• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
    Now I have to decide between the Ridgid corded Jobmax (with the right angle drill head), and the HF one (I could use a right angle drill).
    Not sure what the Ridgid jobmax does, but I would prefer it over any other brand. Especially with the right angle head for tight places.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
      so the diamond blade will cut through the tiles? since the tiles on the floor are hexagonal, there aren't any grout lines that exactly correspond with the cut lines for the 16" section that needs to be removed. so just removing the grout will result in jagged lines along the 16" sides of the outcut. or am i missing something here?
      TG1000,

It will be very impractical to use the Multi-tool for those 1" hex tiles unless you were cutting a straight line. In the case of a straight line and for a single one 16" square cutout, the multi-tool would probably do the job but not the optimal choice if one has a grinder. I think it would be much quicker overall to use a 4" grinder and a ceramic cutting blade. This will of course cause more dust. If keeping dust down is a necessity as my mom used to say and my wife still says, I would attempt to take the long route and use a multi-tool.

For me, as versatile as the Fein MultiMaster is, I would still use the grinder for even one 16" cutout and try and suck up the dust with a fan and filter beside the work. For me, I would try to use the best tool for the individual job if possible.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Now I have to decide between the Ridgid corded Jobmax (with the right angle drill head), and the HF one (I could use a right angle drill).
        The JobMax and the HF equivalent are not drills, but rather "multitools". But they do look like the DeWalt and Milwaukee right angle drills and Hitachi Impact Driver.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

multifunction power tool

Yes, these are some very useful tools in my opinion. I have the single speed HF model that I bought for $29.00 a year or two ago and have used it on several
          different projects including a repair job to the outside shop wall. It has been used more as a detail sander in the last several months, but another good feature all the same.

Only (3) bad points to the HF model are these:

(1) gets hot in your hand very quickly
          (2) would like a better blade change system , like the new Porter Cable has
          something tool-less would be better/easier
          (3)would re-design the air discharge vents to blow the air in a direction
          angled away from the operator instead toward your face.

Other than those listed above...it is a decent machine for the money and would buy again if needed. A 3 1/2 stars out of 5 rating.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp
            The JobMax and the HF equivalent are not drills, but rather "multitools". But they do look like the DeWalt and Milwaukee right angle drills and Hitachi Impact Driver.
            Look again. You must not be signed up for emails from Home Depot! (I have a junk mail address for that stuff and other deals sites)
            They have both the cordless one your probably familiar with and replaceable heads. Now they have a corded one that comes with an extra head, for a limited time. (same price as just the corded one)
            The heads that change the tools function are a multitool head, right angle drill, right angle impact, jigsaw, and an auto hammer head.

Typically HD hasn't been good with links, but I will try:
            http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...atalogId=10053
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I see Menards have a Performax on sale for $30 http://menards.com/main/tools-hardwa...313-c-9082.htm
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Look again. You must not be signed up for emails from Home Depot! (I have a junk mail address for that stuff and other deals sites)
                They have both the cordless one your probably familiar with and replaceable heads. Now they have a corded one that comes with an extra head, for a limited time. (same price as just the corded one)
                The heads that change the tools function are a multitool head, right angle drill, right angle impact, jigsaw, and an auto hammer head.

Typically HD hasn't been good with links, but I will try:
                http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...atalogId=10053
                WOW. I stand corrected. Never heard of that. I would like to have a little "hands on" and see how well it works.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• Dal300
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011
                  • East Central Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

OK you guys.... you OWE ME!

We decided to go to town today and do some shopping. Or, the wife did that is.

She asked if I wanted to stop by HF to pick up anything and I thought about this multitool thingamjiggy. I used my laptop and printer to print out the coupons in the car and also printed out a couple of 20% off coupons.
                  (The 20% coupons don't work with any other discount, but no matter, as you'll see).
                  Got my choice between two different multitools. I chose the heavier one, based on the premise that heavy makes it better, right? Just like the cinder block they use to stick in the old Whirlpool washers.
                  I also picked up a set of try squares made of alunimunimumuminum, because they are adjustable for square and the large 14" one will be great for checking square on the table saw among other things.
                  Next was a 6" metal digital caliper by Pittsburgh Tool for $24.99 minus the 20% off coupon. It says it's accurate to .001 and after trying it with a few of my Starrett feller gauges and micrometer, I can't find a flaw... so far. It even comes with an extra battery.
                  Then there's the little stuff... rare earth magnets to use as latches on boxes for christmas gifts, Step drill bits, vice grip clamps like Kreg sells for their pocket hole kit, some extra multitool blades of different types. oh, and a tape measure and flashlight for one of my grand sons for Christmas.....
                  That is almost all of what we got. maybe one or two other little items.

Total bill after coupons...... $130. I know it has to be that tape measure and flashlight the wife bought for the grand son! Either that, or you guys suckered me in!

Good thing I bought a couple extra beers to help take away the pain.

Woe is ME, Oh, WOE is me.... the shame of being treated this way by firends I haven't met yet and my wife!

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

That multitool will pop open a beer in no time for ya.
                    Anytime I go to HF, I am after one thing and one thing only or I don't go. With that in mind, I cannot walk through there without spotting something I might need. It's rare that I only get what I went for, but it does happen. Maybe your next trip won't hurt so bad, but get beer anyway.
                    Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Dal300
                      Next was a 6" metal digital caliper by Pittsburgh Tool for $24.99 minus the 20% off coupon. It says it's accurate to .001 and after trying it with a few of my Starrett feller gauges and micrometer, I can't find a flaw... so far. It even comes with an extra battery.
                      If it is the same as mine (#47257) I picked one up with a coupon for $9.99.

Comment

• Dal300
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2011
                        • East Central Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

The one I got was #68304

I looked for the one you listed but they didn't have any more.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        If it is the same as mine (#47257) I picked one up with a coupon for $9.99.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

The one I got was #68304

I looked for the one you listed but they didn't have any more.
                          Is there much of a difference?

Comment

• Dal300
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2011
                            • East Central Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I think the one I bought does readings in fractions, decimals and metric, but the other one doesn't do fractions.
                            I don't know if that's a plus or not, it'll probably just make me lazier than I already am.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            Is there much of a difference?

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

I have the corded single speed HF unit. Until last night I couldn't see a need for any speed slower than fast and figured I had saved myself a few bucks with the single speed. Last night I used the scraper for the first time, It got hot and turned blue rather fast. I expect that on a slow speed it would work just as well and not heat up as fast.

I have the HF digital caliper that does fractions, 99639 only it's the plastic/composite one and you have to be careful out on the tip it flexes enough to be off by a 1/64 if you haven't got a gentle touch.

Bill
                              over here in the rain
                              Last edited by Mr__Bill; 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• BobSch
                                • Aug 2004
                                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                                • BT3100

Be sure to pull the battery when you're not using it. Even in the OFF position they drain pretty quickly.
                                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...