• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Rockler wood prices good?

Rockler's summer sale also includes 25% off wood. I've never bought any wood more exotic than Douglas Fir. As I don't have a jointer yet, I am not able to buy rough stock (right?) so I would have to (I presume) use something like what Rockler offers.

That said, I am wondering how their wood prices compare to similar stock elsewhere? i.e. does the 25% off make it something I should jump at?

I am a newbie... I am anticipating making some furniture in the next couple of months and wonder if I should grab the wood now and design / decide on what to do with it later?

Thanks!
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

My impression is that the Woodcraft and Rockler stores have wood at somewhat expensive prices relative to the lumberyards.
    They tend to have a much wider selection than the box stores (Lowes and HD - usually oak, cedar and poplar) but its often limited in widths and thcknesses. usually S2S rather than rough cut, so you can see the grain better.

MY guess is somewhere around 25% off and 50% off you start to get more competitive.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

My local Rockler just finished a 50% off all lumber sale, and that brought the price of their poplar in line with the BORG. Rockler had a better selection of wider boards, though. Picked up some to make a bench for the "free" piano.

I'm still searching for a lumberyard in St. Louis that doesn't cost a couple of body parts for decent hardwood.
      g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• MBG
        • Apr 2003
        • Chicago, Illinois.
        • Craftsman 21829

All Rockler's are probably not the same but mine has similar prices (if not lower) than the big box stores. Even w/o the 25% off my Rockler gives a significant discount if you purchase 100 BF or more (was $2.80 BF for red oak last time I bought it). I usually buy red oak at my Rockler and it comes joined one edge sanded both but the thickness is usually greater than 3/4" and varies slightly from board to board so you would be wise to pick up a planer.

Mike

Comment

• larycahill
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • O\'Fallon, IL, USA.

Try this link to find suppliers in your area: http://www.woodfinder.com/

I have used Doug White Hardwoods in Marissa, IL for years. I am in O'Fallon, IL so am a little closer than you would be. However, the woodfinder site might lead you to something closer to STL.

Lary

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by larycahill
            Try this link to find suppliers in your area: http://www.woodfinder.com/

I have used Doug White Hardwoods in Marissa, IL for years. I am in O'Fallon, IL so am a little closer than you would be. However, the woodfinder site might lead you to something closer to STL.

Lary
            Thanks!

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gsmittle
              My local Rockler just finished a 50% off all lumber sale, and that brought the price of their poplar in line with the BORG.
              Which is still pretty bad. Poplar is $2.75 BF at my local Borg. Lowes is a little less. Depending upon region of the country you should be able to get poplar for approximately half of that amount. Add $.25 to $.50 per board foot for S3S (3 sides finished to presand condition).

davidtu, you are correct that rough lumber wouldn't be a great move unless you were planning to make molding out of the stuff or you are very handy with a plane! Now maybe the time to get a jointer and planner. 6" jointer and lunchbox planner is going to be around $700. Amazingly, if only takes a few large projects to make that money up in savings, when comparing $2.75 BF v. $1.40 BF.

I am not familiar with Rockler B&M store pricing on wood, but I know that I would not be remotely enticed to stock pile wood based upon a 25% off Woodcrafts regular retail. 50% would get Woodcraft in the ball park.

Comment

• MBG
                • Apr 2003
                • Chicago, Illinois.
                • Craftsman 21829

FYI. There was a lumber run close to my house and I bought some rough sawn red oak (this was my first purchase of rough sawn lumber). While I was milling the lumber I thought it was a real pain and time consuming. I was building some raised panel doors and a face frame. When I assembled the components the lumber was the straightest-best fitting I had ever used. Saved lots of sanding time. So there is another reason to mill your own lumber besides price.

Good Luck!

Mike

Comment

• wassaw998
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I have seen a Rockler "truck load" sale where the lumber was very reasonably priced (almost enough for me to go to the sale!) , but in general I'd not look for lumber at Rocklers (or WoodCraft, or, highland hardware) in my area. I'd compare with the prices of lumber yards in your area (not Borg/lowes) who specialize in hardwoods. (not Borg/Lowes). Also, be aware that lumber prices are very regional. So if a guy from accross the country gives you a price that they pay for a given species, it may have no bearing on what you'll find in your area. Also, as mentioned, some places give a discount on large purchases, may help to have a friend or two go together. Oh, finally, did I mention that I'd not buy hardwoods at Borg or Lowes?
                  Chris

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by MBG
                    While I was milling the lumber I thought it was a real pain and time consuming....When I assembled the components the lumber was the straightest-best fitting I had ever used....
                    Truer words cannot be spoken! And, they deserve repeating.

Remember that a true comparison between using pre-milled lumber, and milling your own, needs to include some milling of the "pre-milled" lumber. Once I gave up on assuming that stuff was square, my projects have come together (literally) a lot better.

My $0.02 on Rockler wood prices: at 25% off, they're probably in the ballpark of a lumberyard. Not spectacular, but you're not getting fleeced.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

I think you guys are right, different rockler's have different prices. The one here had red oak for 3$ a bf for the last 2 months, which is pretty good. Some of the lumber I'm sure is overpriced, but always cheaper than the box stores here.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• davidtu
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Seattle, WA
                        • BT3100

Thank you all!

Sounds like I will not be running out to Rockler for wood, which is sort of what I suspected. I guess there are five levels of wood providers out there: 1) HD/Lowes box stores, 2) Builder's lumberyard, 3) Woodworking specialty store (Rockler/Woodcraft) 4) hardwood lumberyard, 5) rough stock yard. Is that correct?

I am under the impression that #1 & #2 do not carry any exotic woods that the others do, correct? I can't find Bubinga at those right? (To me that sounds exotic anyway.) Have never been to #4 or #5 but I guess the Woodfinder link will help there (thanks!).

Jeffrey, I do have a planer already, so I guess I am half (or a third?) of the way there.... still need a jointer and a bandsaw, from what I understand.

I was able to pick up the Delta planer on sale at HDT (got real lucky to snag the last one I think)... BUT you guys have ruined me on the jointer as I missed out on the Sears $104 deal and am still stung by it... how can I spend 3x's that now?! Ugh.

So... guys, waiting for you to find amazing deals on a bandsaw and a jointer for me!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

1) Big Box stores : HD/Lowes - no exotics or imports - hardwook = poplar and red oak in most cases - hard wood is expensive here

2) Builders Lumberyard - think 84 lumber and the like - mostly framing material, sheathing and pressure treated

3) Woodworking stores - Rockler/Woodcraft - wood mostly an after thought - primary biz is selling tools

4) Sawmill - rough lumber which will generally include local species, maybe green, air dried or kiln dried - generally lowest price provider - may offer surfacing, planning, jointing, etc on site for nominal fee

5) Lumber Dealer - does not saw on site but offers wood for wholesale or retail - will sometimes have minimum orders - will have range of hardwoods, often including imported hardwoods - generally sells hardwoods in rough, though will stock common hardwoods such as red oak and poplar S4S (ready to use no planning, jointed needed) - they will surface, plane, joint, etc for a minimal fee - they will often sell other lines such as premium decking and premium building supplies

You can get 4 & 5 to sell you rough lumber face jointed and edge jointed (meaning they flatten and smooth one face of the board and one edge). You will then need to run rough face through planner and then rip board with jointed edge against fence to get square stock. No bandsaw needed unless you want to take thick expensive wood and make veneers out of it by resawing. If you have a 3/4" poplar piece that you need to be 1/2" you would just use thickness planner, wasting 1/4". If you had some Cocobola you would use band saw to remove a slice that you would later use for another project and then plan the remaining to 1/2".

Comment

• davidtu
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Seattle, WA
                            • BT3100

VERY HELPFUL, thanks Jeffrey!!

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Your best bet is going to be a lumber yard, and use woodcraft and rockler for exotics that you can't find elsewhere. Again I have to disagree with Jeff here because the local Rockler here has a good lumber selection, the woodcraft has barely any. I still think it varies from store to store.

Nothing beats a small out of the way lumber yard though, which is where I get most of my stuff.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...