What kind of woodworker pays $18.50 for $3 worth of plywood???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I suddenly started getting Lee Valley spam (that's it's own other problem and subject). The very first one told me how today I can get THREE of these stupid clamp holders, which is just a piece of cut ply, for the price of two. Which is still many times what they are worth.

I mean, I like buying pre-made stuff that is clearly better than what I have the tools to make. But flat ply in simple shapes? Anyone who buys this doesn't actually need it, because they're not building anything more complicated than a square coaster.
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

You're paying for the engineering, not the material.

At the same time, don't think I'd pay for this particular example.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I'm sure the engineering got that student an A...in third grade engineering class.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I'm not sure anyone that would buy that product (something you could make from scraps) should be classified as a "woodworker". I notice that this product is not available, but you can check their stores for them. Quite honestly, if I see something in a catalog that looks useful, my first inclination is to figure out how to make it myself. Making your own jigs and fixtures is just good practice for improving your skills. Heck, even my shop built jigs and fixtures are fully finished, mostly to use up left over finishes rather than toss them. This clamp storage is made entirely from scraps.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Clamp Storage Cart 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	837821Click image for larger version  Name:	Clamp Storage Cart 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	837820
        Last edited by Jim Frye; 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

To be fair, I have purchased things I technically could build, but not as well. The vac hose reel from Fastcap comes to mind. Sourcing the various parts I can't make is going to take some time and cash, the fact that it's precisely laser cut is a plus, etc etc. That was worth it. A wedge for a clamp or a nice cart like you have has no value to being premade.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I also received that advertisement this morning. I wouldn't call it spam, but I do agree with you on the question of who buys such simple projects?

One of the regular mailings I get is from Woodpeckers... stuff often costs hundreds and so much of it is simply silly in my opinion. Many of their products are so simple its funny, and yet they ask tremendous amount of money. Yes, I know, it's pretty, red-anodized aluminum body, etc. but gee whiz the task they are designed for are very often simple, and can be built from a few scraps and only minutes in time. Like so many things in life, I think there is bit of snobbery with some purchasers.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Ahh snobbery. Back in the early '90s, My Brother-In-Law and I got into woodworking seriously. I'm talking dedicated shop and lots of tools. His mindset was nothing but PowerMatic stationary tools,Porter Cable hand tools, and anything else that was high dollar. I went benchtop and mostly Ryobi powered tools with a bunch of Craftsman hand me downs from my Father-In-Law. The PM and PC filled shop hasn't produced any projects in the last decade or so. Now he has tens of thousands of dollars worth of high end tools rusting away in his basement. He would probably have bought the Lee Valley clamp racks, if he were still doing woodworking. My 1993 BT3000 is still producing wonderful cuts.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've tended towards the opposite myself. Build it or buy it cheap, then upgrade as desired. In most cases I did alright cost-wise on that. Many of my tool purchases were Craig's list items for a steal, and then sold for good money to steal something else.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Yes Sir Mr. Frye, I retired in 2003 and remember well you and the Ryobi forum on which you were so prominent. You and the other members there were the main reason I bought my BT3100-1, and I still love that table saw. It has worked exceptionally well for me, as has most all of my Ryobi tools!

I grew up relatively poor, with parents and grandparents that had suffered through war and depression. My Dad taught me to take care of my stuff, to learn to respect my tools and how to build things that weren't affordable otherwise. It's a nice value to have, to be able to look at something and know you can build it. While I am by no means exceptionally skilled as many of you are, I'm willing to make the effort when I can.

When I started my career as an illustrator, I worked with a number of artists that would believe that unless you could afford the finest brushes, the best-grade paints, etc., you could never be "good". Then one weekend I attended an art show in which the most beautiful paintings there were done by a young lady who used twisted paper towels instead of brushes. Absolutely stunning work! Her elderly mother was there and we had a nice conversation, in which she explained that when her daughter started painting, they couldn't afford brushes, but her ambition and ingenuity was such that it didn't stop her!

So it is with tools I believe. While a great (and expensive) tool might make things better, it doesn't necessarily have to be so.

A couple of old sayings I like are: "An archer is known by his aim, not the color of his arrow!" and a more recent phrase, "Owning a Steinway does not make you a concert pianist".

CWS

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sometimes it is nice to be able to whip out your card and have something delivered ready to go and nicely finished and engineered.
                    Other times I enjoy the challenge of recreating the tool or jig in a simple or better way out of scrap wood and saving $100.

For example: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...outer-bit-vise
                    skip the guessing game and go to post #16 to see the picture and the original inspiration.
                    or see below:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=785760.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	837842
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=837077&d=1564038312.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	837843

I enjoyed the design and I did go through three versions it got more compact and a little simpler each rev.

To each their own.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-14-2019, 11:23 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Exactly what I mean!

I love it when I can look at something and say to myself, "I can do that". Sometimes it's a quickie, but often it's just the challengeand maybe a few modifications to get it just right.

Thanks for the post,

CWS

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I'm gonna go build a glue caddy. Should I see if Lee Valley sells one for $100 plus shipping?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
                          Exactly what I mean!

I love it when I can look at something and say to myself, "I can do that". Sometimes it's a quickie, but often it's just the challengeand maybe a few modifications to get it just right.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
                          Sometimes you make improvements! At least they seem that way and are important to you. That's the other aspect - its customized to your quirks.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
                            I'm gonna go build a glue caddy. Should I see if Lee Valley sells one for $100 plus shipping?
                            Check woodpeckers, for an anodized one in red with laser engraving.Probably $150 and you have to wait 2 months for the one-time order (exclusivity!).
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Carlos
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

LOL! And true. I have a number of beautiful red tools, but they do ship on their own schedule, and they are crazy expensive. Service is great though. When my DP table kit arrived warped by about 1/64th across the surface, they replaced it quickly with only a photo sent to show the problem. Using one of their own rules, so they couldn't question it...

Comment

Working...