Whatever happened to granite-topped table saws?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Whatever happened to granite-topped table saws?

Remember a few years ago when granite-topped table were all the rage? Granite was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, and then they just disappeared. I got to thinking about this a couple of days ago …
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I can only write from my own experience from seeing them in the local Home Depot and commentary on a couple of the forums at the time.

Home Depot proved to be a disaster, mostly from mis-handling. From the two that I actually saw, one was chipped and had a crack along one side. Asking about that, I was told that they receive several with the tops damaged. Later talking to one of the 'orange aprons' (as I used to call them), the cartons were stacked on top of each other and the extreme weight resulted in a lot of scrap. I also seem to recall that there were a few mentions of this on the forums.

IIRC, the prices were significantly higher than many of the other saws at the time and being significantly heavy you definitely needed some assistance unloading them and getting them into you shop, especially if it was in the basement. I think their introduction and popularity was around 2005 - 2007, but honestly I don't know for sure; and if so, I had already purchased my BT3100. Either way, a granit-top wasn't within my price range and I wasn't particular impressed with what I saw, at least not in the Ridgid line. In my area about the only tool merchants were Sears, Home Depot and Lowes and you would have to travel some distance for anything else.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Did anyone other than Ridgid offer granite top table saws? Steel City? Craftsman?
      Reading through internet forum posts Steel City (now defunct) made them OEM for Ridgid and Craftsman.

forum at Woodworkingtalk.com discusses chipping as a problem and also magnetic attachments not working. And weight.
      And of course breaking. If the saw was dropped the granite would have a good chance of cracking (shipping damage was frequently mentioned) and then the saw would basically be totaled. Whereas a cast iron top is virtually indestructible.

But, it would not rust. Looks pretty sexy.

Ridgid R4511 Granite top 10" table saw

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	353.8 KB ID:	858275

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	858274

Steel City Granite top saw
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	94
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	858277
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-20-2024, 11:29 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Originally posted by gsmittle
        Remember a few years ago when granite-topped table were all the rage? Granite was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, and then they just disappeared. I got to thinking about this a couple of days ago …
        Did you buy one?

There in lies the answer.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by Black walnut

Did you buy one?

There in lies the answer.
          Oh, heck no. Couldn't afford any saw other than a BT3100 back then.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• GrumpyDad
            Established Member
            • Jul 2020
            • Midwest
            • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

My granite top saw was wonderful - but I wanted to use MagSwitch products. Sold it - went Sawstop PCS instead.
            Last edited by GrumpyDad; 04-02-2024, 11:07 PM.
            Harumpf!
            GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...