• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Catalytic Converter

I have a stinky problem with my 10 year old Suzuki SUV. It has a rotten egg hydrogen sulfide odor when running. It has gotten worse. No codes. The information I find on-line says it is the catalytic converter. But I also read today that silicone (like from anti-freeze) in the exhaust can cause the catalytic converter to break down. But it seems like 10 year old cars also have catalytics fail without something like a leaky head gasket putting coolant into the engine. It runs fine and gas mileage is the same as always. It just stinks. If I assume it is the catalytic and just the age I still have to decide if it's the catalytics in the exhaust manafold or the one under the car. The wikipedia article said the sulfur is picked up cold and then released hot. It seems like the ones in the exhaust manifold would never be very cold. But the smell is bad in the car which to me suggests the engine compartment. The catalytic under the car isn't hard but the 2 exhaust manifolds would be a lot more money and difficulty.

Thoughts?
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Probably it is Cat Converter is just shot. They do wear out. Try some different gas maybe higher Octane Could be an injector is making it run a little richer. When in mountains on some hill mine will smell like that when I get it more gas.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I did fill it with different brand and higher octane but in the 15 miles home it didn't help. It also used to be occasional and only while hot but seems to be near constant now. I plan to get under it tomorrow and see what it will take to replace it tomorrow. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Modern autos (vrs the 50,60,70 and 80's I use to work on) have a lot different exhaust systems. Now most are welded stainless and beyond the scope that most fix their own car folks are capable of. Thank goodness they last longer than they use to.
        Last edited by capncarl; 07-30-2016, 08:42 AM. Reason: spell check got me

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I will get under the zuk and scope out the cat replacement today but I think the issue is with the battery. My battery was bad, I left an interior light on for several days and drained it thoroughly and now it won't hold a charge, but I didn't think that was related. One of the few things my late father told me that stuck is when you're working on something and there are multiple issues, fix what you are most confident needs done first. Sometimes it fixes other things too. I got a new battery last night and put it in. Today it doesn't stink at all. When I was pulling the old battery, I noticed one of the caps was off and the cells didn't have much acid in them. So it got overcharged and started putting off gas. I need to keep an eye on the Catalytic and also the charging system but it seems to be OK now.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

You dad was right. We were having all kinds of cods show up on Wife's Mini. These didn't show up with OBDll scanner but with a BMW/Mini app. Finally the car wouldn't start charged batter now problem then started happening again, notice the car was not turning over like normal when starting checked the secret cods and it showed low voltage to some sensors. Went to Mini Dealer bought new battery end of problem. These new car with all the electronic and something else gotta have full battery charge at all times. I have noticed when i take to dealer for it's servicing the alway charge the battery before scanning and checking it out. Guess I don't need my Dwell meter any more. LOL

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I've driven it around a hundred miles since the battery replacement and no odor. The catalytic on this car can be changed by unbolting the old and bolting in the new. But the part is close to $300. Fortunately I do not need it.

I hope your mini didn't need coding. On my BMW, when its battery goes, I can just put a new one in but I am supposed to tell the car about the new battery. It is supposed to charge it differently based upon the size, type, and age. I have the cable to do this (about $100) but haven't used it in several years. There is also a phone/tablet app that will do it. The app is less than the cable but you also need a OBDII to Bluetooth adapter and a good one. So combined cost is around what the cable costs. Some people just buy a battery from the dealer (several hundred dollars) due to the coding. That may be what was intended (but not what I will do).

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

My blood boils when I think how far the auto industry has degressed in the computer controling things that don't really need controlling. Yesterday I tried to help my wife's cousin get their Ford Escape cranked. Due to her having a stroke and not driving now they have let the escape set and the battery die. We installed a new battery and the motor spins freely, probably the anti-theft computer keeping the car from being stolen! Now it is a dealer problem to get started and hundreds of the customers dollars trying to fix something that is not broke!
                capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the motor or starter spins?
                  If the starter spins but the motor does not then the throwout pawls that engage the starter are probably frozen from sitting too long. THe starter engages the motor by centrifugally throwing out some pawls to engage something (flywheel, crankshaft) to start the engine but when you let off the starter the pawls retract so there's no drag on the engine. if the starter spins freely the pawls are not engaging.
              • woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                My blood boils when I think how far the auto industry has degressed in the computer controling things that don't really need controlling.
                Unfortunately, safety and environmental issues have forced greater reliance on the computer to control all those things that have to be controlled, by law, safety and environmental issues.

One can still drive an older, simpler car, and some do. In spite of the complexity, most of us still prefer to drive a car with air bags, decent mileage, and reasonable emissions - and the computer is required for all of those.

Change is hard for most of as we age, it certainly is for me ;-)

--------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

The Computers and the Electronics in modern cars have allowed us to 400+hp clean engines. I still prefer the sound and fell of putting right down on my dual 4 barrel 289, 300 horse 66 Mustang. The isn't a modern car that can sound as good and the old muscle cars with glass packs.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I agree that computers and electronics have greatly improved our autos, but they cause their headaches. My f150 has a check engine light that has been on for 4 years. The ford dealership worked on it for days and said it could be fuel the gas cap or gas recirculation system. That's all been replaced and the light came back on in a week. They all agree it doesn't hurt anything so I just run with the light on. Now if anything else goes wrong I really won't know it. The door locks randomly lock whenever they want to. Sometimes it locks 30 seconds after I put it in park and get out. Not good when I'm launching the boat and can't get back in my truck. Too many things computerized that don't necessarily have to be computerized.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Most states you can't get a state inspection of the CE light is on???

• woodturner
                      woodturner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure how to reply to a comment on a comment :-)

The CE light must be off to pass emissions inspection, but some (most?) states have separate safety and emission inspections. The emissions inspection is generally only required in densely populated areas such as larger cities. In my state, for example, there are five counties or so where emissions testing is required, out of a few hundred. The CE light can be on for the safety inspection, at least in my state.

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah, that may be the case. In TX, the large metro areas require emissions testing as well as safety, but they are done at the same time. Costs extra.
                  • woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

My f150 has a check engine light that has been on for 4 years. The ford dealership worked on it for days and said it could be fuel the gas cap or gas recirculation system. That's all been replaced and the light came back on in a week.
                    I'm guessing the code is the "small evap leak" code? Have had that with my truck for a while. The hoses running from the engine compartment to the gas tank develop small leaks over time. Another common cause is the filler neck itself is not sealing well to the rubber filler hose.

One temporary fix may be to fill the gas tank full, clear the code, and drive a few miles. A lot of people around here get through emissions that way, the light doesn't come back on until the tank is about half empty.

--------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I think it was a small evaporate leak code. It took ford several days and several hundred dollars just to tell me that, so their computer diagnostics are not all they are touted to be. I've checked every inch of every hose and pipe under that truck that I can reach for a problem and I can't find anything. This truck has never been on a salt road, never been on a muddy dirt road so it looks like new under it. It's probably a bad or dirty sensor. I'm just glad this stupid code doesn't shut the truck down like the anti-theft does. What do they have emission tests for on the computer controlled cars? I thought that is computer is for.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

My blood boils when I think how far the auto industry has degressed in the computer controling things that don't really need controlling. Yesterday I tried to help my wife's cousin get their Ford Escape cranked. Due to her having a stroke and not driving now they have let the escape set and the battery die. We installed a new battery and the motor spins freely, probably the anti-theft computer keeping the car from being stolen! Now it is a dealer problem to get started and hundreds of the customers dollars trying to fix something that is not broke!
                        capncarl
                        I am thinking it is less likely to be the computer/ecm (although without testing, still a possibility), and more likely to be the bcm (body control module). I am wondering if you have an owners manual for the vehicle and if it said anything about replacement of the battery, and something like reprogram the keys to the car, so the car knows they are authorized.
                        On my GM, if the remote dies (thankfully it doesn't use Fords chip in key system), I have to reprogram the door locks for it to work.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

As long as I'm on a roll bashing the manufacturers and their computerized cars....... Now that they have cars that watch for other drivers and pedestrians and brake for you, why can't the dang car lay down on the horn and tell the fool that you would have run over to get out of the way? After all it beeps and dings like crazy when someone inside the car leaves the door ajar, light on when the key is off and doesn't buckle the seatbelt!

Comment

Working...