• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Canada's wildfire smoke

The smoke from the Canadian wildfires showed up this afternoon. Visibility is about a half mile around the house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.png
Views:	138
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	855305

the winds that often bring us cold weather dropped the smoke on us today.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I live in Binghamton, NY which is about mid-way, horizontally on NY's southern border with Pennysylvania. We got that near the end of last week, Wednesday or Thursday as I recall.

Like in your area the first day's visibility was about a half mile and the AQI was 172. The following day it was significantly worse at an AQI of 203. I live on a double-wide street, here on the west side and the house across the street was visible through a smokey fog. Looking out the upstairs window, looking North, I couldn't see the highway which is less than a half-mile north of the house.

We kept the wiindows closed and ran the central air, using a HEPA filter. By Sunday it was mostly gone from our area, having moved south.

Yesterday and today, we finally got some decent rain (after several weeks). I was just joking with my neighbor who declared that it was finally gone. "Yes," I told him, but it's probably now in all that water running down our street!

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

As quick as it rolled in yesterday, it left today. It still isn't great, but it isn't dark in the middle of the day, the other side of the valley is visible again, and it doesn't smell like a camp fire outside.
      Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Heavy smoke here again today. Even though it was windy, it doesn't blow the smoke away. Visibility is about a half mile this morning and it certainly didn't smell good. It just looked like a foggy day and when going out in the car, everyone has their lights on and the windows rolled up.

I think this is going to persist until the weekend when we're expecting some storms.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 06-29-2023, 11:29 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
          twistsol commented
          Editing a comment
          We're back in the thick of it again as well.
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Today, The Toledo OH area was in the 199-240 range. Even out in the country, it looked like morning fog covering the fields. Supposedly, the wind will change direction and pick up tomorrow and clear things up. News reports on TV today, stated the 500 fires in Canada will not be able to be controlled in the distant future, so keep the car on recirculate and dig out the Covid masks.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

The Smokies, just 10 miles from me, are not visible.
          it's not from the pollen or the rain.....

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I think I wrote it somewhere but I have to relate a story of my daughter in NY. Our daughter's daughter (our granddaughter) got married in Massachusetts between Boston and Cape Cod earlier this month at her grandmother-in-laws home overlook the bay. (beautiful wedding spot) So my daughter enjoyed driving up and so did LOML and I. I completed my "all 50 States" visit. My daughter was working on hers and completed all but Alaska, which she will finish next year. LOML lacks Wisconsin. Our middle daughter completed all 50 states 3 years ago.

IN my oldest daughters drive, after the wedding she drove twin sons to New York City for a Yankees ball game. They enjoyed it even though it was when the smoke originally was going through. The next day, they cancelled the ball game, so the twin boys (both 20 years old) were fortunate to see the game when they did. My daughter traveled all over Japan on their railway and mastered the subway in Tokyo. Well, she wanted to ride the New York subway. She and her twin boys did. On the train she got into a discussion with a New Yorker. He had a mask on as did many. He asked her why she wasn't wearing one, because of how heavy the smoke was. She said: "Oh, I thought this smog was how NYC always was!" LOML and I missed it (smoke) as we stayed just ahead of it as we went to Niagara. We were not aware of the smoke until the evening of the 2nd day and by then we were in Ohio.

BTW, Many many People in Japan wear masks during allergy season, cold and flu season, smog season and she was used to that although she rarely did.
            Last edited by leehljp; 06-28-2023, 09:18 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I overheard someone at lunch saying they heard on the news that the Canadian fires smoke is being reported in Spain?

Comment

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I heard the same story.

Here in my area (NY central southern tier) our AQI was 136 this afternoon, it was worse to the west. This morning it looked much worse with almost everything fogged out, visibility less than a mile. I heard tomorrow was going to be better, but the local weather guy said it could be worse.

All I know is that if you're out there without a mask, you're going to feel it in your throat within 15 minutes or so.

CWS

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                AQI hit 165 this afternoon. That's after they reported yesterday that it was going to end during the evening. Now they're telling us it will be this evening. Perhaps so, as we have rain and thunderstorms forecast early tomorrow morning and continueing through the day.

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                AQI hit 165 this afternoon. That's after they reported yesterday that it was going to end during the evening. Now they're telling us it will be this evening. Perhaps so, as we have rain and thunderstorms forecast early tomorrow morning and continueing through the day.
            Working...