• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

HF 1' x 30' belt sander # 2485

They have this for $30 with a coupon. I needed something smaller than my 4 x36 Hitachi belt sander for smaller work.I figured for $30, how far wrong could I go? Anyone wanna tell me:-)
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The dust port is an odd size, but then again dust ports on a lot of small tools are odd sizes...

I don't know how well it pans out, but I have seen them in store, and they seem to hold up to people fiddling with them okay...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Pittsburgh, PA
      • BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
      They have this for $30 with a coupon. I needed something smaller than my 4 x36 Hitachi belt sander for smaller work.I figured for $30, how far wrong could I go? Anyone wanna tell me:-)
      I have one. It works fine, and I use it a fair amount. It doesn't have a lot of power; don't push the material towards the belt/platen aggressively, or you will stall the motor.

Speaking of which, I should mention that I have actually owned two; the first one I got had a faulty motor that burned out within about five minutes. They replaced it no questions asked, and the second one has been fine for about two years.

In terms of the decision to spend the money on it, I'd say, go for it. I've gotten far more than 30 bucks worth of use out of it....

Joe

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

I have had one for about 5 years, still runs fine. As noted the dust port is a weird size.
        John Hunter

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Thanks much, guys it sounds like a go. I'm going to be using it for very light duty, so not much pressure on the platen. It's something new i'm trying to do, sofor $30, if I get a year out of it I'm happy.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have a similar model from Delta, I find it useful. the platen is removable for doing softer work on slightly curved work and in concave openings.
            also good on small parts with the platen.

CAn't speak as to the HF version.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• glenns5900
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007
              • Longmont CO
              • Mao Shan TSC10L

1 foot by 30 feet?

Where on earth do you find belts for that?

I don't think it would even fit in my garage....

Do you mean 1" x 30" ?
              ------------
              Don't do anything in life that would cause the minister to have to lie at your funeral.

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006
                • Pittsburgh, PA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by glenns5900
                1 foot by 30 feet?

Probably from Robert Fripp

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                i have a similar model from Delta, I find it useful. the platen is removable for doing softer work on slightly curved work and in concave openings.
                I am not necessarily recommending this, and I would definitely recommend against this with a more powerful machine, but one can sand curves •above• the platen without removing it. One can also, if one feel comfortable with the safety aspect of it, remove the upper guard and sand some inside curves there as well.

Notice I said "one." That means, "not you if you don't feel it's safe, or if you're klutzy, or if your or any of your friends or family happen to be a lawyer!"

Joe

P. S. : nothing against lawyers; proud to have a few fine lawyers in my family who are fine human beings as well....

Comment

• wouldchuck
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2005
                  • Richmond, VA, USA.

I've had one for a couple of years, and I like it a lot. It has an induction motor, and is pretty quiet. It is a handy size, so it is easy to keep it set up and ready to go (unlike my oscillating spindle sander). It did require some tune-up when I first got it. In particular, the drum attached to the motor was not real tight, and it slid out and rubbed against the plastic guard until it melted.

So, as is pretty standard for HF, you have to figure on offsetting the money you saved by spending a little more time to make sure the thing is put together right...

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                    They have this for $30 with a coupon.
                    Where are you finding that coupon? I can't seem to find that one.

Thanks.

Edit: Found the coupon, it's in the coupon mailing they sent out in early January.
                    Last edited by woodturner; 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

I have had mine for years and it is real handy for small work. I mounted mine on a board and have it hanging on the wall.

Lee Valley sells very fine 30" belts that work great for sharpening. They even have a leather belt for stropping.

Steve
                      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by glenns5900
                        1 foot by 30 feet?

I don't think it would even fit in my garage....

Do you mean 1" x 30" ?
                        I think the Jolly Green Giant uses those for dental floss. (But, then, I date myself.)
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

• tjr
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • at the falls of the Ohio
                          • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Originally posted by woodturner
                          Where are you finding that coupon? I can't seem to find that one
                          Not sure if there was a specific coupon for this item. Glanced at them yesterday, were $39.99 regular price in the store. They're $34.99 on the website so if they'll match that and let you use the 20% coupon from Readers Digest, etc. it's a total of $28.

They also have a similar machine with a 5" disc sander on the end, about twice as expensive. 5" seems kinda small in usefulness for the added money.

Comment

• Fussy
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Berea, Kentucky
                            • Sears Craftsman 9" bench saw from 1972 still works great

Hf 2485

I got mine about 2 1/2 years ago for $19.99. It works fine. Just bought some premium belts from Lee Valley, up to 1200x, to use for honing. Works fine. Great buy.
                            Steve

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Fussy
                              I got mine about 2 1/2 years ago for $19.99. It works fine. Just bought some premium belts from Lee Valley, up to 1200x, to use for honing. Works fine. Great buy.
                              It makes a nice tool for sharpening. Lay it down with the belt running away from you. Thirty seconds on it and a little time on a strap and you have a very sharp knife.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...