• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Has anyone used it to remove grout? I think I need to re-grout my shower soon.
    Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
      I owned the Fein tool for about 5 years and it did things no other tool could do. When HF came out with their tool I decided to try one. It wasn't long before I sold the Fein tool on Ebay. I have the variable speed but don't think it is necessary.
      We are having granite countertops put in tomorrw. The installer told me I would need to remove a piece of trim and cut it about 1 inch shorter. I told him I could do it without removing the piece. Nothing beats a multipurpose tool in my opinion.
      Buy it and you won't regret it. I am thinking of buying another at $20.00 . Great price for a great tool.

Conwaygolfer
      If you were using it on a constant basis, I don't think the HF would hold up. I do wonder about what one is the most cost effective copy though (durability verses use).
      Now, what uses have you even used the variable speed on? I think I am going to be replacing tile at work (supposably it has been taken care of so I don't have to ), and am thinking of getting one. I am trying to figure out which one (uses for the multispeed) and if the HF blades are decent.

Thanks
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

I have 2 of these units that I bought several yrs back, reasoning for 2 is I figured at that price I paid back then was about the same as this sale price if 1 broke I would have another as a spare. The 2nd one is still unopened in the box as the other has never failed to do what I have asked it to, including running for several hours at a time throughout the day. 1 thing is though they will heat up after extended use for say like an hour or so of rather heavy usage(think removing all the inside trim from a home). A HF gem by all means

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          Has anyone used it to remove grout? I think I need to re-grout my shower soon.
          I have a Fein that is 16 years old and back when I bought it, it was for this purpose. My mom, at that time said to keep the dust down as much as possible. So I bought the Fein. I tore out a shower and added a new one in, and in the process removed a lot of tile. It did great and very little dust flying around.

As mentioned above by LR, if using one constantly, it is possible for the Fein to pay for itself in lack of down time and traveling back and forth the HF for replacements. $180 is a huge difference, but in some situations, it will cost more than $180 to stop and wait for replacements.

Still, for around the house use and occasional use, the HF will do most of the time. And at the price that they are, two will make a great backup.

I have really enjoyed this tool for the full 16 years. I usually took it back and forth with me between the States and Japan.

One thing I am missing is that my Fein is so old that it does not have the dimple type seating and some of the blades occasional slide or turn.
          Last edited by leehljp; 11-17-2011, 07:46 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I have a Craftsman variable speed corded version. I love how it's constructed, but I've yet to find any real uses for it yet. I'd like to say it even got best value by one of the mags last year.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
              I have a Craftsman variable speed corded version. I love how it's constructed, but I've yet to find any real uses for it yet. I'd like to say it even got best value by one of the mags last year.
              Here is how I have used it:

1. Cutting molding while the molding is in place.
              2. Making precise holes in sheet rock and cutting odd shapes with precision and without dust.
              3. Cutting holes in paneling and making the square (or rather perfect rectangles.)
              4. All kinds of trimming in awkward situations that would be impossible for any other tool.
              5. I have a door jamb about 3 inches from a wall. This thing fits well within the space and sands great in tight spaces.
              6. Cutting a cast off of my arm (in Japan, and without damage to my a arm) 8 weeks after breaking my arm in the States! :roll eyes:
              7. Recently while re-painting the kitchen (new sheet rock), and adding new moldings top and bottom, I was able to cut miters outside, but where they butted up to door jamb or to a cabinet, I cut the final length inside without any sawdust going anywhere.

Most all of this may not be a big plus for some of you, but for LOML and my mom before her passing, allergies from dust is/was a problem. These tools keep dust from flying all over the place. Any time I do anything in the house in which a saw is involved, IF I can do it with the MultiMaster, I will - simply because of the precision and lack of dust.

HOW do others use this tool?
              Hank Lee

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Well, the tool itself was a bargain, but while I was there I picked up a heat gun to replace an old blow dryer I was using for that purpose, an infrared thermometer, a replacement regulator and gauge for my compressor, and some blades, scrapers and a sanding pad. I'd better find something to do with that tool!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by leehljp
                  ...I have a Fein that is 16 years old and back when I bought it, it was for this purpose. My mom, at that time said to keep the dust down as much as possible. So I bought the Fein. I tore out a shower and added a new one in, and in the process removed a lot of tile. It did great and very little dust flying around....
                  so did the fein multi tool actually cut through tile, and not just the grout joints? if yes, what blade did you use?
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jgantz
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2010

Rockwell $99 72-Piece 2.3-Amp Variable Speed Oscillating Tool Kit

This will be going for $99 on black friday at lowes according to bfads.net

http://www.lowes.com/pd_112285-54602...611-_-10935405

see:

http://bfads.net/Search/rockwell

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                      so did the fein multi tool actually cut through tile, and not just the grout joints? if yes, what blade did you use?
                      I did not have cut any tile itself for the bathroom. I did have to remover a row on the new shower installation. The grout in several areas near the door, sink and shower were hard to clean just by brushing or using cleaner (it was 40+ years old at the time.) So I removed the grout and re-grouted it. It was easy with the grout blade. But I did not have to cut down any tile itself.

In the kitchen, I used a cheap HF tile cutter to cut the tile there.
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Conway, SC.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        If you were using it on a constant basis, I don't think the HF would hold up. I do wonder about what one is the most cost effective copy though (durability verses use).
                        Now, what uses have you even used the variable speed on? I think I am going to be replacing tile at work (supposably it has been taken care of so I don't have to ), and am thinking of getting one. I am trying to figure out which one (uses for the multispeed) and if the HF blades are decent.

Thanks
                        I do a lot of tile installation and repair work. I use this tool on every job. From cutting off door jambs(wood blade) to removing grout (diamond blade). I have never had any trouble with it. I don't know that the variable speed is such a big deal. I recently cranked it up and it cut somewhat faster.
                        I almost forgot - I use the carbide triangle shaped blade to remove thinset on repair jobs.
                        I believe the HF blades are as good as the Fein blades. And I also believe this tool is every bit as good as the Fein.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• toolguy1000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • westchester cnty, ny

so assuming one had to make a 16" square cut in a floor of 1" hexagonal tiles (really old school), would the multi tool be effective in that endeavor?
                          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Conway, SC.
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                            so assuming one had to make a 16" square cut in a floor of 1" hexagonal tiles (really old school), would the multi tool be effective in that endeavor?
                            Yes it is possible. First cut thru the grout with the diamond blade on each 16in. side. Then break a few small tiles with a hammer or whatever. Then use a flat chisel or hammer drill to remove remaining tiles in the 16 in. square. Then use the triangle shaped carbide blade to remove the thinset, etc. Then vacuum the mess and install what ever you desire in your new 16 in. void.

Years ago I had to replace about 6 tiles that a carpet installer broke with his hammer while installing the tack strip. I used a diamond blade on a 4 in. grinder to cut all around the tiles. Talk about dust!! At that time a multipurpose tool would have been a lung saver and would have left a much happier client with very little dust in her house.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Now I have to decide between the Ridgid corded Jobmax (with the right angle drill head), and the HF one (I could use a right angle drill).
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
                                .... First cut thru the grout with the diamond blade on each 16in. side....
                                so the diamond blade will cut through the tiles? since the tiles on the floor are hexagonal, there aren't any grout lines that exactly correspond with the cut lines for the 16" section that needs to be removed. so just removing the grout will result in jagged lines along the 16" sides of the outcut. or am i missing something here?

Comment

Working...