• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Something New To Watch For

Rattlers, coral snakes, the occasional moccasin, several varieties of spiders and a pack of coyotes I guess aren't enough to worry about. A few minutes ago I saw our kittens playing with something. Both are starting to catch and eat bugs so I didn't think much of it until I got close and looked down. They were slapping at about a 5" long centipede. I haven't seen one of those things since we transferred out of the Mojave Dessert in '85. They were common in Japan and I hoped never to see one again.

My son tried to stomp on it but with the give of the carpet that didn't even bother it. I picked it up with a paper towel and took it outside where I dispatched it with extreme prejudice on the concrete ramp with a hammer. I found in Japan that was one of the 2 most effective methods of extermination. The other was to pour lighter fluid on them and turn them into crispy critters!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

We saw a few when we were over there, and about that long too!

They had some strange videos of which certain animals or insects were paired together to see who would win in a fight. They put a good sized centipede into an aquarium with a good sized and larger crawfish. It seemed for a minute or two the crawfish would win but the centipede did his work by stinging in the joints and eventually paralyzed the crawfish.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I haven’t seen any that size in our neck of the woods, only 1” long ones. I’m not sure if they are venomous. At least they are not very fast.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Scorpions are my one true desert hate and fear. Everything else seems pretty easy to deal with, and less...sneaky I guess. I do have a scar from a rattlesnake hit, but that was 100% my fault (jumped into the crotch of a tree while playing paintball).

Today is my quarterly day to lay down a bunch of Suspend Polyzone and diatomaceous earth, to kill all the critters. It's freakin' hot out and I'm putting it off.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Could a clamp of some kind fit around the wheel shaft? I don't have a BT any more so I can't look. I've had great success with hose clamps to repair things like this, particularly the crimp-on type and not the screw-driven type.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Carlos
            Could a clamp of some kind fit around the wheel shaft? I don't have a BT any more so I can't look. I've had great success with hose clamps to repair things like this, particularly the crimp-on type and not the screw-driven type.
            Posted in the wrong thread?
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Oops, definitely. Snakes here won't sit still long enough to put a hose clamp on them.

Comment

Working...