• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Copying A Pizza Flail...

Definitely NOT a woodworking project. I have an electric riding lawn mower and the underside of the deck can't be cleaned with a hose and water, so I scrape it out after mowing with an old spatula. Problem is you can't reach everything with it. Pic below is what I usually do after mowing. I was in the local Little Ceaser's Pizza shop and they have this really long pizza flail that is just the right length to reach the innereds of the deck. Being the proverbial cheapskate, I decided to copy it and do it with whatever STUFF I could find in the shop. We all have STUFF right? I have it all assembled, but there still needs to be some shaping and bolt cutting done to make it usable, plus some cure time for the glue I used. I'll post pics when it's done. It's weird, but I get a great deal of satisfaction making something useful from what should have normally been trash.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RM480e Cleanout 2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	854351
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Finished product. I'm not going to paint it just yet, even though there is a partial rattle can in the garage. The radius on the business end matches the curve of the deck underside as it's a pressed steel deck, not a fabbed one. Usage will gunk it up pretty good. Again, everything is odds and ends, no purchased items in this one.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7F2E7640-0A87-45F5-986A-FB0EACC6CE10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	854407
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 03-06-2023, 08:02 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have never had an electric, or any ride on mower for that matter. You would think the electronics would be sealed sufficiently to resist weather as it is an outdoor tool...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Originally posted by dbhost
        I have never had an electric, or any ride on mower for that matter. You would think the electronics would be sealed sufficiently to resist weather as it is an outdoor tool...
        What would ever make you think that industry would produce a lawnmower that would last as long as the payments? All of their electronics meet standards, someone’s standards, but nothing that would help the end consumer!

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Well, the various electronic modules are sealed and up under the covers, but the deck motors are not sealed against water under pressure. If you notice in the first picture, there is a scrub brush and a bucket of water sitting next to the ramp. I can scrub the deck with soap and water and even turn the deck over for the season end cleanout and release coating. After 55 months of ownership, I've found the lack of being able to hose the deck out is made up for by the fact the mower is fifteen times cheaper to run than a comparable ICE mower. SWMBO insisted I get a rider as my knees had gotten to the point I could barely mow the lawn with a self propelled walk behind even wearing knee stabilizers.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl

What would ever make you think that industry would produce a lawnmower that would last as long as the payments? All of their electronics meet standards, someone’s standards, but nothing that would help the end consumer!
            This one at least outlasted the 3 yr. warranty, and in another year of mowing, it will have saved enough in gas to pay for new batteries and it hasn't required any maintenance other than cleaning. I do put freshly sharpened blades on it when I put it up for the winter.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Under “normal” conditions any lawnmower will last until the deck wears out. Normal conditions do not constitute washing and waxing, or mowing in the rain. Most people don’t change the blade until it wears out and stops cutting. They store the mower in the little shed in the back yard and change the oil every couple of years. I can’t imagine these owners of electric mowers actually checking and topping the batteries. Most people don’t avoid stumps, corners of the driveway and curbs, sticks and limbs, thus the deck wears out first.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The batteries in this one are Sealed Led Acid/Absorbent Glass Mat and the only maintenance is to keep them plugged into the smart charger when not in use. It's basically a golf cart with brushless motors. The battery manufacturer states they should be good for 1,500-1,700 charge cycles and would cost $720 to replace right now. So far it has saved over $517 in gas compared to my neighbor's ICE mowers.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth. I have a lawn service, my wife insisted and I just never stopped it, AND I have a mower, weed eater, edger etc... Kind of seems stupid. I need to either cancel my service, or service my equipment and sell it...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

For what it's worth. I have a lawn service, my wife insisted and I just never stopped it, AND I have a mower, weed eater, edger etc... Kind of seems stupid. I need to either cancel my service, or service my equipment and sell it...
                    It's probably strange, but I enjoy yard work. At least I can still do it. The electric rider actually became a secondary hobby monitoring performance and cost. Sick isn't it?
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                      Jim Frye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If your neighbor's 0turn mower has two steering bars, It's got the same type batteries as mine. If it's a 54" deck, it's a fabricated one and should hold up better than the stamped steel ones the smaller units have.

• capncarl
                      capncarl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My neighbor that has the Ryobi battery zero turn (my next door neighbor) purchased his 85 year old father ( my across the street neighbor) a new model Ryobi battery zero turn for this mowing season. It’s the one with Lithium batteries and slots for 2 40 volt batteries, and the left hand side joy stick controller. Now that was a hoot watching an 85 year old man that has probably never used a computer joy stick trying to operate a lawn mower with one! I tried to operate it, it was unnerving to say the least.

• Jim Frye
                      Jim Frye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, the joystick models do have a learning curve. I've seen videos of experienced users and it looks like it works. I'm waiting to see how the lithium batteries hold up. The 80 volt ones are $899 each and the 12 ahr. 40 volt ones are $399 each. Based on my data for my mower, it would take 6-7 years to save enough over an ICE mower to pay for one of the 80 volt packs.
                  • Samnins
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2023

Definitely NOT a woodworking project, but a stroke of resourceful brilliance! Using the long pizza flail from the local Little Ceaser's Pizza shop to reach the golf areas of your electric riding lawn mower's deck is ingenious. Who would have thought that golf and pizza could come together to solve a lawn maintenance problem? Kudos to your creativity and the satisfaction that comes from repurposing items that would otherwise be discarded. Can't wait to see the pics when it's all shaped and ready to go!

Comment

Working...