Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The Woodworking Shows

Talking about Woodworkers Guild,

I got a mail card from the woodworking shows http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/
    advertising a show in Kansas City Feb 16-17th.
    I looked and apparently that's the closest they get to Houston Texas any more.
    They've really cut back the circuit, I guess they weren't making enough money.

They used to one here every year and when I was younger, less experienced and needed stuff, they had some good sales and deals.
    I know I learned about a lot of tool types, bought stuff to the tune of a couple hundred or more dollars each year.

I have to admit not missing them in recent years, but it seems like something has passed...

I think they missed last years, too.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-12-2018, 04:56 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

They haven't been anywhere in the western half of the US in two or three years. Milwaukee is the closest to us this year.
    Chr's

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

It is this weekend in KC, but it is now two days only, instead of the three it used to be. The local places have not gone there for years and tend to have sales the same weekend. Our largest vendor, closed YEARS ago (TheWoodworkersChoice, both name and website) and the last times I went, some of the stuff you used to be able to get at the shows, were now order at the shows and have shipped to you. (casters for instance, kreg screws my dad asks for)
      I think part of the reason they still have it is the Mennonite presence. Audience that doesn't really use internet.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

They haven't been worth going to in several years. The last one I went to in Houston was an excuse to cruise on the Harley and meet with other forum members. Only 3 of us showed up but the ride was great!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

There haven't been any on the West Coast in the last 4 or 5 years and were going down hill before that

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

They used to come to the Twin Cities, and I went a few times. The first one I went to, maybe 10 or 12 years ago, I thought was pretty good. I picked up some stuff from a few of the cheaper vendors like Peachtree, and even bough my Kreg pocket-hole jig there. The last few were OK to look at, but I really didn't feel like I got my money's worth. They had about half the vendors as before, and several weren't even woodworking related (cookware, gutter guards, etc) and many of the others were so high end it wasn't even practical (sawmills, etc).

I kind of miss it though.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

My brother in laws and I do an annual trip and have for the past 14 years. The trips started out as excursions to the WW shows, running away from the wives and kids, and as an excuse to go someplace warm in the middle of winter. The last time we went to the actual show was in Atlanta in the spring of 2014 and it was pretty disappointing. There seem to be fewer every year and they are getting smaller as well. The last one we thought was worth it was Dallas in 2010. Typically, the vendor displays are nice and you get to touch and hold stuff you otherwise see only online, but I think some of the free seminars over the years have had more value when they're truly educational vs the ones that turn out to be a half hour sales pitch. The ones that stand out for me were Jim Heavy talking about shop setup and Apollo Air systems talking about benefits of HVLP systems without actually pushing their own systems. Marc Somerfeld's cabinet making seminar was good, but 50/50 education and sales pitch. I bought practically their entire product line and other than their pocket hole jig which was horrible, I've been really happy with all their products.

Chr's

Comment

• organicot
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2018

I was thinking of hitting one here at Chantilly as their schedule looked good, now am rethinking its not a good spend of time. Any other suggestions in general for shows?

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by organicot
                  I was thinking of hitting one here at Chantilly as their schedule looked good, now am rethinking its not a good spend of time. Any other suggestions in general for shows?
                  If you're making this decision based on my prior post, don't. for us it isn't worth a trip to the other side of the county. If there is something specific you want to see, go and if you've never been to one before, deifinitely go. Thre is still a good deal of information and neat stuff to see. There are some bargains to be had, but nothing life changing.
                  Chr's

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Reminds me of the old computer shows back in the mid to late 90's. Pre Internet and it was a blast to see all the equipment all in one place. I do remember getting good deals there.

I've never been to a woodworking show. The closest has always been a 2-3 hour drive for me and I never had the time to go. Of course most of my woodworking life has been in the Internet era, so that might have something to do it.
                    Joe

Comment

• billwmeyer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Weir, Ks, USA.
                      • BT3000

I usually go to the K.C. Show every year. Yes it is smaller than it used to be, but it's still full of sawdust making tools. I enjoy the seminars, especially those by Him Heavey. I had a stroke in July, so I missed this year. I hope to make it next year.
                      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Got this notice just recently for Houston Area Woodworkers THIS WEEKEND!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodworking show 2018 houston.JPG Views:	1 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	833089
                        Clearly not "ThewoodworkingShow" but trying to capitalize on a similar name or maybe that's just about all you can call it.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...