• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Advice for a friend recently out of college

A friend of mine got a degree in Egyptian architecture and history over three years ago. As you might imagine with something that obscure, he has never been able to get a job. Heck, he may not even get interviews, not sure. The school basically has the expected "not our problem" attitude. He's falling behind on school loan payments, and the only thing the school has done is to tell him that if he goes back to get a PHD in his field, then the loan payments go on hold while he's back in school and for a while after. They also said if he refers any new students he gets some kind of stipend . I’m worried. Sounds like he might be getting into a pyramid scheme to me.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
    A friend of mine got a degree in Egyptian architecture and history over three years ago. As you might imagine with something that obscure, he has never been able to get a job. Heck, he may not even get interviews, not sure. The school basically has the expected "not our problem" attitude. He's falling behind on school loan payments, and the only thing the school has done is to tell him that if he goes back to get a PHD in his field, then the loan payments go on hold while he's back in school and for a while after. They also said if he refers any new students he gets some kind of stipend . I’m worried. Sounds like he might be getting into a pyramid scheme to me.
    It seems like he should have got some advice before going to college instead of afterwards.
    Egyptian architecture. I'm sure that's someone everyone needs, esp. in the US. I wonder what his thinking was when he chose his major? Or was his education completely separated from any thoughts of a career?
    I mean, I feel sorry for him, but at the same time you want to smack him and say what were you thinking?

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-19-2019, 04:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carlos
      Sounds like he might be getting into a pyramid scheme to me.
      I'm pharaohly certain this is a joke.

What kind music do mummies listen to? Wrap

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oh. In that case, never mind.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

LOL, nobody suggested that he move back home and live with his mummy?

Egyptian architecture
          pyramid scheme

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Sounded like a pyramid sort of game to me.

But, then again, over the years I've run into some pretty educated people who had degrees that I thought were odd, considering what they were doing. Like we had a clerk/typist who had a BA in Greek Philosophy and one of our lab techs had a BA in "Fine Arts"... which might be okay, except in some labs, but this was a compressor mfg, research lab.

I've got a friend who's son graduated this past spring with a BA in Fine Arts Photography.... he's been looking for a job since, and has yet found nothing. Last I heard he was in Europe hoping for a museum job.

CWS
            Last edited by cwsmith; 11-20-2019, 07:50 PM.
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Jobs like that are hard to come by any more. They're ancient history.

Comment

Working...