• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A Very Frustrating Week...

Egads! I have spent the last week trying to make our home PC work faster than a snail on weed. OK, it's 14 years old and began as a W7 system since upgraded to W10. I spent $450 for it, so we probably got our money's worth out of it. Between a corrupted software update, bad FireFox code, and a disk drive that hangs if more than two processes try to use it at the same time, I finally have thrown in the towel and will just replace it with a new W11 tower. Then I'll get to spend a week migrating everything to the new system. I think I'll go down to the shop and stare at some hand tools.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

If you haven't purchased one yet, get an SSD drive. SSDs do cost more but it is like the difference between a Bosch top of the line jigsaw versus a HF one.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you looked at SSDs lately? They do cost more than spinning disk, but that is like saying Northern Tool costs more than Harbor Freight. They are both dirt cheap these days. Actually the Harbor Freight reference is less relevant as their low price point advantage is disappearing fast... An SSD might salvage that old computer, but at best you will get Win10 on it, which is going away fairly soon. Not a good investment in time. That is why instead of fixing my old win8 upgraded to win10 laptop last year I got a win11 laptop.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm impressed, 14 years for any computer ancient. +1 on the SSD. Not only are they fast, but dead silent as well.

Good luck with the transfer.
    Chr's

Comment

• d_meister
      Established Member
      • Feb 2009
      • La Conner, WA.
      • BT3000

I bought a refurb from a vendor on Walmart for my wife. Great specs and hardware. Then I bought another one from the same vendor through eBay for myself. Better specs and hardware Price points below $400 for gaming specs, and <$300 for performance workstation with monitor, keyboard, & mouse.
      There's an extended warranty that comes included with the eBay purchase above the warranty. Mine had a memory module failure during warranty, and it got handled OK. The usual canned response for starters (Format the hard drive and reinstall), but they actually read what I told them with a little persistence and sent out a memory stick. Fixed it.
      It's SJ Computers LLC.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Looking at a tower with W11 Home Edition, an i7 12700 12 core 4.9 ghz CPU, 16 GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, slots for two SATA HDDs, and 8 USB ports. I think that will last us for few years. Also adding a dual layer DVD/CD RW drive as most towers don't come with an optical drive now. Was looking back at the PCs we've had over the decades.
        1. Original IBM PC with 4 MB of memory, two diskette drives, and a color monitor.
        2. An IBM ThinkCenter tower running W95 and a 256 GB HDD.
        3. ASUS tower running W7 and upgraded to W10, with an i3 4 core, 3 ghz CPU, two 1 TB HDDs, DVD-RW drive,
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

My wife has a 13 year old MacBook Air with a 512gig SSD and has not upgraded the OS in 3 years. She HATES Change. I have tried to talk her into a new laptop but she won't have it - if it means a newer system. She has no problems with FB, Internet or email, and that is all she does. Have I mentioned that She HATES change. Her desktop has not changed in all these years. (well it did once when I changed things around after fixing a problem - needed a new internal battery 5 years ago - but then I had to UN Fix her desktop!) I learned to leave her computer alone after that!
          Hank Lee

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Well, Best Buy just made the week better. I was browsing around the internet looking for PC towers and they just dropped the price of the one that was my favorite by $200 and dropped the price of the dual layer DVD-RW drive I wanted too.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Patience pays off! If that would only work for me.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Dedpedal
                Established Member
                • Feb 2020
                • Palm Coast Florida
                • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I wish I had my old flip phone. I spent more time doing things instead of surfing the internet. As a plus it was virtually indestructible.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Jim Frye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have an older iPhone (8s), but I use Tracfone for carrier service. The plan I'm on has a monthly data limit that carries over so I don't use it much for surfing. It's a phone period.
              • leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Dedpedal
                I wish I had my old flip phone. I spent more time doing things instead of surfing the internet. As a plus it was virtually indestructible.
                I am not young enough to use even the large smart phones for surfing. The screen is too small. I have a iPhone 14 Max Pro and turn the email OFF except when I am away from my computer for more than 2 days. I do use it for surfing ONLY when I am in a store and need to look up the ISLE for locating an object. Otherwise the screens are too small for me to read more than a text or basic price or isle number.

As to email, I get too many docs and spreadsheets to open on a phone. I hate email on a phone and I personally hate surfing on a phone, so I do both of those on rare situations. I need to see the BIG picture and full context!
                Hank Lee

Comment

• twistsol
                  twistsol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have an iPhone 12 mini so it is as small and portable as possible since I mostly use it as just a phone, text rarely, and plug it into the truck for directions. Everything else is done on my 12.9" iPad or computer with a 31" monitor and even 95% of my texts are sent through the messages app on my iMac.
              • Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

New system is in and partially set up with a ton of Windows updates. Still waiting for an HDMI display cable and the dual layer DVD-RW drive to arrive. Then comes the transfer of all of the user applications and data from the old system and a bunch of customization.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Finally finished the migration from old to new. This one took a bit longer as I was afraid to mount the old C drive in the new tower for fear of contamination. Usually I put the old drive in the new machine and then just drag and drop things as needed. This time I set the old system up in my shop and copied stuff to a 1TB 2.5" USB drive and then let Norton and a few other diagnostic tools examine the drive before copying anything to the new SSD C drive. This thing is blindingly fast. Boot up takes 10 seconds to sign on after pressing the power button. FireFox used to take over five minutes to load on the old W10 machine and the same version takes less than 2 seconds on this one. The new system has an Intel i7 12700 processor with 12 cores and auto clocks at 2.1 to 4.9 Ghz. It also has 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD C drive. I think it will last us a decade or more (hopefully). Now to sit down, relax, and watch my almamater's womens basketball team play in the NCAA tournament.
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...