Cosmetic damage to the box but not bits. Regular price $189

Here is the link
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103345...-FRhyiXmQPeR0=
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I've got that set (not the scratch and dent though) and have been exceedingly happy with it. I have used almost every single bit in the aresenal. (haven't had a need for the fluting bits yet)... To say that is a good deal is an understatement.

For what it's worth, MLCS sells the replacement bit case for $24.95 with free shipping. (In case the cosmetic damage is too much for you). You'll still end up about $40.00 ahead of the game...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• glenns5900
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007
      • Longmont CO
      • Mao Shan TSC10L

I had to bite on this one. I've been wanting one of these sets for a few years now but the price has steadily gone up. I guess it must have to do with the economy. It will give me an excuse to start building more projects. So what if the case has a scratch on it. It's the bits that count.
      ------------
      Don't do anything in life that would cause the minister to have to lie at your funeral.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by kaydee
        Cosmetic damage to the box but not bits. Regular price $189
        I bought that set with "cosmetic damaged" router bits some years ago for $50 to $60 IIRC. Some of the bits were discolored but they are still work fine.

They aren't top quality pro grade router bits, but I have been very happy with them. It's great to have the variety of bits so I don't have to run out and buy a bit when I need a shape that is not common for me to use.

They used to maintain an email list, and the deals were shared that way. Definitely worth signing up if you are interested in their products.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Chris_B
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Cupertino, CA

Is it possible to have too many router bits??

Mine arrived today.

Wow! I had to look carefully to find any case damage, which is only minor variations in the surface finish on one end. I've used MLCS bits before and been quite satisfied. Not "awesome," but decent quality. IMO $125 for the entire set is a very good price.

I'm considering signing-up for MLCS' mailing list. Is it possible to have too many router bits, or are they like clamps??

Kaydee - Thanks for the tip!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Chris_B
            Mine arrived today.

Wow! I had to look carefully to find any case damage, which is only minor variations in the surface finish on one end. I've used MLCS bits before and been quite satisfied. Not "awesome," but decent quality. IMO $125 for the entire set is a very good price.

I'm considering signing-up for MLCS' mailing list. Is it possible to have too many router bits, or are they like clamps??

Kaydee - Thanks for the tip!!

there's all kinds of specialty bits - profiles that might do in one pass what it would take two bits to do, like the recessed screw head slot bits, or the Brio train bits.
            You can keep on buying them forever, if you know what i mean.

but that is a good deal on the MLCS set.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• glenns5900
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007
              • Longmont CO
              • Mao Shan TSC10L

I received my set today too. The bits were pretty well coated with a heavy oil and had lots of those moisture absorbing packets in the case. I'm sure that is to prevent rust from the time they are manufactured till the time you receive them. I don't have much problems with rust here in Colorado. It's pretty dry here and most of my tools only need a light coat of car wax.

The box had what looked like a few scuff marks where the finish had worn off on the sides and ends of the box (possibly by rubbing against the outer protective cardboard box). Other than that, the bits look ok.

FYI..... For those of you hoping to get one of these sets, I just checked the website today and it shows that the offer had expired.

Maybe a similar offer will come up again.
              ------------
              Don't do anything in life that would cause the minister to have to lie at your funeral.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Glad you guys could score these bit sets... I have been ecstatic about mine since I got it. I've used most of the profiles out of it, and will likely use all of them. Just some more than others!
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• glenns5900
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Longmont CO
                  • Mao Shan TSC10L

I was just checking through the bits in my new set and found that they sent me two of the 22.5 degree chamfer bits. One should have been a 15 degree. I sent them an email today. Should hear back from them this week.
                  ------------

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by glenns5900
                    I was just checking through the bits in my new set and found that they sent me two of the 22.5 degree chamfer bits. One should have been a 15 degree. I sent them an email today. Should hear back from them this week.
                    they're usually great on customer service. I expect you'll have no problem.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• glenns5900
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Longmont CO
                      • Mao Shan TSC10L

I received an email from Chris at MLCS this morning. They are sending me the 15 degree bit at no charge. I also got an email with a tracking number for the replacement bit. I offered to send the wrong one back and they said to just keep it. I suppose that at $1.89 per bit it would cost more to send it back than it was worth. - Thank you MLCS ! !

Now all I need is a discount on a good 8" Dado set for the table saw.
                      ------------

Comment

Working...