X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kalkan
    Handtools only
    • May 2011

Porter-Cable 690LR 11-Amp Fixed-Base Router

Amazon.com has this router for $121.49 with a $20.00 discount bringing it to just over a hundred bucks.

Mine will be arriving Tuesday
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

its a classic design but there are much improved router designs out there, even from Porter cable. But I guess they all do cost around $200 with a couple of bases compared to $100
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

What a difference a year makes. Last year Amazon and others had this same router for $99 with an additional $20 rebate. I actually got one at Menards where they had them for $79 plus the $20 rebate at the same time as eveyone else was at $99. For smaller bits in a hand held operation this router ranks right up there with anyone elses.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Best price I've seen in a while.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Had a 690 for years and love it. Never found a job it couldn't do. Bought a plunge base for it and found it to be great too.
          Richard

Comment

• mrhans
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2011
            • Chicago, Illinois 60640

Originally posted by phrog
            Had a 690 for years and love it. Never found a job it couldn't do. Bought a plunge base for it and found it to be great too.
            Ditto that. I have one mounted under a table and another in a D Handle. Havent seen a reason yet to change out from my PC routers. If youre into routing, I hope youre also into hearing protection.

Comment

• Sawatzky
              Established Member
              • Apr 2005
              • CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

I have had one for 7 years and love it! Great router for table use and hand held. I don't know about the newer ones, but mine seems indestructible.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by mrhans
                Ditto that. I have one mounted under a table and another in a D Handle. Havent seen a reason yet to change out from my PC routers. If youre into routing, I hope youre also into hearing protection.
                mrhans, what is hearing protection? Just kidding ! I have a set of the muffs but have been neglecting them lately. Thanks for reminding us.
                Richard

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have two 690 motors and 4 bases. One single speed motor and 1 variable speed. I use them when I need to do something my Bosch Colt can't handle or when I need two router tables. Dovetails for drawers is probably my most frequent use. But I've built a bunch of raised panel doors with my 690s. They are not the latest and greatest but they work.

I had to replace a switch in my single speed model. I check the brushes periodically but they haven't required replacement yet. Good tool

Jim

Comment

• mrhans
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Chicago, Illinois 60640

Originally posted by phrog
                    mrhans, what is hearing protection? Just kidding ! I have a set of the muffs but have been neglecting them lately. Thanks for reminding us.
                    Youre welcome. I have pretty severe tinnitus from rock n roll and then later in life; power tools. It's a drag and I dont want it to worsen. If you could hear (for a little while) what I cannot stop hearing I think you'd never forget your muffs. Hope that doesnt sound too preachy.

Comment

• Kalkan
                      Handtools only
                      • May 2011

Ok, so my router arrived last night. It seems perfect my my occasional hobby use, but as I was checking it out, I noticed something that's confusing me. I'm sure those of you familiar with this router can help me.

The hole in the sub-base where you insert your guide bushing has 4 concentric "tangs" that supposedly will center the bushing in the recess. Two of the tangs are spaced at .370 inches and the other two are spaced at .378 inches.

The rims on my cheapo guide bushings that fit perfectly in my ancient PC model 1100 router/ 1101 base measure .3765 inches.

What's up with the "oblong" spacing in my new router base?

Thanks for any insight.

Comment

Working...