• Show
Clear All
  • JaiPea
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

HF drill press

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38119

HF has this on sale for half-price.

Is this one of the better tools HF sells or does it fall into the barely adequate category?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

With a 2" spindle stroke, I would pass that one up.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

I have this unit and have been pleased with it. If you do not have a drill press at all it will be helpful. No problems with operation, just limited on the size. It's been reasonably accurate, quiet, and hasn't balked at anything I've drilled with it.
      - Chris.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I have had that model for several years. Got it for $40.

It drills holes. It's too small. The spindle falls off periodically, so I press it back on.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Bob Crosley
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Valrico, Florida.

I'm finding benchtop Deltas, etc. used for $40 all day long on craigslist. I'd feel better with a used Delta than a new HF. I have nothing against HF tools (for the good ones) but I think the Deltas are better made.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I've had the HF version (also paid $40) and the identical Craftsman, which I inherited from my brother. The HF vibrated a ton and would not drill straight. The CMAN works just fine within it's own limitations. I'm sure it's not a HF thing, just luck of the draw that the particular one I got was bad since they are both identical.

The one thing I don't like is how the table attaches to the shaft. It "floats" on the post and moves laterally very easily. It doesn't have the crank and geared track like others.
            Joe

Comment

• gjat
              • Nov 2005
              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
              • BT3100

I find mine adequate for 95% of what I use it for. Quiet, accurate enough, powerful enough, but it is VERY small. I had a floor model i sold because of limited space. You're not getting more than what you pay for it. If I didn't need one in a short period, I would have held out for a used 'whatever' from Craigslist.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Lots of us here have this one:
                http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43378

It routinely goes on sale (I think I paid about $140). It's a nice DP, especially for the money. I sometimes find myself wishing I had more spindle stroke even than that one, so I think 2" would be positively limiting...

Comment

• Sawatzky
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • CA
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I also have this drill press. Other than not being very powerful, I have not had a need for a drill press with a longer spindle travel. It does everything I need it to, it just takes time to drill big holes. I mostly use it for drilling forstener holes for cabinet doors. It works but could benefit from more power. I also use it with a set of drum sanders and it works great as a spindle sander.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer

It routinely goes on sale (I think I paid about $140). It's a nice DP, especially for the money. I sometimes find myself wishing I had more spindle stroke even than that one, so I think 2" would be positively limiting...
                    I have that same DP, just with a Northern Tool label on it and red paint... It's okay, especially for what I paid for it.

I made a HUGE mistake and allowed myself to drool over the Steel City 17" DP at Woodcraft this weekend...

I honestly find the over 3" stroke of my current DP limiting. I can't imagine trying to use a DP that only does 2" travel...

But then again I guess it all depends on what you are drilling for...

I am drilling axle bore holes in toy cars made from 2x4 laminations... Not exactly the easiest thing to do... I have had to stop a hole, raise the table and continue just to be able to drill through... A real PITA, and probably not exactly super safe, but it works...

There are times I wish my DP was a benchtop model though, on one of those flip stands shared with the planer to free up floor space... But honestly, I have nothing to complain about with my floor model DP. I added some of the nicer touches like a work tray, DP fence, and retractable chuck key holder.

So long winded explaination, if you can do what you need to do with this DP then it might just be a bargain, but if it is too limiting, it is a waste of money.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you need a light-duty, DP and don't need to drill deep materials or large items then this will do.
                      But for a general purpose shop you might get a bigger one for a bit more money.
                      this one's got the no crank table lift, small vertical quill travel and limited swing plus a smaller motor. You get what you pay for.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by tfischer

I've got the benchtop version of this one (38142), and think it's on the impressive side, far exceeding expectations. Not sure I'd pay $80 for the model in the OP, but if on sale for $40, it's should beat nothing.
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JaiPea
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

Thanks guys

Comment

• frumper64
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Garland, Tx, USA.

I also have had this drill press for a couple of years and have been well served by it. It is indeed limited on size and number of speeds, but it is hard to beat for the price if you can live with the limitations.
                            Jim
                            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...