• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Not pleased with HF

I stopped by nearby HF to pick up clamps and digital caliper. The bar clamps will work 18”). The caliper is very unsatisfactory.

Although the tool was in a sealed (shrink wrapped) box, It was missing a battery, missing the screw that’s holds in the thumb screw (was about to fall apart). One of the calipers looked like it was etched with a sorry excuse for initials.

All this in a sealed box!!!!!

• woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude

All this in a sealed box!!!!!

Probably a return that was not fully checked before being re-shrink wrapped. Unfortunately most stores have shrink wrap machines and repackage returns.

--------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I agree with what Woodturner said.

The calipers are one of the few things that I get excess of - when they are on sale for less than 10.
      this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...ngs-63731.html

I think I have 4. I usually use three to check and see which ones are dead on with each other. I have one that is off by about .006 or so - getting close to .01.

For me, I live 35 miles from HF and I would be very irritated to get home and find that. I have ranted in my closest store on a couple of occasions, but mostly over pricing differences.
      Last edited by leehljp; 10-01-2018, 06:31 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I don't understand why a store would have it's own shrink wrapping, that just seems a bit fraudulent to me and I certainly wouldn't expect it in an HF store. However, it is what it is I guess. I have encountered a bit of thievery/pilfering at my local HF, but honestly I'm trying to remember if I've ever encountered any tool that was shrink wrapped.. except for boxes of hardware fasteners. Most tools like calipers are in some kind of cardboard slip wrap and the calipers themselves are in a plastic box (my 6" Pittsburgh calipers are in a black plastic case).

Whatever the case, or the tool, HF is easy to return things to and I've never had them refuse to refund anything. HF does have some junk for sure, but overall I'm quite happy with my local store.

When it comes to calipers, I still have and use my old stainless verniers I bought back in 1964 when I used to be an inspector at a local plant.... just have to wear my "close-up" glasses to read them though.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I used to manage two computer stores, and both had shrink wrap machines. There were just too many returns as "I don't want it/too stupid to make it work" and we would totally inspect the product then put it back on the shelf. Nothing fraudulent about it. In fact, our process made sure you were getting a tested part, at a time when untested parts were about 10% dead.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania

Technically it is illegal in many states to sell a return as "new", but it seems that all stores do it. All of the major discount and department stores do, I'm not aware of any store that does not. Even car dealers do it now, claiming a car with hundreds of miles on it that has not been titled to a retail customer is "new".

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I realize that this kind of thing goes on, but still find it a bit unethical. When I buy something "New", that is exactly what I expect it to be and if I see or find that it isn't, then I return it immediately. I pretty good at spotting "use". If a product is used, open-boxed, or returned, then I expect to see it discounted. Personally, I avoid those kinds of product sales.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

When is it "used?" What if a guy just opened the top and looked into the box? Pulled out one piece? Pulled it all out and put it back? Plugged it in?

Comment

• cwsmith
                  cwsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perhaps that is true, that someone bought it, "opened the top and looked into the box"... but then again, it could have been taken out, tried out, maybe even run for a couple of days or whatever and then when the guy finished what he needed it for, he brought it back and if so that would definitely make it "used"! So, how would you know the difference? It could even be broken or missing a part and perhaps the store didn't check it thoroughly? Is all the paperwork there, warranty registration, etc.

Chances that a guy just bought it and changed his mind is probably much less than he bought it and tried it and whatever. But to each his own, you buy what you want and I'll do the same. But here in NY, I'm pretty sure that if it's left the store, it's no longer NIB and it shouldn't be put back on the shelf as a brand new product. Even when it comes to cars, a "new" car is expected to have no more than a few miles on it. If it's got close to a hundred, then it's at best a "demonstrator" and is discounted as such, and anything over that is considered "used". When I buy a "new" product and open the package, I expect no fingerprints, no crumpled paperwork or overly wrinkled wrap, broken seals etc.; anything less than that is used or returned and is subject to discount or refusal.
              • Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I agree that any visible usage is used. I was just asking when it becomes used if there are no signs of use. I don't really have an opinion on it, just exploring the concept.

Best Buy is one store with the philosophy that if the seal has been broken, it is sold as open-box. Oh, Amazon also. Love their warehouse deals! "Package may be damaged, item is perfect, 30% off!"

Comment

• cwsmith
                  cwsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understand, and I realize that I'm probably a bit more sensitive to such purchases as I've had some concerning experiences; like the pine colonial table we once bought at the most exclusive store in Corning (since out of business). It was a great brand and when it was delivered it looked pretty nice. Heavy round pedestal table and it looks almost too good as it was more shiny than the one we saw on the showroom floor. (That shininess was a fresh coat of polish.) When we slid open the table it was full of crumbs and could see where coffee had dripped through the crevice; the store gave us a tough time about having to order a new table from the factory; then there was the washing machine that arrived with ice in the bottom... cleaning that out, we discovered lint and a piece of rag under the wringer!

Then there was that Atari 800 we bought for our son in the late 70's. After 15 minutes it locked up and I returned it for exchange, the second one arrived with dog-eared manuals, coffee stains on some of the pages, and dust inside the cartridge housing. Third one arrived with damaged connector and a piece of candy laying in one of the memory slots. To say the least I raised a bit of a fuss. It took them four trys and more than six months and a personal letter to the CEO before we finally got a "brand new" unit.

Before that there was my brand new 76' Mercury Monarch with 96 miles on it ("Oh, that was from moving it around the parking lot")... Yeah, right! But what about the oily rag I found under the front seat, or the dinged tire rim on the right front, or that cut in the lower uphostered driver's door panel? Yeah, not paying top price for any of that and I waited for a new car to be delivered three weeks later.

That's probably the most drastic stuff we've run into, but I approach most local purchases with anxiety. Now with Harbor Freight and Amazon, I can honestly say I've never had a serious problem with them.

CWS
              • LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
                When is it "used?" What if a guy just opened the top and looked into the box? Pulled out one piece? Pulled it all out and put it back? Plugged it in?
                Sometimes I buy something, pull out the manual (to answer the questions the sales guy could not answer) and decide the unit won't do what I want it to. I put the instructions back and tape up the box and return it.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've had employees in two stores complain when I opened a package right in the store before buying. Ok, do you want me to buy it, go outside, open it, and return it when I see that it won't work for me?

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cwsmith
                    I realize that this kind of thing goes on, but still find it a bit unethical. When I buy something "New", that is exactly what I expect it to be and if I see or find that it isn't, then I return it immediately. I pretty good at spotting "use". If a product is used, open-boxed, or returned, then I expect to see it discounted. Personally, I avoid those kinds of product sales.

CWS
                    I too would rather get a new product when I buy "new". Electronics stores are especially problematic and notorious for this - Walmart, Best Buy, New Egg, Circuit City, and likely all the rest repackage returns. Best Buy got called out a while back for training people to repackage cords and accessories to look "factory". I remember they used to have an "open box" section, but have not seen much there for a while, they repackage everything they can according to one of the local store managers.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

HF has a big sale next week. I’ll go by then and complain.

I’ll still buy things there (f clamps up to 24”). I’ll just be a little more picky.

Comment

Working...