• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Hurricane Florence

Prayers for all the people who will be affected by this storm. It's a large strong Hurricane surely will affect millions of people in multiple states. Hopefully the evacuation goes smoothly, can't imagine the gridlock they will have on the highways.

Also prayers for the people on the West Coast with all the wild fires they're having.

Hawaii Island got lucky with Hurricane Olivia, it got down graded to a Tropical storm but still with winds of 50+ miles. It'll miss my island but headed straight to Maui, Lani & Molokai today. The're getting a lot of rain, flooding.

A lot of people got shafted by their Home Owners & Hurricane insurance policy, they couldn't get coverage b/c it doesn't cover flooding caused by a Tropical Storm. Hurricane coverage is for wind only damages of 70+ miles or cat 1 hurricane or higher. Home owner coverage does not cover flooding due to a storm which should be covered by Flood insurance.

Some people who lost their homes from the Lava couldn't get their Home Owners Insurance to cover the lost b/c no one saw if the home ignited b4 the lava touched it. They couldn't see it b/c they were evacuated, so the Insurance companies are saying the lava caused the fire and they needed a Lava Coverage rider. Who you gonna trust the insurance companies are just kicking people when their down, shame on them..
    Everyone needs to read & understand what kind of coverage your Insurance policy provides, but the policy is so hard to understand. Gotta ask the right questions and get the answers in writing from your insurance agent/company. Sooo sad for all the people who got shafted.

• Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Eh, if you live in places with flooding and lava and don't get coverage for it...??? Why would be my only question.

It's like when I found out my Jeep's mods were not covered when it was totalled. My fault.

Comment

• jabe
      • Apr 2006
      • Hilo, Hawaii
      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

People who were not covered by flooding did not live in a flood zone. It was a 1 in 100 yr. storm flood that wiped them out. They were not required to buy Flood Insurance. The ones that got wiped out by Lava well I agree with you but you still got to have some compassion for them. I myself was not affected by the Lava, I don't live near the volcano but, I live in a flood zone so I have Flood Insurance. I built my home 4' off the ground so the flood didn't affect me.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Crude of me to think it, and to say it...... it’s like all of the bicycle riders peddling up and down the highways. Yes they have the right to be there..... but they have to suck it up and they must take some responsibility for their own safety. Every tractor trailer, farm truck, soccer mom on her cell phone, an me in my car could accidentally clip them and do great harm or even kill them. They are stupid to put themselves in harms way for no purpose other than the pretense of exercise. People that live in storm prone areas, along creeks and rivers, on mountain sides etc. have got to know that sooner or later it may be their turn to have their house damaged. You must do you due dilligance to have adequate insurance.
        capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I agree that getting insurance coverage is on the owner, however, "wording" leads the vast majority of people into thinking one thing while the legalese is "stating" another. It is a legalese trap by insurance lawyers and salespeople to get insurance premium (money) while not covering what the buyers think they are getting.

Downbursts that produce sudden straight line winds going it one direction fell trees in a straight line. Tornado insurance will not cover it because the trees are not thrown in a circular path over the wide area. Using terms like "Hurricane insurance" "tornado insurance" and "volcano insurance" are deliberately deceptive. Most of you guys here know to look for "trap" terms, but we still get caught at times. The purpose of these terms are deliberate, in my opinion, to get money without providing the coverage that the buyer thinks he or she is getting. This is psychologically manipulating. I am in the ministry and I spent days on end discussing with professors the difference between telling "truth" from "manipulation". I know what the truth is and I know what manipulation is. Writing, telling or selling something that you KNOW that others do not understand from your perspective is deception! IF I KNOW something is not understood by the second party, It is MY responsibility to tell them, otherwise it is PURE deception, and that is misleading of truth.

There are people who love the manipulation game and do not see it as that and will defend it. This is what the lawyers who write the wording for insurance companies do. I think the salesmen should be personally sued for misleading when they know what the truth IS but it is NOT what the buyer is getting what they think they are getting!
          Last edited by leehljp; 09-15-2018, 07:51 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I think the flooding we had here in NY, back in 1972 in the aftermath of Hurricane Agnes was no where close to what is going on in the Carolina's now. But my experience back then tells me that this present event will take a long while to recover from. Ingersoll-Rand, Painted Post was one of my clients for almost nine years prior to hurricane Agnes in June of 1972. While we got none of the substantial winds, we had several days of soaking rain which caused a lot of flooding across the central southern tier of NY, including here in Binghamton and westward to Elmira and into the Corning/Painted Post area. The latter probably was damaged more than anything else. I had done technical publications work for I-R for almost nine years prior to the flood and it took two weeks for the water to subside after the initial several days of rain. We had hardly any of the winds, but the rains over several days were severe and I couldn't wait to get out there and see what kind of damage we needed to recover from.

I remember the 75 mile drive out there from Binghamton and it was a shock to see the damage such flooding can cause, Roads washed out, houses destroyed or damaged and just flood waste,everywhere you looked. Damaged appliances and furniture, stacked so high on the streets of Corning and Painted Post that you actually couldn't see most of the house that the debris sat in front of. It is a testimony to the people who set about doing all the hard work of recovery and the reconstruction that is necessary in the wake of such calamity.

The I-R plant suffered millions of dollars in damage, with the main shops flooded almost to the ceilings. Machine tools had to be dismantled and cleaned, motors rebuilt, furniture and shop offices completely destroyed and thousands of records, drawings, and related materials lost. I recall walking down the alleyway to where the technical publications office were, and seeing hundreds of my illustrations plowed up in the mud and other debris... nine years of my illustration work simply gone! My feeling at the time was that though the loss had some personal impact, it was nothing compared to what most everyone else lost. My stuff could be redrawn or recovered from printed copy in other parts of the world, but what does a family do with dearly loved photos and possessions that represent one's life and family history?

We moved to Painted Post a little over a year later, when I-R hired me directly. I spent 30 years there and the place has almost totally recovered. BUT, for as much devastation as "Agnes" caused, it seems humans don't learn a lot. While prior to 72, much of the flooded area was farm land, today it is one big housing development, it's where Walmart and Home Depot has since been built, and dozens of smaller stores, shops, and businesses have sprung up. The cure for that flood of 72' was a large dam structure, south in Pennsylvania... built on a fault line.

When we moved there in late 1973, all kinds of new housing was being built on the flood plain, south along the river (which had over 20 ft of flood water) and there was substantial government incentives to buy! With all of the new guys at the plant, there was a lot of peer pressure to buy one of those houses, and you could get a nice split-level or raised ranch for around $50 K, with less than a 5% mortgage. But, there was no way I was going to move my wife and our three-year old son into one of those. After a couple of years we found a nice home over looking the village (and the flood area). When I later built my 18 x 25 ft deck, I used to point out to that I left built it so all those guys could tie up their bathtubs or life rafts, at my "dock". Fortunately most of the flooding since that time has been comparatively minor!

So I don't think we learn a lot from these events, not in Painted Post, and certainly not along the shores of North Carolina! I was in North Carolina in 1965, I took my first solo vacation, visiting all my relatives there (I was born in Rockymount). While there, I drove out to the coast to visit Kittyhawk and the outer banks. I loved how desolate the outer banks were, with a single black top roadway, no houses, shops... nothing but drifting sand dunes. (Sands and terrain change so much that you could actually note that telephone poles sink to different levels, and the roadway itself seemed to change on occassion, like the bridge I noted that was 50 yards off to the west of the present roadway.)

That trip was about this time of the year and about the only thing you could find was a mobile lunch place here or there. I recall asking about the desolation and one older guy told me, "Only a **** fool would build anything out here".... with the fall storms, hurricanes, and shifting winds, nothing survived on the outer banks, and that was how it was for the past hundreds of years. (There are more ship wreck off the Carolina shoals than almost anywhere else in the world.) While I've been back to NC many times, that was the last time I went to the coast.

Seeing all of Wednesday's and Thursday's news (before Florence made landfall), I see that whole area built up as if it were Long Island with thousands of beach front homes, hotels, etc. I noticed the same thing back in the late 80's when another hurricane attempted to wipe the area clean. It did a pretty good job of it at the time.

The ocean is beautiful, no question about it; and speculators will build and rebuild, sell property and make Millions. It seems like there is no end to having our wants override our good sense and our awareness of nature. I can't imagine what a surprise having lava flow must be, from something like a supposedly dormant volcano.... but a hurricane on the Carolina coast? I think I have to agree with that old guy I met back in 1965! But that said, I do feel for those who are caught up in this and I know that right now I've got a lot of relatives in central North Carolina who are suffering. My prayers are with everyone who is coping with this storm.

Prayers to all,

CWS
            Last edited by cwsmith; 09-16-2018, 11:03 AM. Reason: Typos
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Lee, there is a special place in **** for those who deliberately deceive others for gain and hopefully there is a separate place in the sewer under that place for those who deliberately deceive people leading them to loose everything.

CWS, people don’t learn from their mistakes, or mistakes made by others. Proof, our forefathers pushing west in their wagons, right past their neighbors burned out wagons, with scalped bodies on the ground. Then they wondered what was happening when their wagons were atacked and burned.
              Last edited by capncarl; 09-15-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by leehljp
                I agree that getting insurance coverage is on the owner, however, "wording" leads the vast majority of people into thinking one thing while the legalese is "stating" another. It is a legalese trap by insurance lawyers and salespeople to get insurance premium (money) while not covering what the buyers think they are getting.

Downbursts that produce sudden straight line winds going it one direction fell trees in a straight line. Tornado insurance will not cover it because the trees are not thrown in a circular path over the wide area. Using terms like "Hurricane insurance" "tornado insurance" and "volcano insurance" are deliberately deceptive.
                I did not know this! I am shocked at this sort of hair-splitting, but not surprised, because I expect the lowest of insurance companies.

Most of you guys here know to look for "trap" terms, but we still get caught at times. The purpose of these terms are deliberate, in my opinion, to get money without providing the coverage that the buyer thinks he or she is getting. This is psychologically manipulating. I am in the ministry and I spent days on end discussing with professors the difference between telling "truth" from "manipulation". I know what the truth is and I know what manipulation is. Writing, telling or selling something that you KNOW that others do not understand from your perspective is deception! IF I KNOW something is not understood by the second party, It is MY responsibility to tell them, otherwise it is PURE deception, and that is misleading of truth.
                How true - and how sad that the idea of personal responsibility is lost; we as a civilization have not evolved out of this mentality of wanting to trick others for personal gain!

There are people who love the manipulation game and do not see it as that and will defend it. This is what the lawyers who write the wording for insurance companies do. I think the salesmen should be personally sued for misleading when they know what the truth IS but it is NOT what the buyer is getting what they think they are getting!
                I like the idea of singling out the salesperson, which should also open up a path to their employers.

I think the first step should be that no victim of this should 'suck it up' - everybody should be encouraged to share their story, how they were duped, so the perpetrators are named and shamed. I think many are embarrassed that they were duped, but the shame lies on the ones doing it on others with pride.

Thanks for this post Lee. You have articulated what I have always thought of, but was never able to put in words. I will be quoting this a lot now on!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Dealing with insurance companies for a claim is nauseating, definitely frustrating, and is a real learning experience, mostly bad. In my previous house, the one that my family refers to as the “flood house” we paid for flood insurance for 29 years before we had a major claim. Nearly every year we lived there we experienced some sort of flood, thanks goodness they were nusance floods and only came up to the middle of the floor joists rather than inside the house. If this house had been build on a slab near grade like is so popular with builders nowadays we would have been a lot of trouble. Claims for damages to the central air conditioner and ducts were never paid because of deductibles or being denied for one reason or another. Damages to lawn mowers or my shop equipment were never paid because they were not in the house proper. In 2005 hurricane Dennis dropped over 2 feet of rain in the tributaries of our flood creek. I saw this potential flood coming and made dang sure the lawn mower, my portable welders, pressure washer, chain saws and every tool that I owned was not in the uninsured outbuildings but were in the house garage. Everything was photographed inside the house and garage, before, during and after the flood. It took me 3 months of inventory and documentation just to turn my claim. Most people couldn’t or probably wouldn’t go to this much trouble. The losses from my tools and equipment covered the deductible for our house loss claim. I was able to rebuild the house and sell it to someone that wanted it for rental property. The new owner foolishly let the flood insurance policy lapse and 2 years later the house flooded again.... 2 more times in one year.

I believe the malarkie that follows a tornado or windstorm to determine if it was a windstorm, updraft or downdraft or a real tornado is driven by insurance companies trying to drum up a reason not to pay damage claims.

capncarl.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl

I believe the malarkie that follows a tornado or windstorm to determine if it was a windstorm, updraft or downdraft or a real tornado is driven by insurance companies trying to drum up a reason not to pay damage claims.

capncarl.
                    I ran into this "insurance avoidance" when I did a conference in Natchez MS back in 2012. after one of the conferences the conversation turned to the weather. Here is basically what several said happened in the Natchez area: A TV company had just installed a new Doppler radar wether station at the cost of a couple of million dollars. It was working. A weather event came, blew the weather station to smithereens. But insurance would not pay for the damages because it was determined to be a "strait line" wind storm and not a tornado. They had tornado insurance but not "straight line" wind storm insurance.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

It makes my spine crawl thinking about these insurance slime balls. Just think, sister companies to insurance companies, mortgage lending companies just ripped of millions of their customers with similar tactics........ and our government, the people we voted in office to look after us, used our taxpayer money to bail out their failing companies. More slime balls helping other slime balls. There is a special place for them.

Comment

Working...