• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Windows 10 ranting

You know I finally took the plunge at the end of July when the upgrade offer expired.
    The obsoleting of all my Win XP machines convinced me to do the upgrade - or be left sometime with Win 7 dying.. I still have a couple of machines doing stuff that runs WIndows XP. Now dropbox doesn't work on my XP computer anymore.

So I installed Win 10 with dread on two machines. My employer-owned computer's IT dept doesn't support Win 10 or Win 8.

Well it did go smoother than I expected.
    Irritants: One Computer it says I need to activate it although I had a valid Win 7 license when that was installed.Now I gotta find the disc and see if I can clear the error message off the home page.
    I get messages saying I need to update my printer/scanner driver
    **** Wifi although its remembered has amnesia, I have to put in the wifi password every darn time it goes to sleep. I can't make it remember it.
    Stupidest crap of all. The Win 10 Calculator app Scientific mode (which I have to use because of big numbers floating point, trig, log and exponentials I do all the time, does NOT have a stupid 1/X function. The standard calculator mode does. But if you switch between them it clears the memory. What kind of advanced scientific calculator does not have 1/X????

If I ever have to reinstall Windows, how do I do that?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

LCHIEN ranting? I feel your pain! I see you were up at 1:54am struggling with the W10 pig. Hang in there so when you retire you can use my motto "in the past I HAD to conform to computer changes and act like I liked it. Now this crap is recreational and I don't have to conform or act like I like it! "
    This is a perfect example of what happens when you don't have a healthy free market system, instead a monopoly that can't get it right and leave it alone. If this kind of change the operating system and obsolete everything behind it mentality happened in other industry, say the automobile industry, where your 5 year old car wouldn't crank because the 2017s are out, everybody would totally abandon that manufacture and go to one that didn't use this skin the public for every dime they have mentality! !

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

A friggin' scientific calculator that doesn't have 1/X. Give me a break.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I guess they want you to use ^-1

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

The 1/x function is there, just hidden by default. Click the arrow button to the upper left of the keypad (above pi) and the inverse functions appear.
          Last edited by Tom Slick; 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

It may be like my calculator on the iPhone 4. A lot of functions are not there, then you turn the phone on its side and the rest of the functions show up. I had to just say duuuuuu.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
              The 1/x function is there, just hidden by default. Click the arrow button to the upper left of the keypad (above pi) and the inverse functions appear.
              Got me there. I thought the up arrow thing was to invoke the arc-trig functions. and other function Inverses
              I never thought the inverse of SQRT was 1/x. Very poorly thought out. Like the inverse function of x^2 should be SQRT
              I think the lack of buttons is due to the fact that they made this for fatfingered phones and tablets with touch screens instead of for desktop users like me with dual 1920 pixel screens.. Oh well, I've wiped it out and replaced it with an HP41C RPN calculator emulator which was the calculator I used through many years, as well as the Windows 7 calculator.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Oh well, I've wiped it out and replaced it with an HP41C RPN calculator emulator which was the calculator I used through many years, as well as the Windows 7 calculator.
                For whatever reason my friends and I got the HP RPN calculators in HS when everyone else had the graphing calculators. Now I can't remember why. I just remember the order of doing calculations wasn't immediately intuitive. I don't think we were doing the kind of math in HS to warrant it.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

The reason you don't have enough buttons on your calculator is that they have used fhem all up on tv remote controls! I've got buttons on mine for things that haven't been invented yet when all I need is on off, vol and channel select!

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I haven't even tried the calculator - now I know more but I'm not sure I want to. My windows 10 issue is my machine takes 7 minutes to boot up now. It is very predictable and always 7 minutes. I've tried defraging the hard drive and other tips I saw on-line but it still takes 7 minutes. I often use the tablet, as I am now, because I don't want to wait 7 minutes. I hated 8 (I used a windows 7 emulator) and like 10 better, except for the slow boots.

Comment

Working...