Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I guess they didn't spring for lightweight drywall

I've definitely seen worse in the US.

One of the residences in our building is undergoing a major renovation. Workers have been hauling out bag after bag of construction waste for weeks--drywall, tile, plumbing, metal studs, etc. They've just started drywall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drywall.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	834018

DIY question. My wife scraped up the passenger side of our car trying to pull into our spot rather than backing it in. Their parking spot is perpendicular to ours. The door is scraped down to bare metal. As you can see from this car, most develop a "patina" over time--either self-inflicted or from drive-bys. I don't see much point in taking it into an auto body shop to fix the doors and then repaint since we're here another 1.5 years. I do want to protect against rust, though. The real bad spot is about 3" in diameter. I did bring some wet/dry sandpaper. If I lightly scuff up the area, is there some kind of clear coat I can spray on it to block air/water?

Paul
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Hi Paul,

I would think so, do you have a automotive store in your area? I pretty much avoid doing my own body work, but I have done some and of course keep a paint stick around for little scratches. Most all cars today, I think have a "clear coat" over the paint. However, if you don't haved a auto-finishing or auto-parts store where you are, you might want to check a local art supply store. Years ago when I used to do my illustration on presentation board, we always used a product by Krylon called "Crystal Clear" acrylic spray, product number 1301. I believe they also had product number 1303, but that was a lacquer. The Crystal Clear acrylic was water proof and was used to protect the artwork from moisture. I've used it many, many times. How it would stand up outdoors here in the NE, I really don't know, but I have used it.

Hope things are going well with you all,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Your wife didn’t take parking lessons from the driver of this car by any chance did she? It doesn’t look like there was much he didn’t hit with that car! I also hope he doesn’t give rigging lessons because one small ratchet strap won’t hold that load for long.

Since you don’t have a shop any more then getting a professional looking repair is going to be really difficult. I’d try to locate a auto parts store similar to what we have in the states like NAPA, Advance, AutoZone, O’Rileys. All those parts stores sell automotive paint that come close to factory colors and should protect the damaged spot from rusting and looking as bad as your sample photo.

Comment

Working...