• cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Multifunction Power Tool

The HF Multifunction Tool #68303
    http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-68303.html
    Can be picked up for $19.99 with a coupon from magazine advertising. The ad appeared in three of my automotive magazines. It may be my area only, I don't know. Sale is good 'til 3/14/12.

If you can't find it in their store flier or magazine ads, I have three I can mail out.

• chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

There's also a 20% off coupon good until next wednesday in recent emails.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Are they any good? Are they durable? I'm tempted, even at the $29.99 price but the last HF electric tool I bought lasted about five minutes.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by jackellis
        Are they any good? Are they durable? I'm tempted, even at the $29.99 price but the last HF electric tool I bought lasted about five minutes.
        I bought one as a fluke just to try it out. It can do things no other tool can do as easily or cleanly. I had an installation where I had to take a section out of some base moulding. It was mounted on drywall. No way to cut it without making a mess. Can't hammer and chisel, and no saw would work. That little tool did the job quickly and cleanly.

Had another time when a microwave needed to be changed. There was mica on 3/4" plywood backsplash mounted on a block wall with stucco. The new microwave needed to sit 1/4" lower than the old one. The tool did the corner notch and cut the line 1/4" down.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks Mike. Sounds like it's well worth the price. I assume you have the fixed-speed version and the variable speed model is not necessarily worth the extra $$.

Comment

• mrhans
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2011
            • Chicago, Illinois 60640

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I bought one as a fluke just to try it out. It can do things no other tool can do as easily or cleanly. I had an installation where I had to take a section out of some base moulding. It was mounted on drywall. No way to cut it without making a mess. Can't hammer and chisel, and no saw would work. That little tool did the job quickly and cleanly.

Had another time when a microwave needed to be changed. There was mica on 3/4" plywood backsplash mounted on a block wall with stucco. The new microwave needed to sit 1/4" lower than the old one. The tool did the corner notch and cut the line 1/4" down.

I've used a client's Fein tool and I loved it. Was able to cut flooring out under the cabinet kick in a kitchen when I had to refloor the room but the customer didnt want to redo the cabinets. No other tool could've done that. Not sure if it worth ~twenty times the cost of the HF version though...Wish there was a HF showroom on the N side of Chicago. Might have to make an excuse to visit Lombard or Burbank.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by jackellis
              Thanks Mike. Sounds like it's well worth the price. I assume you have the fixed-speed version and the variable speed model is not necessarily worth the extra $$.
              Yes...mine is single speed. I guess it's like the tools I bought when I started. Drills and routers were single speed. Don't remember if there was variable speed available back then.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by chopnhack
                There's also a 20% off coupon good until next wednesday in recent emails.

Can you use a 20% coupon in addition to the coupon you are using to purchase the item at that price? I thought you couldn't use both.
                Joe

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

I'll give a big +1 to picking up one of these. I've found a number of uses, some would be much more difficult and time consuming to do with anything else. I've also given a handful as gifts to most male family members.
                  Bill

Comment

• jbrain
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007
                    • roseville california
                    • Bt3100

On black friday our HF is having the multi-tool for $17.99.

No coupons allowed. They also are having the 90 amp welder for $89.99.

Good reviews I will give it a try.

Love my multi-tool!

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

I have used my HF Multi-Tool several times. This isn't the typical HF electric tool. It has a nice heavy duty feel and plenty of power in use. It's a bargain at twice the price.
                      Lee

Comment

• Rand
                        Established Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I'm on my second one. The first one failed after about 20 minutes of use. I had actually owned it for about 4 months but I had not used it.

I used it to cut drywall when I remodeled our master bath. (It does an excellent job.) However it quit about halfway into the project. I managed to talk the manager into giving me a new one as long as I spent the extra 10 bucks on the extended warranty.

One trick I figured out when cutting drywall with the half circle blade: Don't try to cut all the way through in one pass. Make a shallow -1/8" or so - score along your pencil line first. Then go back and finish the cut. It makes a really clean cut and doesn't blow dust all over the place.
                        Rand
                        "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                          Established Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Conway, SC.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by mrhans
                          I've used a client's Fein tool and I loved it. Was able to cut flooring out under the cabinet kick in a kitchen when I had to refloor the room but the customer didnt want to redo the cabinets. No other tool could've done that. Not sure if it worth ~twenty times the cost of the HF version though...Wish there was a HF showroom on the N side of Chicago. Might have to make an excuse to visit Lombard or Burbank.
                          I owned the Fein tool for about 5 years and it did things no other tool could do. When HF came out with their tool I decided to try one. It wasn't long before I sold the Fein tool on Ebay. I have the variable speed but don't think it is necessary.
                          We are having granite countertops put in tomorrw. The installer told me I would need to remove a piece of trim and cut it about 1 inch shorter. I told him I could do it without removing the piece. Nothing beats a multipurpose tool in my opinion.
                          Buy it and you won't regret it. I am thinking of buying another at $20.00 . Great price for a great tool.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• pecker
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by jbrain
                            On black friday our HF is having the multi-tool for $17.99.

No coupons allowed.
                            Love my multi-tool!
                            Heh...it's worth the extra 2 bucks to me to not have to go out on Black Friday.

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I will add another endorsement. I've had mine around a year and have worn out a few blades and the sander attachment. It works well. I've cut wood and drywall with it. I used it to cut sections out of the bottom riser of my basement stairs out so I could put in a couple "wine drawers". I tried chisel and hammer for awhile but it was SO much easier just to use the HF multi tool. I usually cut drywall with a knife but it is SO much easier to use the multi-tool. Cutting openings in drywall is especially easier with the tool - straight cuts less so. I don't know if any of the blades are good enough to cut steel, haven't tried that yet (at least on purpose) and I have a grit blade for tile I also have not tried. But for cutting wood and drywall, this tool works well. I have a single speed model.

Jim

Comment

Working...