So... it's been a while since I posted (8+ years???) anything...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WLee
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

And I find it absolutely hilarious (in a good way) to see that despite my account having been around -- on the old BT2Central.com -- since circa 2004 (Yikes!)... that I am still labeled as a "Forum Newbie." LOL!

Guess that means something... like maybe in addition to getting my butt back into the workshop, that I actually need to start POSTING and commenting around these parts again. (BTW I haven't been entirely "idle" for 8 years, neither in "woodworking" terms, nor in visiting this forum -- pretty sure I've "lurked" and read through several different threads during the past decade, probably even logging in every now and again -- just haven't been actively posting or commenting.)

So why log in again today?

Well in part in flipping through one or another of the forum threads (I think one of the shop setup ones, but it really doesn't matter which) I saw a note from (I think Dave, aka dbhost) that he was trying to "get some more activity" going here at sawdustzone.org, and I guess realizing that I've benefited quite a lot from things that various people (is "Pappy" still around?) have shared here, especially the tips, and perhaps most importantly the pics!

So, maybe it's time (long past) that I give something BACK to the community?

Sure as shooting I have plenty of shop pics (digicams make that easy-peasy) and various little shop innovations jigs & stuff, and other things (finished work, etc) that I can share... might take a while to work through some of it, but -- while I do have several projects in the works, from small to large (not the least of which was a recent cleanup/redo of the wood shop) -- well I guess that just means I should have MORE to share, right??

Plus, being semi-retired -- and recently having ENDED a 10 year stint on the board of my local HOA (plenty of stories -- and pics -- there) managing the pool & pier areas, etc. -- well I certainly should have time.

Probably start with a thread on recent changes to my shop... and then we can go from there.

Cheers!
    WLee

P.S. Do want to also give a shout out to both Sam Conder for all his years of work building this site/forums (and yeah I saw the thread on him passing the torch) -- and to also give a massive set of "ATTABOYS" to dbhost & the gang that took over, moved, redid and improved the site under the new name... it's almost unbelievable that y'all managed to xfer and maintain ALL of the old content, and the old user accounts. Also an extra special "thank you" for the fact that -- unlike many other forums -- you've kept this one pretty "open" so that people can read the content & look at the pics, etc even if they're not logged in (because like me, they "forgot" their user name/password and had to go DIGGING for it in personal archives).
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Welcome back WLee!
    The user title is based on post count alone.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• WLee
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2004
      • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Originally posted by Black walnut
      Welcome back WLee!
      The user title is based on post count alone.
      Yeah, I figured that. Part of why I found it funny. (Figure it's rather shameful to still be a "Forum Newbie" with a 14+ year old account... means I need to get my but in gear and post/comment more.)

Cheers!

---
      EDIT: Trying to make good on my promise to begin posting & giving back to the community! See here: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...rb-enhance-etc
      Last edited by WLee; 06-28-2018, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's been fairly dead. I myself didn't visit for a couple years, not sure why. Actually I guess I was mostly just not visiting any woodworking sites at all for a while. Even forgot my login on another one. I was mostly building mundane things and didn't really feel a need for discussion or help on them I guess.

Comment

• WLee
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2004
          • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Originally posted by Carlos
          It's been fairly dead. I myself didn't visit for a couple years, not sure why. Actually I guess I was mostly just not visiting any woodworking sites at all for a while. Even forgot my login on another one. I was mostly building mundane things and didn't really feel a need for discussion or help on them I guess.
          Yeah, I can see that now.

OTOH, it's not entirely "dead" -- Bottom of the "Recent Posts" page shows:
          There are currently 497 users online. 6 members and 491 guests.
          I wouldn't call that "dead" -- just not "visibly ACTIVE" -- most likely just people (people without accounts or people with accounts, but who haven't logged in) who are "lurking" through OLD content, OLD forum threads -- which despite their age, are not necessarily bereft of value.

Be interesting to see WHICH of the overall "forum/topic" areas the "guests" are looking at. (I presume there is usage data on that, even if it isn't tagged to any "member.") Something tells me a lot of it is probably the "Tool Talk" and maybe even more {just gut instinct} the "Shop Setup, Layout and Design" area, which is pretty "timeless."

EDIT: Also, there's a certain "coziness" to a low-activity forum (albeit granted there has to be SOME activity) that gets "lost in the noise" when there is a LOT of activity or a LOT of "members"-- low activity/small "core" member count can be akin to a sort of "pen pal" correspondence (like back in the days of "snail mail" rather than "instant TXT messages"), just requires a bit more patience waiting for responses, and being happy with a SMALL "audience." (Which is my personal preference anyway.)
          Last edited by WLee; 06-29-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...