X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feq451
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2008

20% off Harbor Freight monthly

For the last several months Harbor Freight has had 20% off coupons in both Popular science and popular mechanics on a page full of coupons including the multitool for $30. can't combine with the 20% off but still for a larger purchase easily justifies buying the mag.

Be warned I've burned through 2 of their multifunction tool with minimal use motor just seems to burn out (smells it, could be the drywall dust) bought the warranty on the second one and will just keep returning them till I get a good one.

Adam
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Noted. You are the first person I have read about with an issue with the multi tool...

Just out of my curiosity, have you blown the dust out of it and seen if it is just burnt drywall dust you are smellling? I had the same thing with a Rotozip years ago, and once you blow the dust out, smell goes away...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• skamath
      Established Member
      • Sep 2006
      • san diego, ca
      • BT3100, 22124

...and if you are making a trip to the local store you can get this filler item for cheap.

6000 Piece 5/8" 23 Gauge Pin Nails $.99
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94708

the local store might have a different price, you may have to get them to price match, which they will do readily.

PS: i got the pinner recently and it works. leaves a little bigger T shaped hole, but like i said it works. the only concern i have is that the safety is not great and i am afraid i might shoot nails when i don't intend to.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Is that the brad nailer / stapler combo unit? Loring mentioned something about those.... I haven't heard anything bad except for one or two users that have had the brad nailer single function gun fail right out of the box... (For all the users I have seen mention the gun, one or two is a VERY low percentage....)
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I think he was talking about the 23 ga. pin nailer which has no "push in" safety mechanism.

For what it is worth, HF has two versions of the stapler/nailer combos. One,
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97524, has a 2" brad capacity and 1" staple capacity and works pretty well. It will leave some deep marks, but has a depth adjustment that helps some.

The second, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97525, shoots 1 1/4" brads and 1" staples, it works ok with brads but not with staples. It doesn't have a depth adjustment so that is hit or miss especially with staples.

I have both these and spent less than $30 for both so I dont think either was big waste of cash. I have gotten enough use from both to pay for themselves.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• skamath
            Established Member
            • Sep 2006
            • san diego, ca
            • BT3100, 22124

i was referring to their 23 gauge pin nailer.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Gotcha... I am hoping to pick up a compressor soon. We will see how that works out though...

Comment

• prisbylla
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2008

Be careful with the safety-less guns. They can shoot a staple or nail right into and mostly through your hand. I had to experimentally verify this at a job I once had. Needless to say, this wasn't a workplace that OSHA visited often.

Comment

• skamath
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2006
                  • san diego, ca
                  • BT3100, 22124

(apologies for hijacking this thread.)

okay for those who own the HF 23 gauge pin nailer and know about the safety on other brand name pin nailers. is there a big difference?

the HF brad nailers (like the brand name ones) have the bump safety, but pin nailer doesn't seem to support that kind of trigger safety.

i am going to try and not do this but, if by mistake I shoot my foot with a 23 gauge pin nailer how damaging is that?

Comment

• feq451
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Noted. You are the first person I have read about with an issue with the multi tool...

Just out of my curiosity, have you blown the dust out of it and seen if it is just burnt drywall dust you are smellling? I had the same thing with a Rotozip years ago, and once you blow the dust out, smell goes away...
                    havent cleaned it out, the motor litterally stopped working. would just shut off and then only run at like 1/2 or 1/4 speed. maybe I got the junk two in the country. great tool when it works.

adam

Comment

• just started
                      • Mar 2008
                      • suburban Philly

Originally posted by skamath
                      ...and if you are making a trip to the local store you can get this filler item for cheap.

6000 Piece 5/8" 23 Gauge Pin Nails $.99
                      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94708

the local store might have a different price, you may have to get them to price match, which they will do readily.

PS: i got the pinner recently and it works. leaves a little bigger T shaped hole, but like i said it works. the only concern i have is that the safety is not great and i am afraid i might shoot nails when i don't intend to.
                      Jst like any gun, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT!!!!!

Comment

• jziegler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Salem, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

The same ad is in the latest "This Old House" magazine. 20% off single item, $30 multitool, and a page of other stuff that didn't catch my eye.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I think I saw one of the coupons showing $119.00 for either model of the 12" compound slider...

There are a couple of coupons I would love to use, but don't want to cut up the article on the page behind...

Comment

• Martin
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2005
                            • Carrollton, TX, USA.
                            • BT3100; Antique Delta 8" tilting table

Harbor freight coupon in Wood Magazine

I carefully cut the page from the magazine and took it to the store. After scanning the coupon the clerk gave the page back to me as it was still good for the next month.
                            INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY

Comment

• phi1l
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Madison, WI

Hi. I have one of these & I noticed that it works fine for small short duration jobs, but if it stays on for any period of time, the transmission area gets quite hot. So, I think I will reserve it for the smaller close quarters areas it is best at.

Comment

Working...