Delta X5 6" Pro Jointer at Amazon for $380 free shipping?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fergusburger
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Stillwater, MN, USA.
    • BT3

Delta X5 6" Pro Jointer at Amazon for $380 free shipping?

The Great Rebate event at Amazon shows the Delta 37-275X X5 6" Professional Jointer, regular price $580, less $100 Amazon rebate match, plus either another $100 rebate from Delta or a Delta tool (sander or router), PLUS free super saver shipping today. From what I can tell that puts it in your shop for $380 after you get back both rebate checks. I've been waiting for a killer deal on the discontinued Craftsman, but this one certainly caught my attention.

- Tom
  • wassaw998
    • Jul 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Does the Amazon Rebate get instantly applied ? If so, is there a code or something as it's not showing up when I tested it by adding it to my cart. Also, the X5 had a similar deal a few months back, but, on that one there was also a free mobile base...wonder where that went?
    Chris

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

Is this Delta X5 Jointer really any good? Any of the members here actually have one?? If so can you tell me how it's working for you? I am a newbie but since I just got my incentive for exceeding last years plan. I am looking to buy myself a treat. I am seriously considering wanting to purchase the Grizzly G0586 8" Jointer w/2 HP Motor due to rave reviews on some of the woodworking magazines i've read recently. But if this Delta X5 jointer is okay, I might opt for this and buy another router to add for me router collection.. Any info would be great.
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• wassaw998
        • Jul 2004
        • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Chris D. -
        I can tell you that the X5 is rated as a good 6" jointer, in the reviews I have seen it does well - I do not own one (yet). They esp like the rack and pinion fence. I am also in the same boat as you regarding 6" versus one of the Grizz 8" units, I was actually leaning towards the G0490. I think common sense / practicality is telling me I really just don't need that much machine in my home shop and I can do what I do perfectly well on a nice 6" Jointer. However, that may or may not apply to anyone else! The bummer is, not long back Amazon had a sim deal, but were also tossing in a free mobile base..
        Chris

Comment

• DTG
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005

I just checked this deal out and it looks like you can get this jointer for 321.99 now. Amazon put the price as too low to display, but when you add it to your cart it is 521.99. Add that to the $200.00 in rebates and free shipping should bring it down to 321.99.

Comment

• wassaw998
            • Jul 2004
            • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I went ahead and placed an order today...
            Chris

Comment

• psal2
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

Originally posted by wassaw998
              I went ahead and placed an order today...

I sure hope you got MY shipping address correct.
              Thanks,
              Pete

Comment

• chrisNC
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

I went ahead and ordered yesterday for the $321 deal...though i may get the sander instead of the cash. I just got notice a couple of hours ago that it shipped.

Comment

• wassaw998
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I was wondering how do they ship these ? And, how does it end up on your door? Do they just drop it off at the end of the driveway if no one is home? I've never had anything this big shipped to me before. Moving it is not a big deal, but, I'd just like to be there when it arrived!
                  Chris

Comment

• chrisNC
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006

I was wondering how do they ship these ? And, how does it end up on your door? Do they just drop it off at the end of the driveway if no one is home? I've never had anything this big shipped to me before. Moving it is not a big deal, but, I'd just like to be there when it arrived!
                    That is a great question. I have no idea....anyone want to chime in here? I did add in the mobile base. I'm hoping I can assemble the entire thing on it. Of course, the jointer shipped first, so I'll have to find the patience to wait for it before assembling.

Comment

• thrytis
                      • May 2004
                      • Concord, NC, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

I've never had something like this delivered, but from what i've read about shipments this size, the trucking company will call and set up a delivery time with you. I believe Amazon's policy for truck shipments is it will be delivered at least to your door if not to the room inside that you want it. Most other companies by default only arrange to have it moved to the back of the truck and you are responsible for unloading. I've heard one report that the trucking company said it would only bring it to the back of the truck and he had to remind them that Amazon has arranged for delivering into the house, so don't let them skimp out on you. You should be able to find their shipping policy somewhere on their website.
                      Eric

Comment

• spf45
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by thrytis
                        I've never had something like this delivered, but from what i've read about shipments this size, the trucking company will call and set up a delivery time with you. I believe Amazon's policy for truck shipments is it will be delivered at least to your door if not to the room inside that you want it. Most other companies by default only arrange to have it moved to the back of the truck and you are responsible for unloading. I've heard one report that the trucking company said it would only bring it to the back of the truck and he had to remind them that Amazon has arranged for delivering into the house, so don't let them skimp out on you. You should be able to find their shipping policy somewhere on their website.
                        I just scheduled a delivery for a bandsaw from Amazon the other day. It is being delivered by ABF. ABF called me and we agreed on a time for delivery. I called them back later when my schedule changed in a way that conflicted with the delivery time. No problem.

I asked what they were going to do for me because I don't have the ability to get something out of a truck, and they said that they have a lift gate and will get it out of the truck for me but the rest was my responsibility. All I need is help getting the saw on the ground, so I didn't ask any more questions. But my experience is that delivery/service people are human beings and will often do more than the policy states if you are pleasant. They can also "accidentally" break stuff if you are unpleasant.

By the way, shipping cost applied in my case and it was very high. High enough that it should include delivering it to the third floor of a building via stairs.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • IL, USA.
                          • DELTA 36-675

When I ordered my delta 50-850 dust collector Amazon used a freight company named EGL and the delivery went smooth. They normally call u before the scheduled delivery and make arrangements. The only deliver between 7AM to 12PM. One thing you have to make sure is that your phone number that is registered with Amazon is current. They call u when they are a half hour away to make sure that there is somebody to sign for the item. Or, you could also have them just leave it in front of your garage. I ended up driving home from work. No problem because my office is only 8 miles away from home so i got home plenty of time before the truck got there. The driver was so nice he even placed the huge box in the place that i have set in the garage. Like you I am waiting for delivery information on this jointer so i am hoping the delivery will go as smooth as the last time.
                          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

ABF delivered a 300# Delta saw from Amazon in January. They used a liftgate and a pallet truck and took it straight into the garage, and were within their stated time range...perfect in my book. He even refused a tip. YMMV.
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Amazon shipped a 60lb Delta Air Cleaner to me via Eagle (EGL). I have no idea why the did not use UPS. It took weeks for the thing to get here. The customer service was unresponsive. I would prefer to never deal with that company again. I understand ABS to be a much better (and larger) freight system.

Comment

Working...