• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Help Identifying An Old Craftsman...

This one is for the old timers who frequented the former Ryobi Tool Forum, or maybe BT3Central Forum. There was a furniture craftsman/artisan from Australia that created beautiful furniture using native Australian woods with butterfly joinery. I can't recall his name and have lost his website from my files. I was wondering if he still existed and still had a web site.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Not Dave in Cairns?
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Black walnut
      Not Dave in Cairns?
      That be him. Looking for a website. If one still exists.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

He used to have a site called Australian Wood art but appears to be down. Try searching Google for Dave Cairns Australian wood art and see what comes up. Australian Wood Art Gallery of projects from Dave in Cairns
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Haha when I read the thread title I honestly thought we were going to be finding information on an old Sears product lol.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I printed out a picture of his table and chairs way back when. Last year I found that picture - but don't know where the pict is now. It was on plain paper and done from an inkjet. It looked very faded but I could still see the design.

A note on his table and chairs, for those that remember it: He made a post saying he had finished it and it was in the "air" at that moment - being air lifted to Colorado. For who ever paid enough to air lift a table and chairs from Australia to Colorado - that says a LOT about how much that table and chair were sold for, or how much it was worth!

There were a couple of important things that I learned from him:
            1. I asked about routing aluminum with carbide router bits. There were a couple of initial responses that it was a no-no. He came on and said that is how they shaped the edges in aluminum boat building. Did it all the time. I have routed aluminum dozens of times since.

2. In a discussion on finishes, he said how water proof pure tung oil was. He said he put a towel in a bowl of tung oil until it was saturated. Then he hung it over a line out in the sun for a week or two to cure. Then he put it in a pan of water. Nothing happened. He also said, you cannot do that to virtually any other finish. Any other finish will break down in water over time.
            Last edited by leehljp; 02-01-2019, 11:21 AM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...