• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

When My Super Glue isn't Super Glue

IF I were making a pen, I would use "CA" instead of "Super Glue".

Anyway. I am doing a small project with some wood for my grandsons and went to get my CA. I had a pack of 4 or 5 small unopened tubes of Gorilla glue and 3 tubes of unopened HF brand super glue. both said Gel but I really wanted thin, however I didn't have any non-gel thin.

I decided to use the Gorilla gel. I applied it on several parts and let it set for about 10 minutes, then noticed the familiar whiteness when it is highly humid and in the upper 60"s (CA occasionally does that under certain conditions). No big deal as the glue spots are hidden. Then about 30 minutes later, I noticed it had expanded!

I double checked the Gorilla Gel glue package and it said "Original Gorilla Glue Gel". I was using the polyurethane glue!

It worked fine but I won't be using it on the rest of the project. I am so used to seeing the small tube multi-pack in CA, that I didn't realize that I had bought Polyurethane Gorilla Glue.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-29-2021, 02:14 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Inside my head right now is Larry The Cable Guy saying.... "that's funny right there I don't care who you are...."
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I cut it off twice and it's still too short!
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Gorilla Glue was once synonymous with PU glue, their product that launched them into popularity, but then they expanded their lines of formulations still labeling in big marketing-friendly words "Gorilla Glue"

So yeah, there is confusion.

On another note, I have had problems with shelf life of gorilla PU glue unopened stored inside the airconditioned house That stuffs not cheap! The whole bottle solidified.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Gorilla Glue was once synonymous with PU glue, their product that launched them into popularity, but then they expanded their lines of formulations still labeling in big marketing-friendly words "Gorilla Glue"

So yeah, there is confusion.

On another note, I have had problems with shelf life of gorilla PU glue unopened stored inside the airconditioned house That stuffs not cheap! The whole bottle solidified.
          That is exactly why I stopped using it...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...