• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have to go back to work tomorrow

I didn't win the powerball lottery for 1.2 billion.

The best I did was two numbers.

I guess I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Oh, wait, I'm retired. I don't have to go back to work, after all.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

You lucky dog.

I keep forgetting to buy tickets. I was going to
    ​​​​​ buy some the other night after buying gas, but the pump didn't have regular so I went to Costco.

Looks like many more days of work for me.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I had a winning ticket for PowerBall on Monday, but I don't think I'll be retiring on that $4.00 anytime soon.

Instead I was up at 2:30 am to reconcile an accounts payable extract to load into the new system. Handed it back to India at 6:00 PM and they should have the load finished in the next hour or so so I can reconcile that. I hate the crazy hours during cutover, but love the paychecks that follow.

With 1.2 billion though, I'd get a nicer truck to tote my tools to the kids houses.
      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

That's OK, buying a lottery ticket you are really just pissing in the wind. I did it for a few minutes of excitement when the numbers came out.

I mean the odds are 1 in 292 million. The odds for A commercial aviation fatal accident on your next flight say on an Airbus A320 series is .1/ million flights so 1 in 10 million, typcial for most commercial airliners so you odds of getting killed on any given flight is about 1 in 10 million
        So if you think you will get picked for long odds, you are 30 times more likely to get killed on your next airplane flight than to win the next lottery.

OTOH, someone's got to win eventually...and your chance is as good as anyone else's.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• nicer20
          Established Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Dublin, CA
          • BT3100

LOL for the math about getting killed vs. winning a lottery ticket

BTW with odds stacked like that, whenever I buy lottery ticket, I buy only one. My take is if I am going to be lucky all it will take is 1 ticket. I have seen people buying sometimes $50 or $100 worth especially when jackpot gets bigger. My feeling is it doesn't improve your odds of getting rich, but that habit will definitely increase your odds of getting poorer. Maybe I am wrong.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20
            LOL for the math about getting killed vs. winning a lottery ticket

BTW with odds stacked like that, whenever I buy lottery ticket, I buy only one. My take is if I am going to be lucky all it will take is 1 ticket. I have seen people buying sometimes $50 or $100 worth especially when jackpot gets bigger. My feeling is it doesn't improve your odds of getting rich, but that habit will definitely increase your odds of getting poorer. Maybe I am wrong.
            right on all counts.

50 times what is essentially zero is still very close to zero.

If your odds are 1 in 292 million then 50 tickets improves it to 1 in about 6 million... roughly the same as getting killed on the next jet airline flight I mentioned.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-04-2022, 12:24 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Hee Hee When someone apologizes to me for taking time to wait or service me, my response is usually "It's alright, I don't punch a time clock anymore". The usual response is "You lucky dog". I quit buying lottery tickets when I retired.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...