• Show
Clear All
  • dbarnett
    Established Member
    • Aug 2004
    • San Diego
    • JET-10CW2-PF 10 Contractor-Style Tablesaw

HF Air Compressor Advice

I posted this on one other woodworking forum and I thought I would try here too.

This is the compressor on sale for $149.00

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/startBrowseBook.do?bookid=121&preview=&type=RET&si mple=

This is the 20% that I can use to knock of another $29.00 and change:

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202&email=

Final Price should be $120.00

What do you all think of this compressor for small jobs?

Dan - East San Diego
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

You might get more responses if you post this in the Tool Talk forum.

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I have had the HF pancake compressor for about 6 years, and other than getting stolen, and then retrieved, it is a good one. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

I have the 21 Gallon one and love it. It is a bit loud but that seems to be the same with most ones of this size. Now all most all my usage is with air nailer's so I can not speak as to how it keeps up with other air tools like grinders.
        John Hunter

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Great Buy

I've had my compressor for a little over a year and have no complaints.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• dbarnett
            Established Member
            • Aug 2004
            • San Diego

bigstick509....Do you spray with yours?

I figure I will spray 4 to 6 small to medium projects per year. I have heard complaints that this compressor is noisy, but I thought that Oil Lubed compressors were supposed to be quiet, especially compared to the little 1 gallon oil less that I have now....

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Dan

Comment

• victorm385
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2004
              • Sandy, Utah, USA.

I've had the 21 gallon for about two years...... It runs very well.....

The only problem that I have had was last fall when I had my new shop built the
              workers asked if they could hook up to my compressor instead of using their pancake compressors... they were running five to seven large nail guns at a time for 8 hrs and it tripped the fuse. When I restarted the compressor it was very noisy and I thought that I would have to replace it. I changed the oil and
              it quieted down and has run fine since.

For light jobs, excellent results.

PS When the workers returned the next day they asked SHMBO if they could hook up to the compressor again, she told them "**** No!"

Comment

• PALefty
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006

which one?

I am considering getting a compressor as well. I was thinking about getting one of the PC combo deals with the basic nailers... but it seems many people have had success with the cheap HF ones. I only see myself running one gun at a time, but I want something that can run a framing nailer (general usage). While the 21Gal seems like it could easily handle all my needs, it seems like overkill for what I would need and not very portable. What are the limits of the various models being offered? Does the twin tank offer any advantage over a single tank?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...%20COMPRESSORS

2 Gal (59.99-20%)
                1.5 horsepower motor (rated)
                Air delivery: 3.0 CFM @ 70 PSI; 3.4 CFM @ 40 PSI
                Thermal overload protection
                Oil lubricated
                120 volts
                12.5 amps
                1700 RPM
                Cast aluminum pump
                Max PSI: 115
                Shipping weight: 38 lbs

4 Gal Pancake ($89.99-20%)
                Low profile stability on rooftops. Excellent for contractors and roofers. Includes pressure switch on @ 80 PSI and pressure switch unloader @ 115 PSI.
                1-3/4 HP rated motor
                Air delivery: 5.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI; 4.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI
                Oil lubrication
                Motor:115V, 60 Hz, 3450 RPM; Weight: 51 lb

5 Gal Twin tank ($99.99-20%)
                3/4 HP (rated) motor
                Air delivery: 3.8 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 5.0 SCRM @ 40 PSI
                Oil lubricated for long life
                Two capacitor motor with thermal overload for fast, easy start-up
                Low RPM motor for extended service life
                Clear-view window for easy oil level check
                Easy-to-read pressure gauge
                High impact ABS motor shroud for maximum protection
                Single-stage pump; Aluminum crankcase housing; Rubber suction feet for maximum stability; Includes pressure gauge; Motor: 115V, single phase, 1720 RPM; Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT

6.5 Gal ($89.99-20%)
                Two horsepower rated
                Air Delivery: 3.4 CFM @ 70 PSI, 2.6 CFM @ 115 PSI
                Oil lubrication
                115 volts
                11 amps

21Gal ($169-20%)
                Heavy duty 3HP rated motor
                3.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 8.8 SCFM @ 40 PSI
                Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast iron sleeve
                Twin capacitor motor with thermal overload protection
                Wheel kit with 6'' wheels and ergonomic handle for smooth portability
                Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance
                Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers
                120 volt, 60Hz; Shipping weight: 152 lbs.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

The pancake compressors are run the framing nailers just fine. I have the Porter Cable compressor and I have used 2 finish nailers, 1 stapler and 1 framing nailer without any problems what so ever. If you do a little searching and wait until a good deal comes along you can get the PC combo kit for a very good price. Example: The one I got included compressor and 3 guns in the box. Lowes normally carries compressor and 2 guns as their combo. Since they had no shelf space in their plan-o-gram for the 3 gun unit they lowered the price to less than the 2 gun unit. Usually you can find a mail in rebate for 3rd gun or the like. Amazon can have a good deal on the combo when used with discounts and free shipping.

As to the HF compressor I believe it will be louder than pancake compressor. Note if you plan on using the framing nailer on locations portability maybe an issue with the larger units. I am 100% through framing a 9 x8 playhouse for my girls and I used the PC compressor with a HF Framing Nailer. Worked like a charm.

Comment

• PALefty
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                    The pancake compressors are run the framing nailers just fine. I have the Porter Cable compressor and I have used 2 finish nailers, 1 stapler and 1 framing nailer without any problems what so ever.
                    good to know!

If you do a little searching and wait until a good deal comes along you can get the PC combo kit for a very good price.
                    I haven't been watching the sales on these. What would be a good price?

Yes, I think I would want something more portable. It is hard to pass up the price though. I will have to resist the urge and stick to one of the smaller ones as it will fit in my basement easier.

Note- I did notice that using an extension cord on some of these models voids the warranty.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by PALefty

I haven't been watching the sales on these. What would be a good price?

Yes, I think I would want something more portable. It is hard to pass up the price though. I will have to resist the urge and stick to one of the smaller ones as it will fit in my basement easier.

Note- I did notice that using an extension cord on some of these models voids the warranty.

I can't remember what I got mine for, but I am thinking right below $200. That was compressor and 3 guns.
                      Amazon has CFBN125N for $255.70 which includes 2 guns 18 GA stapler and 18 Gauge Brad Nailer and $25 off. I would try to find one with a decent finish nailer included.

I got the items included with CFFN250T for around $200. Seeing that you are wanting to do framing, I would imagine you will need a finish Nailer and the 16 gauge included in the kit fits the bill.

I think Amazons price is high on this right now. I would wait for a sale on item. Some folks have noted that if you place the item in your cart while you are signed in it will email if price goes down. You need a good $ off or % off to make Amazon feasiable on this. I am not sure how I got such a good deal on it.

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

For portablity I have the HF twin tank http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42321 and love it.
                        John Hunter

Comment

• dbarnett
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • San Diego

Thanks all... I bought this one for $119.00

With a 20% discount off of the $149 flyer price course.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47065

Will keep you posted on its use. One of the employees has one of these units and he stated that be has painted 2 cars and 2 motor cycles with this compressor, along with all the other typical jobs.

I figure that I can't go wrong on this low of a price...

Dan
                          Last edited by dbarnett; 04-05-2006, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• dbarnett
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • San Diego

Strike 2 for Harbor Freight..RANT

I just unpacked the compressor, filled the oil to the red dot in the window, checked all of the valves, etc. I started the compressor up and heard a very loud hiss under the plastic shield. Upon inspection, the gasket is blown and air is escaping from the cylinder head. My first 2HPHFDC was a dud, and now this. I guess I get to load it up and exchange it for a new one. I can't tell you how bummed I am. Part of me does not want to deal with this frustration anymore even if it is a "BARGAIN". Am I having bad luck, or is this typical for the HF stuff....

Dan - San Diego

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

I have done a lot of business with HF over the years and only returned for exchange one item, their dovetail unit. It had a broken in shipment knob and they replaced it with a new unit with out a hitch. I had more hassle returning a Porter Cable Finish Nailer that was bad out of the box.
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...