• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

MLCS 45 bit set for $99.95 shipped

This is a 3 day sale only and expires on 12/8/08 @ midnight. That's the same price as their 30 pc set.

45 pc bit set

These are decent bits at a great price...not Whiteside or Infinity caliber but a great deal on lots of good performing bits.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i agree...
    scott forgot to mention the free shipping
    and excellent cust service.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• geopilot
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Lexington, KY, USA.

And looks like all 1/2 in shafts, too.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by geopilot
        And looks like all 1/2 in shafts, too.
        Both 1/4" and 1/2" are available, but if you're router accepts 1/2", those are recommended whenever possible.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• themachine
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Cincinnati, OH
          • BT3100, General Intl. 220

They also have a drill press table that seems like a good deal on sale for $60 plus ffree shipping.

Comment

• geopilot
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Lexington, KY, USA.

That table looks very similar to the Grizzly H7827 table for $30

http://grizzly.com/products/H7827

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

HF has a DP table that's similar in style and price too.

harborfreight.com/96395

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I have the MLCS 15 piece set. I bought it when I was starting out. It has been a great value for the money. I have not had any issues with using them.

I have had this set for 2 plus years and I think I have only used 5 or 6 out of the 15 bits in the set. I always wonder with these big sets if you only use a handful and the rest just sit in the box if it is that great of a value.

Kevin

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by kevincan
                  I have the MLCS 15 piece set. I bought it when I was starting out. It has been a great value for the money. I have not had any issues with using them.

I have had this set for 2 plus years and I think I have only used 5 or 6 out of the 15 bits in the set. I always wonder with these big sets if you only use a handful and the rest just sit in the box if it is that great of a value.

Kevin
                  That's a good observation that offers logic in support of smaller sets, or smaller sets of higher quality for the same price. (ie: the Whiteside 7pc set for $80). But as with most choices, it's a matter of preference and how we approach various tasks. some folks will use more profiles than others. There's really no right or wrong, just different.

Most of the big sets offer more size choices of similar profiles than smaller sets, and only a few additional unique profiles...you might get 4 roundovers and 4 coves vs 1, etc. Many of the "specialty" bits I've purchased aren't included in the common bigger sets, but having additional sizes of basic profiles like coves and roundovers is handy.

I typically recommend against spending a lot of money on larger sets, but when you can get 45 decent quality bits for the same price as 30 decent bits (which is still considered a smaller set by many people), it's a fairly attractive offer for some folks. You often get what you pay for, but if "good" grade imports are what's best suited for your needs, this set offers a bit more for the money (pun intended! ) .
                  Last edited by Knottscott; 12-06-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I've had very good luck with MCLS router bits. At a little over $2.20 per bit, it's tough to go wrong if you are just starting out and need some bits. Even if half of them just sit in the box, it's still a good buy. Thing is, you have some to try if the desire strikes you!!
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Buying bits one at a time will cost your $7-20 each at a place like MLCS.
                      In this set (or their 30-pc set) they'll cost you 2.20 to 3.33 per bit.
                      As far as I can tell, these are the same bits you buy individually - not cheap ones for a set.
                      So it's easy to do the math - even if you use 1/3 of the bits its cheaper to buy the sets. Honestly, it took me a few years but I've used more than half the bits in my set (I can tell because some of them still have the original rubber protective coating).

On top of that, here's some additional Pluses:
                      1. - organization - you don't have all these plastic cases and bags you have to search thru, you have a nice box that's organized and labeled.
                      2. selection - you have bits you can try on a whim, easily experiment with.
                      3. availability - you have them now, you don't have to run to three hardware stores for a specific profile and end up paying $30 for Bosch or wait 3-7 days for delivery from your favorite mail order store.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-07-2008, 11:26 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Gator95
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Atlanta GA
                        • Ridgid 3660

I've got the MLCS 15 bit set, and think it's a great value to start out. One thing to point out is that the bits in the set may not be exactly identical to the ones bought individually. A friend of mine who bought the 45pc set ran 1000LF of MDF (yes, he really did) doing wainscotting had to replace a couple profiles and he told me that the ones ordered individually had longer shanks.

Still an awesome value.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

At least on 2 specific profiles, from the 66 piece set, I understand that the part # is the same as the individual orders...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...