• Nov 2008

MLCS DP Tables 50% off + FREE SHIP

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../ec100615.html
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

That is mighty tempting...materials alone look like they would cost that much if you had no scraps.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Because of the MDF / Melamine, they would have to pay me to take it off their hands. I had a smaller Grizzly table made with the same materials I got from Loring... Nice table, but it didn't handle the humidity in my shop all that well...

For what he charged me though, I figure I got the hardware I needed for free...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

When properly enclosed melamine/mdf is humidity resistent, perhaps your was just a crappily built table that was in a building that should have had a dehumidifier. In stead of bashing other manufacturers products I think you might consider what you have to work with 1st. I had on of these but sold it with a DP I had for sale. It was in great shape after a few yrs of use,but I maintanied it like all my tools. It got a liberal coat of wax 2-3 times a yr which helped to render it immune from moisture. I,d suggest you do the same if the moisture and humidity in Texas is that bad or you,ll be complaining about more than some warped mdf

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the Grizzly version of the smaller table is essentially the identical same thing as the MLCS for much less than the MLCS sale price. But It wasn't the greatest table ever as DBHOST noted, anyway.

I've discussed the shortcomings of that design a few years ago,
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=42274
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • SoCal, USA
            • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Tommy, these are a waste of money. The laminated surface has come off due to some weird glue used and in the high desert low humidity area I live in it is not due to environmental conditions. The fence desgin is also bad, off center holes through mdf on edge, that is just wrong. The center blank is also an odd thickness ,making it a custom thickness is another flaw. Not worth it at all in my opinion .
            I like the people at MLCS but this product is not good.
            Andrew

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Not sure which forum it was but someone reported similar problems with this table a while back.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
                Tommy, these are a waste of money. The laminated surface has come off due to some weird glue used and in the high desert low humidity area I live in it is not due to environmental conditions. The fence desgin is also bad, off center holes through mdf on edge, that is just wrong. The center blank is also an odd thickness ,making it a custom thickness is another flaw. Not worth it at all in my opinion .
                I like the people at MLCS but this product is not good.
                Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I couldn't disagree more strongly with you on this. I bought one of these DP tables awhile back and couldn't be more pleased with a purchase than I am with this table. I have experienced none of the problems you accuse this table of having.

First of all the offset holes on the fence are done by design to ensure that the fence lock down knobs don't get in the way of the stock that is being drilled. As far as the center blank is concerned, I made a bunch of replacement inserts out of what HD called 3/8" ply but in reality was actually closer to 11/32". These replacement inserts matched almost perfectly to the thickness of the original stock blank. If anything they might of been 1/64" thinner but I doubt if there was even that much difference. Finally, I haven't experienced any of the laminate coming off for any reason be it "weird glue" or even wear and tear.

For someone looking for a no frills DP table, the MLCS Jumbo Drill Press Table is worth considering. I decided to buy this table instead of making one when I figured out that the material costs to build one like it would cost me more than what MLCS is selling this table for.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Wow, For once sween and I agree everyones entitled to their own opinion. The one I had and sold worked fine and I had no problems with it others here have not as well and some have. The idea for me posting this kind of stuff is not for any profit on my own as I have no affiliation with any companys,but merely to put it up here for folks to view and possibly make a purchase of their own choosing. I,m in a huge debate over at another woodworking forum about the CMT and Kreg pocket hole jigs, Don,t go getting things wadded up here its merely for ya,ll to make a choice if you decide to make a purchase . Use your own decision to wether you make a purchase or not, but please lets try to avoid all this bashing here its unecessary. If you buy one and its not what you like you can always send it back afaik,Tommy

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by tommyt654
                    Wow, For once sween and I agree everyones entitled to their own opinion. ..............
                    Oh please, give me a break! Why do you feel it necessary to write an editorial every time anyone makes a response to one of your threads? I've read that so called "debate" over at that other forum and quite frankly......you lost.

Comment

• natausch
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Aurora, IL
                      • BT3000 - 15A

Keep it civil guys. i have one of the standard tables and their table saw router extension.

Are they the same quality as Incra, Bench Dog? No, but at the price they were a valuable addition that let me spend my time on projects and not on fixtures.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Again its everyones opinions their entitled too, I was just surprised you and I actually agreed on something for the 1st time, HeHe. No need to get testy about it. Perhaps you should have completely read both of the post completely through then you would see the discrepancies. I merely made a suggestion based on my experience, But to go out and purchase a unit with the intent of trying (and failing miserably) to make another member look poor in others eyes only suggest serious issues other than the obvious.The number of pm,s sent to me by other members there sayin just let it go cause thats all he does there is probably the best thing for me to do, Here as well,but as I said there as well as here before, There are quite a few folks that appreciate my posting of deals wether they get them in the e-mails or not. So be it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

C'mon guys... This is the second thread in 2 days where guys have been sniping on each other. Is it a full moon or something? Seriously, one of the main reasons this forum is so much better than most is that the guys here generally don't resort to that kind of thing. There are ways to disagree, but still do it politely. So let's just take a chill pill, guys. We don't want this to be just another forum.

Speaking only for myself, but thanking you for everybody...

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Gee Crack,

Maybe its the heat or the proximity to Father's Day with everyone expecting nifty tools and getting ugly ties that's causing some of us to act like little kids.

I suggest a duel to solve disagreements, flintlocks, swords or short barreled 12 gauge shotguns only.

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• tommyt654
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008

Aww Cmon I wanted tractors like the chicken race in Footloose

Comment

Working...