• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Where two rivers meet

There is an old legend that a tornado never strikes where two rivers meet. That was proven to be false on Thursday evening at 7:04 when a tornado tore through our town. A number of businesses and homes were destroyed, many trees are down, and much of the town still has no power. Fortunately nobody was hurt or killed. The storm brought 10 inches of rain after two weeks of continuous rains so flooding is now slowing down the recovery work.

I'm up north in Duluth for my my daughter's wedding and got a call Friday morning from a neighbor that our house is in good shape but we'll have a lot of chainsaw work when we get back. Neighbors also cleared the trees from our driveway so we could get to the house when we return.
    Chr's
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I saw the weather listing MN as having tornado weather. Glad your house is OK even though some trees are gone.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dangre
      Norum Fewbie
      • Oct 2009
      • Gardnerville, NV
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by twistsol
      There is an old legend that a tornado never strikes where two rivers meet.
      It's negated by having a tornado magnet, I mean mobile home park, in the vicinity. It's great you have good neighbors keeping an eye on things, though.
      Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

We had a tornado cut a mile wide path through our community 2 yrs ago. My old neighbor was in the path. A very large pine tree cut our old flood house in half, down to the foundation. It’s a good thing the owners were not home because the bathroom that safest room in the house was crushed flat. Not much chance of surviving that. If we hadn’t been flooded out and sold out 10 years earlier it could have been us!
        A bad thing about coming back to a home that the power has probably been off for a while is having to clean out and throw all of your food away in the frig and freezer. It beats coming back to anmissing roof, or having to tear out all the sheet rock and throw away the furniture.
        Good luck.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

We're home now, power was out until sometime on Saturday, we took 6 pickup loads and two 16 foot trailer loads of downed branches to the compost site on Monday. The only building damage is where a branch hit the gutter on the back of the shop and we lost all the food in the refigerator. We lost at least three of the smaller black walnut trees and I may need to take down a couple of others.

Internet access will be restored sometime in mid October so I'm working of my backup satellite connection once they got that realigned.

All in all much better than it could have been.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2440.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	834944

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	834945

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	834946

Name:	IMG_2442.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	834947
          Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Glad things are relatively safe/ok at your property. Will you be able to save any of that downed wood for project use?

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

My condolences on the weather ----- but a sigh of relief that you're okay.

Storm hit me earlier this year. I lost a bunch of skinny trees that were okay firewood ------ but the oak ----- didn't budge an inch.
              I'm like "drat ------ I could have used some oak."

Never buy cheap chainsaws ---- don't ask me how I know.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by tfischer
                Glad things are relatively safe/ok at your property. Will you be able to save any of that downed wood for project use?
                Nothing that came down so far is beg enough to use. There are two trees I don't expect to survive, both black walnuts, on is 20" diameter at the base and the other is 30". I should get some goo lumber from both of those but both of them are in areas where I can't take them down without doing damage to the house and all the tree services are a bit busy at the moment.
                Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by durango dude
                  Never buy cheap chainsaws ---- don't ask me how I know.
                  You're preaching to the choir. When I bought my Stihl farm boss I'd already burned up two Poulan and a McCulloch chainsaw in 6 years. I think the Stihl is about 10 years old now and has never never failed me.
                  Chr's

Comment

Working...