on the topic of router inserts, and you're unlikely to come away from the discussion having sensed any sort of consensus.

Here are a couple of illuminating threads. I'm sure there are more, if want to do a search.
                      This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

Black wallnut's sag test, shown in the first thread, is a thing of beauty. FWIW, I'll also note that I don't recall him calling out another member so forcefully before or since.
                      JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

40-50 pounds on a router table to cause .005" sag is pretty much an extreme condition. Unless of course you are using a 20-HP router perhaps...

A Bosch 1617evs plus fixed base weighs 7.7 lbs I just read. Call it less than 8 lbs with the biggest baddest bit you can fit to it. That's 1/5th of 40 lbs, the corresponding sag would be .001"

I have a woodpecker phenolic plate under my 1617evs. I level the insert plate as well as the router plate. I don't think I'd notice 1 mil of sag.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I read the entire linked thread. I still do not understand what all the hubbub is about. If the sag or crown is consistent and stays consistent, then who cares? It will be and produce a uniform product. I doubt most woodworkers would exert 50lbs of downward pressure while running stock through their router table anyways.

Now, if the plate flexes with just a little bit of force, then yes, the profile will alter, but that is not case with the rousseau which as was mentioned maintained its crown all the way up to 50lbs? or the 1/4" aluminum plate models.

I have not used my Grizzly plate yet, but it seems to be stiff enough to hold my hitachi beast. Time will tell...
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...