X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I had no idea there was an undo button there. Now I'll have to look for it on my iPad. I've never accidentally switched keyboards, and rarely even switch at all since you can use the swipe-down for numbers.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

When I get my big ole long calloused fingers rolling on the iPads poor excuse for a keyboard there is no telling what is going to be typed! I’ve noticed recently that several applications come up and when you call up the keyboard it covers the little dinky spot where you are suppose to type. Cool. Off topic... sorry

Comment

• Injuneer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2019
        • Triangle area, NC
        • Ryobi BT3000

I've never understood the bitterness that is returned to people simply trying to inform someone of an error. Personally, I am quite thankful if someone points out to me that I'm doing something incorrectly, and I am glad to learn a lesson from that error. It seems that so many up-and-coming "adults" nowadays simply cannot abide being taught that they may be wrong about something. I can't imagine what kind of a state the world we will be in 50 years from now due to this. "You can't judge me!" is often the reply. Umm... yes, sweetheart, I can not only judge you, but I can voice my opinion of it. That's what we are afforded to do in a free country. Thanks for your opinion too, but the bottom line is that my opinion has facts that support it and your opinion has nothing but emotion. And please don't forget that just because my facts show that your opinion is wrong, it doesn't mean I hate you, disrespect you, or that I set out to dishonor you somehow.
        Whenever this happens, I usually give them the story of two employment applications and corresponding résumés which I was reviewing. Both candidates had the qualifications we needed. Both candidates interviewed well. One had more experience than the other. The job went to the one with less experience because of grammatical errors in the résumé of the one with more experience. The guy didn't know the difference between to, too, and two. He wrote, "angel" instead of "angle". All of these surely slipped right through his spellcheck program without a single issue. Even though the position did not require excellent grammar skills, it did require excellent attention to detail. The résumé made it very clear that he lacked that attention to detail our company looks for.
        I can only imagine how threatening the guy might have been had he inquired as to why he didn't get the job if I told him the reason he didn't make the cut was because of his poor grammar.
        So yes, Sheila, grammar DOES matter, and there will always be people who are paying attention. Sometimes you might not even know it. I'm sure the grammar slacker who didn't get the job went on to find a job somewhere else. Good for him. Maybe he didn't, and ended up flipping burgers. Bad for him. What I do know is that the guy that got the job has moved on to greener pastures - he's a regional manager at the company he left us to work for and is making tons more money than I'm capable of
        Edit: Yes, I know of my crappy grammar in that last sentence
        Last edited by Injuneer; 04-24-2019, 11:43 AM. Reason: identifying errors! hehe

Comment

• tjoosk
          Banned
          • Aug 2019

We had a discussion of this (the need for accuracy in spelling) a couple of weeks ago on the pen turning forum. It seems like those that can't spell or don't care, don't value the necessity of correct spelling (and among some highly educated people) - they seemed to be the most vocal. A strange thing happened the evening of that post: I went to an "Civilian Response to Active Shooting Event (CRASE) put on by HomeLand Security. One of the illustrations used concerned an event that many of you would remember some years ago. A man was having some metal problems and called 911 and asked for help as he said he wanted to kill people. Please help me. The 911 person misspelled the name by 2 letters and transposed the phone number. Police could not find him as they were looking for the wrong person. 2 days later he killed several people in a restaurant. 2 letters changed in a name and transposed phone numbers and several people died.

Comment

Working...