• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Documentary movie about woodworking, old fashioned craftsmanship and music

I rewatched a documentary tonight that I saw several years ago.
    it combines elements of woodworking, craftsmanship and music.

Its called Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 (2007)
    You can watch for free on the streaming site TubiTV.com or Tubi on your Roku or smart TV. Its also available on DVD from places like Amazon.
    It follows the one year journey of a Steinway & Sons 9 foot concert grand piano from spruce wood to a finished piano.
    And yes, its a gorgeous piece of wood furniture, lovingly handcrafted at the factory in NYC. Its also a handcrafted instrument and follows how concert pianists select their instrument.
    I enjoyed it very much,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	928.7 KB ID:	855738
    Product Description

The most thoroughly handcrafted instruments in the world, Steinway pianos are as unique and full of personality as the world-class musicians who play them. However, in this age of mass production, their makers are a dying breed: skilled cabinet-makers, gifted tuners, thorough hand-crafters.

Note by Note follows the creation of a Steinway concert grand, #L1037, from forest floor to concert hall. Each piano s journey is complex, spanning 12 months, 12,000 parts, 450 craftsmen, and countless hours of fine-tuned labor. Filmed in key Steinway locations the factory, Steinway s reserved Bank, and the rooms of private auditions Note by Note is a loving celebration not just of craftsmanship, but of a dying breed of person who is deeply connected to working by hand. In the end, this is an ode to the most unexpected of unsung heroes. It reminds us how extraordinary the dialogue can be between an artist and an instrument crafted out of human hands but borne of the materials of nature.
    ​​
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-11-2023, 02:46 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

On a hunch I searched and found this has been discussed before.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...steinway-l1037

Which is probably why I watched it in the first place.
    Since we can't bump old threads anymore, this is a new one.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed this the first time around. That is a thread worthy of bumping and I'll be watching this soon.
Working...